• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

K Love Trade Rumors start heavy in 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what is so difficult to understand here. Minnesota has zero leverage when it comes to trading Kevin Love. They have 2 choices and only 2 choices:

1.) They can trade him to a team that Love is willing to agree to a sign and trade with.

2.) They can lose him to free agency and get nothing in return.

He has said the Lakers are his preferred destination. He has also said that he wants to go to a team that will win and contend for a title. If the Lakers can convince him that they have a plan that will have him contending for a title within 2-3 years, it is very likely that he will be a Laker regardless of what Minnesota's GM wants.

If the Lakers can't convince him that they can be contenders within 2-3 years, then it is very likely that he will go someplace else. Bottom line, Kevin Love holds all the cards. It doesn't matter what any team offers the T-Wolves, if he doesn't want to play there.

While Love is a talented player, be careful with what I think some of you are wishing for.

My opinion is the a Lakers need to keep and hit a home run with this draft pick.
Don't the Suns own next years pick because of Nash?

If Love wants to become a Laker after next year as a FA, then go that route if no better FA options become available.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this - I think he can be a great side piece, but not a player you build around.

If you have another superstar he's a great sidekick, a great Pippen

But his leadership is questionable and he is decidedly not clutch. He gets worse as games go along.....his numbers in the 4th quarters of games is terrible.

Pair him with another young star and you might have something though.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he want to go to the Lakers? They're on a downfall.

They will have Kobe back.
They will have a high draft pick in a deep draft year.
They will have Gasol off the books next year (this could turn into Love).
They can surround these guys with role players and be a contender, and if they make some other favorable moves as the Lakers are known for look out.
They're the Lakers, players want to go there more than any other destination due to their history. Their "downfalls" never last longer than a few years.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will have Kobe back.
They will have a high draft pick in a deep draft year.
They will have Gasol off the books next year (this could turn into Love).
They can surround these guys with role players and be a contender, and if they make some other favorable moves as the Lakers are known for look out.
They're the Lakers, players want to go there more than any other destination due to their history. Their "downfalls" never last longer than a few years.

I think this is a detriment more than a positive. I don't think the Lakers contend again as long as he is playing. He's simply too inefficient as a scorer, at this point his offense hurts his teammates if he has to jack up so many shots.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a detriment more than a positive. I don't think the Lakers contend again as long as he is playing. He's simply too inefficient as a scorer, at this point his offense hurts his teammates if he has to jack up so many shots.
In 2012-2013 He shot over 46%, above his career average.
In limited time 2013-2014 he was down to just above 42%, about the same as Westbrook; is he a detriment to the Thunder offense?
It also may have something to do with the team around him. Who was he going to pass to who was more likely to score? Get that high first rounder and Love in there and see if he still chucks it up there.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2012-2013 He shot over 46%, above his career average.
In limited time 2013-2014 he was down to just above 42%, about the same as Westbrook; is he a detriment to the Thunder offense?
It also may have something to do with the team around him. Who was he going to pass to who was more likely to score? Get that high first rounder and Love in there and see if he still chucks it up there.

Westbrook is at times a huge detriment, especially when he decides to play hero ball, which Kobe has pretty much made a career of.

Convincing top FAs to give up shots to Kobe is NOT an easy sell. As long as he's there it's going to be HIS team.

Who knows, maybe Love has no ego......but I'd wager he most likely does.

IMO Kobe is a chucker......and everyone on his team and the league knows this as well. I'm not sold he's willing to take a backseat or even sideseat to anyone. I guess time will tell.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook is at times a huge detriment, especially when he decides to play hero ball, which Kobe has pretty much made a career of.

Convincing top FAs to give up shots to Kobe is NOT an easy sell. As long as he's there it's going to be HIS team.

Who knows, maybe Love has no ego......but I'd wager he most likely does.

IMO Kobe is a chucker......and everyone on his team and the league knows this as well. I'm not sold he's willing to take a backseat or even sideseat to anyone. I guess time will tell.

But that career of hero ball has led to 5 rings in Kobe's case.

And I agree, it will be Kobe's team until he retires; but that is what 2-3 years? I think Love would love to come in play with Kobe and break in the new guys for a few years and then take over as the big name. Shaq and Kobe were able to coexist both believing that they were the #1 option for a good run, why not Love and Kobe for a shorter term?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that career of hero ball has led to 5 rings in Kobe's case.

