• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk Dan Campbell

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, he should've gone for it more. Go for the TD instead of kicking the FG at the end of the first half. That's the real reason that the Lions lost. Dan Campbell wasn't aggressive on that last play call of the first half.
No.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Goff made a great play there. He extends the play by stepping up and getting left and then he puts the ball outside because the defender had inside leverage. He has to make that play.

You might be right about that. I'm relying on what the broadcaster said about the pass being a little bit off, but he might be wrong.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right about that. I'm relying on what the broadcaster said about the pass being a little bit off, but he might be wrong.
It wasn’t the “perfect” pass but under pressure and on 4th down where you can’t throw away or take a sack he put the ball where his guy could make a play and Reynolds failed to make the play. Hey…that’s just sports.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does his kicker being really bad from those distances change things? Does for me.

Thought his worse decision was the late run AND using a TO after it failed.
What is he “really bad” at exactly. I don’t remember the exact distances but He didn’t miss a kick in his limited tries this year. From 40-49 he has made 86% over the past 4 years. From 30-39 he is 16 out of 17 over the past 4 years.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is he “really bad” at exactly. I don’t remember the exact distances but He didn’t miss a kick in his limited tries this year. From 40-49 he has made 86% over the past 4 years. From 30-39 he is 16 out of 17 over the past 4 years.
Screenshot_20240130-184334~2.png

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the kicker making it was a lower percentage than going for it.

Based on 75% conversion on 4th down in the reg season.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF
That’s just a moronic take

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More retarded bull shit. This is the Butterfly Effect taking place in sports. A FG at 8 minutes of the 3Q completely changes game script.
there is no way to know for sure but if they made that first kick it really makes it unlikely that SF comes back. The 4th down stop gave them momentum. A FG would have kept that momentum strongly on Detroits side in addition to the obvious of putting them up 3 scores with a shit ton of pressure

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this year FA career when it suits you? And how many of those 4th downs were 4th and 1. Like I said thats a horrible take. Didn’t miss a FG THIS year and is 86% from that distance in the last 4 years. Stop with the cherry picking of stats. He had one bad year and it was a long time ago.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this year FA career when it suits you? And how many of those 4th downs were 4th and 1. Like I said thats a horrible take. Didn’t miss a FG THIS year and is 86% from that distance in the last 4 years. Stop with the cherry picking of stats.
#facts

Sorry it doesn't suit your narrative.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've pointed out several times Patterson would have a top 10 field goal percentage if he was qualified lol.

I'm not saying he's good or even league average...but he's not so bad that certain situations don't make much more sense to kick the field goal.

That said I don't blame Campbell for not kicking the one long field goal with Badgely.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#facts

Sorry it doesn't suit your narrative.
facts are what you are ignoring. You found a cherry picked stat with a small sample size and pretend it’s meaningful. Few who watch football would assume converting was a higher % than making a FG there

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I stole it from @Tainthappening. I just didn’t think enough people were focused on that aspect of stuff.

I don’t know if Campbell knows those numbers. But he does know his team. More than any of us! I don’t think people respect the work enough that these guys put in to gain that feel for their team. If this was the most conservative coach in the world and he went opposite and that outcome didn’t work out I’d be defending that guy to because he’s earned that right. He’s put in the work and he has to be who he is in the NFC Championship game riding the philosophy of football that gets you there.

Reactions: DJ

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I stole it from @Tainthappening. I just didn’t think enough people were focused on that aspect of stuff.

I don’t know if Campbell knows those numbers. But he does know his team. More than any of us! I don’t think people respect the work enough that these guys put in to gain that feel for their team. If this was the most conservative coach in the world and he went opposite and that outcome didn’t work out I’d be defending that guy to because he’s earned that right. He’s put in the work and he has to be who he is in the NFC Championship game riding the philosophy of football that gets you there.

I definitely agree that his stamp on this team and its culture is a big part of why they're there. I also think he does things like go for 2 from the 7 that is completely ridiculous and is by every metric a poor decision.

I think both things can be true. But he's gotta find a healthy balance. I will say an improved defense would help his cause though.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no way to know for sure but if they made that first kick it really makes it unlikely that SF comes back. The 4th down stop gave them momentum. A FG would have kept that momentum strongly on Detroits side in addition to the obvious of putting them up 3 scores with a shit ton of pressure
One could argue that SF has momentum getting points to start the half. SF has as potent an offense as there is in the league. Defensive conservative looks from a shaky secondary that struggles to tackle with a 17 point lead and 8 minutes left in the third quarter means even after a made FG, Niners are going to move the ball and score. That’s a product of the Niners identity and their execution all year. The matchup is the matchup.

Campbell isn’t beyond criticism here. His style of football should come with a plan to feel that shift after the Ayiuk catch off the face mask/Gibbs fumble.

Campbell has his job because he’s the master motivator. He needs to come through there as a motivator. He didn’t. The rough aspect of leaning on motivating is that you’re dependent on the people you motivate to perform.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One could argue that SF has momentum getting points to start the half. SF has as potent an offense as there is in the league. Defensive conservative looks from a shaky secondary that struggles to tackle with a 17 point lead and 8 minutes left in the third quarter means even after a made FG, Niners are going to move the ball and score. That’s a product of the Niners identity and their execution all year. The matchup is the matchup.

Campbell isn’t beyond criticism here. His style of football should come with a plan to feel that shift after the Ayiuk catch off the face mask/Gibbs fumble.

Campbell has his job because he’s the master motivator. He needs to come through there as a motivator. He didn’t. The rough aspect of leaning on motivating is that you’re dependent on the people you motivate to perform.

I love Campbell but this may have been the worst coaching performance in NFC Championship game history. The 2 decisions to go for it on 4th down, the decision to run the ball on 3rd down at the goal line at the end of the game and then the worst decision of all to call a timeout before 4th down Add up to just disastrous day and a coach that did everything he could to lose the game for his team. they would have been better off if he fainted at half time and had to be brought to the hospital.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Campbell but this may have been the worst coaching performance in NFC Championship game history. The 2 decisions to go for it on 4th down, the decision to run the ball on 3rd down at the goal line at the end of the game and then the worst decision of all to call a timeout before 4th down Add up to just disastrous day and a coach that did everything he could to lose the game for his team. they would have been better off if he fainted at half time and had to be brought to the hospital.
The goal line run on 3rd down is indefensible as is the 2 pt attempt from the 7 yard line in the Dallas game earlier this season. I’m with you there. All coaches have to evolve. Campbell putting each of his ballsy moves under study this off season to analyze the aggregate and then fine tune it is the difference between a guy becoming a next level great coach or another forgotten man in the sport.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 9-20 stat that people keep pulling up is misleading.

It would have been a 48 yard field goal.

I don’t care that Badgely missed a few kicks from 54 yards in 2020. That has no bearing on how likely he is to kick a 48 yard field goal today.

His stats from 45-50 over the last 2 seasons is what we should be looking at.

Not 48+.