• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk NFL Rookie of the Year

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if they call him a system QB or a protected QB, as long as the team wins.

I personally don't think Dak is a system QB. Anyone suggesting that is not being objective IMO. I think Prescott stats are padded because he has such an awesome supporting cast. That is not a negative. It is just something to take into account. You you still have to play the games and he is doing it well. If we are being honest that shows that the Cowboys have their QB of the future and it is time for Romo to move on. It is not about the padded numbers but about the ability to play the position.

Playing QB in the NFL is hard and many of the sure hits have become busts in the NFL. Teams spend years and QB after QB after QB trying to get it right. Many teams have decent talent around their QB when they draft them. Very few come into the situation that Dak is in but there is still some talent around them. Dak has proven that he will be a star in the league and barring injuries the Cowboys QB for the next 10+ years. I don't think his numbers are as good as they could be but let's be real he is a rookie and they are not going to monster numbers just yet. IMO if Aaron Rodgers was the QB of the Cowboys he would probably be breaking single season records. That is because he is an All-Pro with years of experience. In about 3 years I see Dak putting up those very same numbers because he is only going to get better. He is not all the way there yet but he is going to get there fast.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But nothing Dak has done or had done to him makes me think he cannot be playing as a Dallas QB for a long while.
I think the only recent example of a QB playing at Daks level not being a superstar are RG3 and Nick Foles. Id say its a pretty safe bet that Dak is going to be around for awhile.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
system QB?
who cares

11-1 is all that matters
AND you'd feel the same way if he was your teams QB

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as I have said, you are the first person to not call him a scrub in probably 5 years.

Must be because you need him to not be a scrub for your argument.

Weeden was a 1st round pick, wasn't he? Was on a bad team, all that same crap that gives DMac your benefit of the doubt.

There are levels of scrub. McFadden is a league average back by ypc. Injuries have been his downfall.

Weeden being a 1st round pick has Browns written all over it. Who drafts a 28 year old QB in the first round?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak really has not other competition right now IMO

However, depending on the success of the Bucs at seasons end, I could see Winston getting some votes

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Career passer rating -

Wilson - 100
Romo - 95
I think he meant throwing a football, not passer rating. Romo's Ints and attempts to make too much happen some times have hurt his career passer rating, as has being on some bad teams,,,but I like this line of thinking...it means Dak is the 3rd best QB in the NFL:suds:

career passer rating
Dak: 108.6
Wilson: 100.3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real question, because I haven't seen many 'Boys games this year, has Dak been really lit up this year yet? I'm curious as to how he does when he eventually gets planted in a game. And there's LOTS of really good QB's who get gunshy when they get rocked, so relax Cowboys fans.
Yes. Has even had a few late hits. He does a great job in avoiding a lot of the hits too. In the Philly game the pressure seemed to affect his footwork a little for a few series. But then he moved past it and was fine. He's never cringed when about to be hit or anything like that. He stands in and makes his reads regardless of the pressure. What he is finally doing now is taking off and running a little more in those pressure situations.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that it looks like Dak could use some improvement on is staring down receivers. It doesn't matter quite so much because he has the protection and play action that to allow it, but as time goes on and eventually the Dallas line takes a step back, he'll need to improve there.

It's not really a criticism because most young QBs do the same thing. I'll just be interested to see how he progresses in that area.
I'd say he has probably done that a few times, but all QBs do. From watching him, he seems to do that less than most QBs do and certainly less than most rookie QBs. I've thought it was one of his strengths. I'm not sure how to definitively compare, but IMO, no.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't think Dak is a system QB. Anyone suggesting that is not being objective IMO. I think Prescott stats are padded because he has such an awesome supporting cast. That is not a negative. It is just something to take into account. You you still have to play the games and he is doing it well. If we are being honest that shows that the Cowboys have their QB of the future and it is time for Romo to move on. It is not about the padded numbers but about the ability to play the position.

Playing QB in the NFL is hard and many of the sure hits have become busts in the NFL. Teams spend years and QB after QB after QB trying to get it right. Many teams have decent talent around their QB when they draft them. Very few come into the situation that Dak is in but there is still some talent around them. Dak has proven that he will be a star in the league and barring injuries the Cowboys QB for the next 10+ years. I don't think his numbers are as good as they could be but let's be real he is a rookie and they are not going to monster numbers just yet. IMO if Aaron Rodgers was the QB of the Cowboys he would probably be breaking single season records. That is because he is an All-Pro with years of experience. In about 3 years I see Dak putting up those very same numbers because he is only going to get better. He is not all the way there yet but he is going to get there fast.
You keep bringing up Rodgers having a better year and now this comment about single season records. Dak is no Aaron Rodgers for his career of course and no sane person would say otherwise, but this is where the logic goes awry. Dak is 3rd in the NFL is rating, has a 19-2 TD to Int ratio, is on pace to throw for 4,000 yards, has a much higher comp % than Rodgers, a much higher YPA (8.3 to 6.8!!!), Rodgers has thrown over 3 times as many ints, total TD Rodgers wins 32-24. Rodgers only throws for 26 more yards per game.