And I agree, it will be Kobe's team until he retires; but that is what 2-3 years? I think Love would love to come in play with Kobe and break in the new guys for a few years and then take over as the big name. Shaq and Kobe were able to coexist both believing that they were the #1 option for a good run, why not Love and Kobe for a shorter term?

Doesn't make any real sense.

He can go to GS (for example)with Curry, Thompson, etc - a young loaded team on the rise. He doesn't have to worry about 2-3 years from now, breaking in young guys, or retiring stars. Not an issue.

Kobe won playing hero ball because his much maligned teammates bailed him out. He had two 7 foot all stars in the paint to rebound his many misses. That's not the case anymore.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can go to GS (for example)with Curry, Thompson, etc - a young loaded team on the rise. He doesn't have to worry about 2-3 years from now, breaking in young guys, or retiring stars. Not an issue.

Kobe won playing hero ball because his much maligned teammates bailed him out. He had two 7 foot all stars in the paint to rebound his many misses. That's not the case anymore.

Assuming we get love. Our best players IMO are.

Curry
Love
Iguodala
Klay
Bogut

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does Love do again?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He does NOT hold all the cards.

They can send him anywhere they want......he's not a free agent until the end of next season. It doesn't HAVE to be a sign and trade, something your Lakers found out the hard way with Dwight Howard.

Minny is not forced into pennies on the dollar here. And I doubt Love is going to force his way to any team.

Why contend in 2-3 years when you can contend RIGHT NOW? That's the question. That's why he's listed several teams of interest, not just the Lakers. The Lakers are the hometown team, that's obvious.....but once again - they have nothing to offer. Salaries do have to match you know, so what pieces would they give up? They have nothing.

All it takes is some contending team to make a quality offer, that's willing to take their chances on resigning him. ONE GM with an ego. Once again - you Lakers fans should be WELL understanding of this concept.

That's just fine. If they want to trade him without a sign and trade deal to the Suns or Hawks or whomever - great. We will just get him for free in 1 more year, and keep our draft pick.

Or they can swap 1st round picks if we move into the top 3 or so. Our 3rd for Love and your 13th. Point is, they will be forced to sell him cheap. They will not get top dollar because no team in their right mind is going to pay that for a 1 year rental.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said 2-3 years until Kobe retires and it can be his team, not that with him, Kobe, and a good draft pick they could be competitive. What is that GS team going to have to trade to get him there? They can't keep all the pieces and him too. And in GS it won't be his team either, it'll still be Curry's. Love gives you 8 more points and 3 more rebounds in 3 more minutes than Lee is giving at the same position and Love requires more touches.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said 2-3 years until Kobe retires and it can be his team, not that with him, Kobe, and a good draft pick they could be competitive. What is that GS team going to have to trade to get him there? They can't keep all the pieces and him too. And in GS it won't be his team either, it'll still be Curry's. Love gives you 8 more points and 3 more rebounds in 3 more minutes than Lee is giving at the same position and Love requires more touches.

Actually, yes they can

Reports out already - David Lee, Harrison Barnes, 1st rounder, and some throw ins......that's what's been reported TODAY.

That trumps anything the Lakers could ever hope to offer, and keeps the core team intact.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, yes they can

Reports out already - David Lee, Harrison Barnes, 1st rounder, and some throw ins......that's what's been reported TODAY.

That trumps anything the Lakers could ever hope to offer, and keeps the core team intact.

That would be pretty good if they can pull it off. And I agree, better than anything the Lakers could offer (I was thinking the Lakers have to wait for FA next year). Not sure the Wolves would want to pretty much trade Love for Lee, but they do need to get something and not just let him walk.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be pretty good if they can pull it off. And I agree, better than anything the Lakers could offer (I was thinking the Lakers have to wait for FA next year). Not sure the Wolves would want to pretty much trade Love for Lee, but they do need to get something and not just let him walk.

The wolves are pushing for Thompson as well, which GS is probably not going to give up, but it's not a bad deal as it stands.

There will be other good offers from other teams. The Lakers really need to hope these all fail, or that Love doesn't resign.

