• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaylon Smith Update

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with Smith is expecting too much too soon. Give him time, be happy if he plays a role and take it from there. Maybe he is a phenom by year end, or maybe he is a backup all year. Patience is the key, but my hopes are still very high for the long term.

Totally agree. Anything this year is a bonus.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You took my quote about year 2 and Smith possibly not starting if Wilson doesn't get suspended and applied it to year 3.
not really and it's funny it took you all this time to respond.

I'll slow it down.

Unlike you, I don't think Wilson's possible suspension has anything to do with Smith starting or not starting. I don't think Durant's signing has anything to do with Smith....AND I also think we'll see flases of Smith's greatness this season.

Now....this is where you point your finger at me, tell me to reread and also tell me how much it's only me that hates a differing opinion.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with Smith is expecting too much too soon. Give him time, be happy if he plays a role and take it from there. Maybe he is a phenom by year end, or maybe he is a backup all year. Patience is the key, but my hopes are still very high for the long term.
It wouldn't bother me if he didn't play a down this season if it meant he were 100% for next year. I'd take that trade-off in a second. Anything this year is gravy

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't bother me if he didn't play a down this season if it meant he were 100% for next year. I'd take that trade-off in a second. Anything this year is gravy

I just can't get with this line of thinking. I know J.Smith is a special case - I get that - but it's terrible business only hoping to get two years of production out of a 2nd round pick on his rookie deal. Productive rookie contracts are the lifeblood of successful NFL franchises (unless you're lucky enough to have a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning type). I would hate for Dallas to spend two full years rehabbing the guy and then have to turn around and pay him market value two years after that.

I would be terribly disappointed if Smith can't be a major contributor in year two. He doesn't need to be a superstar, but he needs to show up. If Dallas can't rightfully expect that in year two, then as I said when we drafted him, it was a poor pick.

All that said, I love the guys work ethic and attitude, and I think he makes a difference this year. Which for me is a pleasant surprise, because I wrote the pick off the night we drafted him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not really and it's funny it took you all this time to respond.

I'll slow it down.

Unlike you, I don't think Wilson's possible suspension has anything to do with Smith starting or not starting. I don't think Durant's signing has anything to do with Smith....AND I also think we'll see flases of Smith's greatness this season.

Now....this is where you point your finger at me, tell me to reread and also tell me how much it's only me that hates a differing opinion.
All this time? I just saw the post. you sure must be fun at parties...
too much wrong to respond to. Have a good day

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't get with this line of thinking. I know J.Smith is a special case - I get that - but it's terrible business only hoping to get two years of production out of a 2nd round pick on his rookie deal. Productive rookie contracts are the lifeblood of successful NFL franchises (unless you're lucky enough to have a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning type). I would hate for Dallas to spend two full years rehabbing the guy and then have to turn around and pay him market value two years after that.

I would be terribly disappointed if Smith can't be a major contributor in year two. He doesn't need to be a superstar, but he needs to show up. If Dallas can't rightfully expect that in year two, then as I said when we drafted him, it was a poor pick.

All that said, I love the guys work ethic and attitude, and I think he makes a difference this year. Which for me is a pleasant surprise, because I wrote the pick off the night we drafted him.
and that is why I think most thought it was a poor pick on draft day and most other teams likely weren't looking his way for at least another round...maybe more. But that is water under the bridge at this point. Can't go backwards, only forwards. So we are sitting here looking at a guy that I read just was able to lift his toes a few weeks ago and doesn't seem to be able to stop and turn well enough to cover right now. Could he be awesome this year? Of course, I don't think anyone said otherwise. But it isn't the most likely scenario for sure and certainly not by week 1.

But, I think most of us still hope he will be a top player at some point

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had the same thoughts on this. So many 2nd round gambles. I liked most of the other picks. If that nerve continues to improve then he should be a factor this season

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this time? I just saw the post. you sure must be fun at parties...
too much wrong to respond to. Have a good day
Dirt,Dirt,Dirt is the only other person who's commented on what I'm like at parties...sorry, I find that funny.

you commented on the other posts rather quickly, yet this one took 6 days, again...I find that funny as well

lastly....it's funny I'm wrong when you clearly posted in this thread that smith doesn't start with Wilson playing.
You clearly posted the Durant signing was tied to Smith. Yet I'm wrong. LOL

keep pointing that finger at me....I've become accustomed to it and find that the funniest of all.

You have a great day as well Sir!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you say. Hopefully you won't mind if I prefer to see that play out in the upcoming 16 game season
Get back to me when the regular season starts.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get back to me when the regular season starts.
starts?
I've clearly stated he'll flash greatness at some point this season.
I've also stated Smith at 80% of himself will make him the 2nd best LB on this roster.
I'm not sure what you're not getting here since my points have nothing to do with a September 10 cutoff

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starts?
I've also stated Smith at 80% of himself will make him the 2nd best LB on this roster.
I'm not sure what you're not getting here since my points have nothing to do with a September 10 cutoff

Hitchens was pretty good going down the stretch last year. He's been drawing a lot of praise through OTAs and the first few days of camp. Seems like Hitchens is taking a step forward. I'm cautiously optimistic about Smith, but he's going to have to play pretty damn well to outplay Hitchens going forward I think.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starts?
Please stop the hyperbole.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that is why I think most thought it was a poor pick on draft day and most other teams likely weren't looking his way for at least another round...maybe more. But that is water under the bridge at this point. Can't go backwards, only forwards. So we are sitting here looking at a guy that I read just was able to lift his toes a few weeks ago and doesn't seem to be able to stop and turn well enough to cover right now. Could he be awesome this year? Of course, I don't think anyone said otherwise. But it isn't the most likely scenario for sure and certainly not by week 1.

But, I think most of us still hope he will be a top player at some point
I agree. I thought third or fourth round not second. They said he would be ready year two. I hope he does well this year and help the boys.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitchens was pretty good going down the stretch last year. He's been drawing a lot of praise through OTAs and the first few days of camp. Seems like Hitchens is taking a step forward. I'm cautiously optimistic about Smith, but he's going to have to play pretty damn well to outplay Hitchens going forward I think.
You may be right...I'll have to see that play out.

Lots of nickel packages in the NFL with two LB's.
I think that has a great opportunity as we settle into the season to be Lee & Smith.

Time will tell this story