So basically Rodgers is having a better year to you because he has 34% more pass attempts (479 - 358)? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Dak is having a much better year. One of the reasons Dak has less yards is because his team is 11-1 and running instead of throwing late in most games and the biggest reason they are 11-1 is because of Dak. Yes, they also have a much better running game and rely on that even early in games which is of course another reason why Rodgers wouldn't be setting records with this team. He would have less passing yards than he currently does because he wouldn't throw as much. But the fact that Dak is so efficient does cost him on the counting stats because it puts his team in the lead and keeps them there. Look no further than their head to head match-up. Rodgers missed a bunch of wide open guys for big plays and that is why his team lost by 2 TDs.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably on earth, were you ever sober last year?

hell yes, most of the time as I really don't drink that much anymore

smoke on the other hand.......................

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quarterback position is much more difficult to play than running back, and it ain't even close.
Rookie of the year..........Dak Prescott, all day long

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep bringing up Rodgers having a better year

Yes I think Aaron Rodgers is having a better year than Dak Prescott. That is merely one man’s opinion. I would not say I am right nor will I say I am wrong. I just personally believe that. I have not hid behind my statement that Dak benefits from Zeke and would not do as well if he did not have him there. You made statement that I am basing my opinion because Rodgers throws the ball more. I am not even sure how you came to that conclusion. I never even hinted to that. However….I will reply to your points. Again…..this is not saying I am right. I am just providing the information as to why I made opinion.

Dak is 3rd in the NFL is rating
That does not make him an MVP. It could mean he is lighting up the NFL or he is not making many mistakes. Now I am not saying that Dak is not doing a great job. I already said he has repeatedly I just think other QB’s are better and deserve MVP Consideration more. Dak is also tops in NFL Total QBR. Rodgers is 4th but there is more to rating a QB than stats otherwise we would just use computers to generate awards or designate who the best players are.

is on pace to throw for 4,000 yards,
And Rodgers is on pace to throw for 4400 yards. However…..I expect both to surpass their projected number. I think Rodgers will throw for close to 5k and Dak to throw for 4300- 4400 yards.

has a 19-2 TD to Int ratio
Those are fantastic numbers to be honest. I am not going to deny that but as I said before there is more to it than just individual stats. They help tell the story but not all of it. Remember Nick Foles. He once had a 27-2 TD to int ratio.

has a much higher comp % than Rodgers,
I would not consider 3% a much higher completion percentage.

much higher YPA (8.3 to 6.8!!!),
I think YPA is one of the most overrated stats out there. This is not a new stance for me I have been saying this for many years now. I am not saying it is not viable but I think some give it way too much credit.

Rodgers has thrown over 3 times as many ints
Saying it like this is nothing more than twisting a stat to make it seem worse than it is. Throwing only 7 interceptions after so many attempts is actually really good. Yes Dak’s is better but Rodgers is still considered great according to NFL standards.

One of the reasons Dak has less yards is because his team is 11-1 and running instead of throwing late in most games and the biggest reason they are 11-1 is because of Dak.
This argument is used a lot by people to defend Dak’s lack of yards. This argument only works if the Cowboys are blowing everyone out or at a minimum have 2 score leads late. I never thought it was a good argument and still do not. I have stated that the Cowboys are a run first offense. Their game plan always seems to be run first. Only the Buffalo Bills have fewer pass attempts.

The Cowboys lead the NFL in rush attempts with 391. Of those 391 rushes 115 come in the 4th Qtr with 66 of them being late game rushes. However….as a team they do run more in the 4th than they run. They have 89 pass attempts in the 4th Qtr. That is 26 more rushes but that number is not enough to account for Dak’s lack of stats IMO.

The Cowboys are probably the most balanced team in the NFL when it comes to offense. I think they are the most talented in the NFL. They put fear in defenses just when Emmitt, Irvin and Aikman were there. Here is their total pass/run ratio.

1st Qtr – 94 run/84 pass

2nd Qtr – 71 run/110 pass

3rd Qtr – 78 run/70 pass

4th Qtr – 115 run/89 pass