• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk NFL Rookie of the Year

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dallas fans heard all about emmitt wasn't emmitt without the line. Troy wasn't anything special without emmitt. Mike was lucky to have 10 good players around him.

ain't nothing new for Dallas fans, nothing we haven't seen for years

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McFadden's 2015 Football outsiders DVOA was -0.2% (#6 OL in run blocking)
In 2014 it was -13.9% for Oakland (#28 OL in run blocking)
In 2013 it was -17% for Oakland (#26 OL in run blocking)
In 2012 it was -26.7% for Oakland (#29 OL in run blocking)

Elliott is 18.8% in their ranking so a pretty clean 20% boost to their run game by their weird data. Thats solid. Dallas oline is probably giving their run game about the same level of boost over a sub par one.

Dak is pulling 36.2%.
Cassel in 2015 was -23.7%. Moore -9.7%. Romo -22.4%

So Dak is probably roughly giving 50% boost to the passing game from last year. Thats why they are 11-1.

I think Dak is the clear OROY at the moment.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is a better passer than Wilson, and he's not a game manager. So you are saying essentially that game manager or not, the success of Dallas is only because of the "situation". Makes no sense at all, but I'm sure it does to you.

Again, this goes back to my point if an OL is all anyone needs to make a QB and RB look this good then why does anyone draft anything but OL?

Career passer rating -

Wilson - 100
Romo - 95

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dallas fans heard all about emmitt wasn't emmitt without the line. Troy wasn't anything special without emmitt. Mike was lucky to have 10 good players around him.

I think there is an argument that good players can make other good players look better. Having a team full of good players and a couple of great isnt a bad thing at all.

Take Alabama in college, for example. Half of their players bust yet their teams are unstoppable. Why do some of their guys bust? Some of the great players cover up the weaknesses to some of the average players.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that it looks like Dak could use some improvement on is staring down receivers. It doesn't matter quite so much because he has the protection and play action that to allow it, but as time goes on and eventually the Dallas line takes a step back, he'll need to improve there.

It's not really a criticism because most young QBs do the same thing. I'll just be interested to see how he progresses in that area.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real question, because I haven't seen many 'Boys games this year, has Dak been really lit up this year yet? I'm curious as to how he does when he eventually gets planted in a game. And there's LOTS of really good QB's who get gunshy when they get rocked, so relax Cowboys fans.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buckle up Dallas fans.

Prescott reminded me of Wilson from early on in the season. You could win a Superbowl NEXT year :), and be perennially in the playoffs for the next two, and people will still argue that Dak is the product of something.

NW Pats is arguing this month that Wilson still isn't capable of being a pocket passer.

So... get used to it.

I'm ok with it as long as we win.

BTW, we need to win this year. Next year won't be much better but the road will be tougher with the schedule changes. And he has reminded me more of Big Ben, the way he came into the league. Which if he follows Ben as closely has he has done so far then we will lose in the NFCCG.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup, but when it comes to the HoF or recognition...well those OL men were just run of the mill scrubs except for Larry.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that it looks like Dak could use some improvement on is staring down receivers. It doesn't matter quite so much because he has the protection and play action that to allow it, but as time goes on and eventually the Dallas line takes a step back, he'll need to improve there.

It's not really a criticism because most young QBs do the same thing. I'll just be interested to see how he progresses in that area.

I have heard the opposite, that defenders say he is good at looking defenders off. I am not following your line of thinking that the OL can cover up his staring down receivers. If he is staring them down, the DB's will see it no matter now long he is able to stare them down. Right? asking.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real question, because I haven't seen many 'Boys games this year, has Dak been really lit up this year yet? I'm curious as to how he does when he eventually gets planted in a game. And there's LOTS of really good QB's who get gunshy when they get rocked, so relax Cowboys fans.

Yes, he has been lit a few times. Late hits too.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he has been lit a few times. Late hits too.

That's an encouraging sign.

Three QB's I assign that to lately are Wilson, Carr and Dak.

Wentz looks promising, but not as advanced, and I admit I haven't watched enough of Mariotta and Winston

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an encouraging sign.

Three QB's I assign that to lately are Wilson, Carr and Dak.

Wentz looks promising, but not as advanced, and I admit I haven't watched enough of Mariotta and Winston

I think mariota and winston are finally catching up to the NFL speed. Dak doesn't have to, the OL can slow it down just enough that his skills translate from college to NFL. Wentz is hurt by going from a much easier college competition level to the NFL. Plus he had little training camp. Dak being in the SEC did help, no matter what anti-SEC people say.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard the opposite, that defenders say he is good at looking defenders off. I am not following your line of thinking that the OL can cover up his staring down receivers. If he is staring them down, the DB's will see it no matter now long he is able to stare them down. Right? asking.

No. A DB can't just look at the QBs eyes forever in order to try to jump a route. The receiver will eventually get by him.

I've only watched a few of his games so I can't speak on him completely. Just something I've seen that, with less protection would likely be trouble.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buckle up Dallas fans.

Prescott reminded me of Wilson from early on in the season. You could win a Superbowl NEXT year :), and be perennially in the playoffs for the next two, and people will still argue that Dak is the product of something.

NW Pats is arguing this month that Wilson still isn't capable of being a pocket passer.

So... get used to it.
I don't care if they call him a system QB or a protected QB, as long as the team wins.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I like is I've seen almost EVERY game that matters in this conversation.

And I mean EVERY.

Dak has done really fucking well.

So has Ryan. So has Brady. So has Carr. So has Stafford.

Others too.

But nothing Dak has done or had done to him makes me think he cannot be playing as a Dallas QB for a long while.

He is bigger than the Wee One and is seemingly similar in accident avoidance.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if they call him a system QB or a protected QB, as long as the team wins.

I think you actually believe that now, but it'll chafe just a bit if the success continues.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you actually believe that now, but it'll chafe just a bit if the success continues.
Not really, I don't even argue too much when others try to put down the triplets. It is what it is.