If Love hits the FA market, I think he's a Laker no question.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wolves are pushing for Thompson as well, which GS is probably not going to give up, but it's not a bad deal as it stands.

There will be other good offers from other teams. The Lakers really need to hope these all fail, or that Love doesn't resign.

If Love hits the FA market, I think he's a Laker no question.

There will be other offers, but I'm not sure how many Love would be willing to do a sign and trade for; as you said with this he would go to a team ready to compete now (if they can all manage to be healthy at the same time for once). I don't know how many other places there are that are interested, ready to contend, and have pieces to move that would interest Minny.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers need Love to hit free agency after next season. They just don't have the tradable assets other than this years 1st rounder. I believe since they are under the cap, they can deal that 1st rounder for Love, nothing else included. I doubt that is enough even if they get into the top 3.

I think the Lakers would have to bring in a 3rd team to make a deal work. It would have to be a team that wants Gasol and Gasol wants to go there. A contending team. Gasol would have to agree to a sign and trade which may be the only way he gets to a legit contender anyway.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they don't trade him....

Kevin Love may want out of Minnesota, but Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor expects the All-Star forward to be with the team next season.

Taylor told the Pioneer Press on Monday that he doesn't plan to trade Love despite the player's intention not to re-sign with the Timberwolves when his contract expires after the 2014-15 campaign.

"I should never say never because who knows what might come up? But that's not our plan," Taylor told the newspaper.

"I'm not in a position where you would say absolutely I wouldn't do it, because what if something that I can't even speculate [on] happens? You'd say, 'You're nuts, Glen.' Maybe some team puts a value on him that's different than we suspect."

Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor doesn't intend to trade Kevin Love - ESPN

Obviously this is the best case scenario for the Lakers if Love gets to free agency after next season. A lot of time before that time comes though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He does NOT hold all the cards.

They can send him anywhere they want......he's not a free agent until the end of next season. It doesn't HAVE to be a sign and trade, something your Lakers found out the hard way with Dwight Howard.

Minny is not forced into pennies on the dollar here. And I doubt Love is going to force his way to any team.

Why contend in 2-3 years when you can contend RIGHT NOW? That's the question. That's why he's listed several teams of interest, not just the Lakers. The Lakers are the hometown team, that's obvious.....but once again - they have nothing to offer. Salaries do have to match you know, so what pieces would they give up? They have nothing.

All it takes is some contending team to make a quality offer, that's willing to take their chances on resigning him. ONE GM with an ego. Once again - you Lakers fans should be WELL understanding of this concept.

Your entire post pretty well proves my point.

Sure, I suppose a team could trade for him, but do you honestly think that after what Dwight pulled in L.A. last year that a team is going to risk that happening to them? They give up valuable assets hoping they can convince him to stay, only to have pull a Dwight on them?

Whether people like it or not, the Lakers are a destination franchise for most players. It's a pretty safe bet that most of these teams are thinking that if it can happen to the Lakers, it can happen to them.

Additionally, what would a team have to give up for a player of his caliber? Suppose he goes to Chicago or Golden State. What do they have to give up to get him? He's not likely to want to go to a team that ends up being just like Minnesota because of what they had to give up to get him.

Imo, the teams that have the most tradeable assets for him without having to give up too much on their current roster are probably the Celtics and Suns because they have draft picks to spare. The Celtics are not a contender. The Suns are close, but he has never expressed an interest in either team.

In some ways the Lakers are actually in a good spot for him (although not so much for a sign and trade). They will have a high draft pick and only have 3 players under contract. That is essentially a clean slate that with the right FA moves could put them back in contention fairly quickly, especially if Love is one of the FA's.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he want to go to the Lakers? They're on a downfall.

Because the Lakers "downfalls" never last long. They have 3 players under contract, Kobe leaves in 2 years and the Lakers can add another max FA or 2 along with Love.

If I'm the Lakers, I'm telling him that we have a high draft pick and that along with him and the right FA signings, we can possibly be contenders or at least very much improved over the next 2 years. Then, in 2 years we can add another max FA or 2 to replace Kobe.

Outside of that, he played at UCLA, his family is from L.A. (his dad went to Morningside High) and his Dad was a Laker (not sure how much that matters because he played for a couple of other teams as well).

End of the day, who knows outside of the fact that he has said he'd like to be a Laker?

Status
Not open for further replies.