• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's football vs. forest in Va. Tech sports facility controversy

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO the planners totally redeemed the athletic department with the South Gate layout. This site has much more potential for enhancing the game day experience. This was an element missing from the original plans (or atleast how they were presented). The upfront cost of construction will increase with the demolition, utilities, and underground parking, but they could potentially make it up if they use the facility as an asset for fans. The details are going to be critical on this project.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - it's not all about money sometimes. Also agree that crappy tennis courts (at least they were a couple of years ago) beside Pritchard and AJ really serve no purpose.

saila_vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys. i'm a long time lurker. I'm gonna throw out this idea. Photoshop tells me the clearances are close... How about building the indoor practice facility where the practice fields are now and moving the practice fields to where the tennis courts are? I know the brass has issues with having a tall building at the tennis court location. this would mitigate that and also free up some space in the north end zone should we ever need to expand again.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys. i'm a long time lurker. I'm gonna throw out this idea. Photoshop tells me the clearances are close... How about building the indoor practice facility where the practice fields are now and moving the practice fields to where the tennis courts are? I know the brass has issues with having a tall building at the tennis court location. this would mitigate that and also free up some space in the north end zone should we ever need to expand again.

:welcome:

Those tennis courts are old and need replacing anyway, so I doubt the removal of these courts is a factor in the decision.

I think Beamer likes the idea of having the practice fields somewhat secluded and close to the locker rooms. Also, I am sure there is still a glimmer of the idea of expanding Lane at some point, so that probably shoots down the idea of building an indoor facility that close to the stadium at that end.

I think the tennis courts/trees is the ideal location for the football team, but Southgate probably makes more sense in regards to the overall use of the facility.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:welcome:

Those tennis courts are old and need replacing anyway, so I doubt the removal of these courts is a factor in the decision.

I think Beamer likes the idea of having the practice fields somewhat secluded and close to the locker rooms. Also, I am sure there is still a glimmer of the idea of expanding Lane at some point, so that probably shoots down the idea of building an indoor facility that close to the stadium at that end.

I think the tennis courts/trees is the ideal location for the football team, but Southgate probably makes more sense in regards to the overall use of the facility.

I agree with this and also it will take a good while to build the facility and if we moved the practice fields, there is always a chance they wouldn't be ready for the following season. Snows all winter, get behind, rainy spring and boom. No practice fields.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wondered why those opposed didn't think there were enough trees in SW Virginia.

Either way, good to see, and good to see it will be done by the 2015 season. I'm really hoping the fact that it's $10 mil more expensive than UVA's really shows when it is completed.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wondered why those opposed didn't think there were enough trees in SW Virginia.

Either way, good to see, and good to see it will be done by the 2015 season. I'm really hoping the fact that it's $10 mil more expensive than UVA's really shows when it is completed.

It may not be $10 mil more. Apparently that figure was a "worse case" estimate since the thing hasn't been design yet. A good chunk of that estimate is going towards renovations to Rector and an indoor batting facility for softball...although the batting facility may actually be part of this new football facility.

BTW, did yall here Angela Tincher is back as a pitching coach for VT softball. That girl was one of the best pitchers in this era...its a shame softball was booted from the Olympics right after Angela graduated.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

One of the primary design criteria should be that it's bigger and higher tech than the UVA facility. Gentlemen, get your checkbooks out.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An ok location I guess. But I liked the location behind the south endzone the best. There's a topic on here with a link to a powerpoint of all the proposed locations.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
merged the threads to help folks find that link.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if you disagreed scores. It has always been about both in my mind and when someone wanted info from the old thread it made too much sense to not just combine them.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since there is no longer a controversy about the trees, can we start a new thread about the approved practice facility now?

Or do we want to hug some more trees for good measure?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since there is no longer a controversy about the trees, can we start a new thread about the approved practice facility now?

Or do we want to hug some more trees for good measure?

Sorry about that. I did start a new thread, and am glad they were able to resolve the controversy, save the trees, and keep everyone (mostly) happy.