• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's football vs. forest in Va. Tech sports facility controversy

slntkilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people talk like they're cutting down the entire woods, when in reality it's not even half of the trees. Just build the damn thing

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on guys, I have to hear this shit every day.... I come to these boards to get away from it. LOL

I know, right? Never thought I'd have to say that here... :) I'll try to restrain myself in future. No promises. It's in the blood.

But something we can all agree on... GO HOKIES!!!

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, right? Never thought I'd have to say that here... :) I'll try to restrain myself in future. No promises. It's in the blood.

But something we can all agree on... GO HOKIES!!!

I was born and bred on Alabama football, but I haven't said that evil mantra said above in many years.... restrain yourself! Lol haha.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's already too big a controversy to cut down the trees. We don't need bad publicity in trying to build a practice facility. I think we could really spin it to be positive if we can find a better place to build, which would help our reputation as a green campus.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's already too big a controversy to cut down the trees. We don't need bad publicity in trying to build a practice facility. I think we could really spin it to be positive if we can find a better place to build, which would help our reputation as a green campus.

You're probably correct, but I hate to be held hostage by some professor who just figured out a relatively genius way to protect a patch of woods on the VT campus.

It defies all kinds of reason that this particular patch of trees is as rare as he's saying, but it is what it is.

I'm sure the trees are old, but there must be lots of old trees in SW Virginia.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're probably correct, but I hate to be held hostage by some professor who just figured out a relatively genius way to protect a patch of woods on the VT campus.

It defies all kinds of reason that this particular patch of trees is as rare as he's saying, but it is what it is.

I'm sure the trees are old, but there must be lots of old trees in SW Virginia.

I'll always side with preserving forests, which may make me a hippie, but I don't care. I only see bad things from taking down forests, especially with concern to a football practice facility. As much as I want to win a football national championship, I don't want to alienate the any part of the Blacksburg community to do so. It will look alot better if we're able to keep the forest intact and are able to build the facility elsewhere than just building the facility in part of the forest.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At a certain point, however, you have to realize that there is only so much room on the campus, and cutting 1/4 of that forest really isn't going to make that much difference.

This was a good PR move by the good professor, so bravo to him.

I'd be surprised if the administration didn't accommodate him at this point.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At a certain point, however, you have to realize that there is only so much room on the campus, and cutting 1/4 of that forest really isn't going to make that much difference.

Virginia Tech actually has imminent domain over downtown Blacksburg as far as expansion goes. And old growth forests are pretty rare...most of SWVA has been logged at some point, and the trees you see are 2nd and 3rd growth generations. Not trying to make a case for or against either side, just stating some things I know.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Virginia Tech actually has imminent domain over downtown Blacksburg as far as expansion goes. And old growth forests are pretty rare...most of SWVA has been logged at some point, and the trees you see are 2nd and 3rd growth generations. Not trying to make a case for or against either side, just stating some things I know.

old growth timber is rare but not particularly rare around blacksburg, there are much larger patches near mountain lake and in craig county (prob others places).

A question id like to hear answered is, In the area that will be affected by the practice facility how many of those trees are truly old? Could it be built in a way that only impacted some of the younger trees? Maybe the athletic department could offer to clean and maintain the area and possibly build some nice trails so that people can enjoy "the forest". Honestly i think the best spot for the practice facility is adjacent to the practive field, if that means cutting down a few trees then so be it, but i feel like their has to be an answer that makes everyone happy.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

We need to start building up rather than out, especially with parking lots. I'd take down the tennis courts if it were my choice.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
old growth timber is rare but not particularly rare around blacksburg, there are much larger patches near mountain lake and in craig county (prob others places).

A question id like to hear answered is, In the area that will be affected by the practice facility how many of those trees are truly old? Could it be built in a way that only impacted some of the younger trees? Maybe the athletic department could offer to clean and maintain the area and possibly build some nice trails so that people can enjoy "the forest". Honestly i think the best spot for the practice facility is adjacent to the practive field, if that means cutting down a few trees then so be it, but i feel like their has to be an answer that makes everyone happy.
One tree in the immediate footprint of the stadium is at least 276 years old and estimated to be 346 years old. Another tree in the footprint is at least 200 years old and estimated to be 300 years old.

Also, you have to consider the impact beyond the trees you have to cut down. Part of the project will involve removing 30-38 feet of elevation and moving approximately 80,000 cubic yards of dirt from the woods. You are going to kill more than the 1/3 of the forest you cut down. The root networks in the trees are gigantic. Most trees found in the forest need at least a 60 foot radius from the trunks to stay healthy.

Removing 80,000 cubic yards of dirt, 30-38 feet of elevation, and all the trees and replacing with it a building is going to make storm water drainage an absolute nightmare. The alternate site (tennis courts) are already flat and would have no impact.

Good read if you don't know much about stadium woods, the impact the practice facility would if placed there and the practice facility planning
Save Stadium Woods | About

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's certainly clear that the one professor really wants to keep his woods. Nothing like an arborist with a mission.

If you really want to save something, change the conversation from eliminating a few trees to a discussion about how those trees have observed the history of our country.

Then again, if guys like this were in charge, we wouldn't have "ruined" America by building cities in it, and all of North America could be one big park. That would be nice, but where would we live?

What I'm really saying is that I won't lose one second of sleep either way.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Although I realize that now it would be bad PR for the school all around to ignore the good professor. Exactly where the he wants it. Nobody is going to want to hear that there are plenty of trees left in America, because these have been labeled "unique". Nicely played.

I suppose the positive in this is that the university can now claim one of the oldest forests in the U.S. right in the middle of campus.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to this article, the project would affect 6-8 of the 26 great white oaks.

Virginia Tech sports facility plan in Stadium Woods draws opposition - The Washington Post

Plus an additional 130 trees. After reading that article and finding out the school designated the woods as a green space in 2006, I am even more against the idea of building a facility there. They clearly understand how important those trees are, but are clearly disregarding that because of football. Letting football take precedence over the rest of the community is not going to look good.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus an additional 130 trees. After reading that article and finding out the school designated the woods as a green space in 2006, I am even more against the idea of building a facility there. They clearly understand how important those trees are, but are clearly disregarding that because of football. Letting football take precedence over the rest of the community is not going to look good.

for what, exactly, are these trees important? Are they going to give someone something to study that they otherwise wouldn't be able to study? Are those studies expected to be groundbreaking in some useful way? I haven't heard anybody address exactly how these trees are important. Fascinating (to a few select people). Historical. But important? Let's be specific here... How?

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
for what, exactly, are these trees important? Are they going to give someone something to study that they otherwise wouldn't be able to study? Are those studies expected to be groundbreaking in some useful way? I haven't heard anybody address exactly how these trees are important. Fascinating (to a few select people). Historical. But important? Let's be specific here... How?

Well it sounds like your definition of important is based on practicality, while those who want to preserve them feel they are important because of their historical significance. I think both are good evaluations of importance, but differ on perspective.