• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is now the time to trade Metcalf?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metcalf's contract is fully guaranteed. We can finally put this to rest. He's not getting traded.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have had DK on this team for 5 years and where has that gotten us? He has never been top 5 in recieving in the league and has only been top 15 in receiving just once so far. I am not saying we need to replace him I am saying we need to change the makeup of the offense and stop trying to throw it to this guy to try and win games. We need to start making changes because if we don't then we will forever be sitting at 8-9 win seasons.

Did you watch the same games I did last year? There was probably 5+ times he was WIDE open for a huge gain/TD and Geno missed him. There was also a couple games where he literally allowed Seattle to move down the field to win the fuckin' game. Everyone on this forum, social media commenters, and even the announcers was like, "Where was this all game?" Top 5 in receiving in the league, who the fuck cares? Guy needs to tone down his attitude a bit, but he was the only Seahawk I could relate to with his visible frustration and just being 'done' with the coaching staff. Least he gave me that, while the defenders were 'yucking it up' on the sideline. No wonder Carroll was fired.

Let's see what he does with a head coach that hopefully allows more than a Tecmo Bowl playbook (and fielding one of the dumbest and worst defenses in the league who can't get off the field - allowing nearly a 50% 3rd down conversion rate), before you write him off.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the same games I did last year? There was probably 5+ times he was WIDE open for a huge gain/TD and Geno missed him. There was also a couple games where he literally allowed Seattle to move down the field to win the fuckin' game. Everyone on this forum, social media commenters, and even the announcers was like, "Where was this all game?" Top 5 in receiving in the league, who the fuck cares? Guy needs to tone down his attitude a bit, but he was the only Seahawk I could relate to with his visible frustration and just being 'done' with the coaching staff. Least he gave me that, while the defenders were 'yucking it up' on the sideline. No wonder Carroll was fired.
When we mentioned that guys are wide open, there are times the QB is under duress and looking the other direction from the said, WR wide open... There are reasons a WR get's open at times - it's due to the defenders watching the QB's eyes or seeing what side of the field he's running to, seeing the QB under pressure - leading to the defenders soften coverage on the receiver due to the play at hand... Not saying that Geno hasn't missed them but there was one play in particular when Geno was running to the right side of the sidelines looking down field to that side leading to an incompletion then someone comments that DK was wide open... But he was on the opposite side of the field w/out the QB looking that direction... Don't you think if a WR is wide open and a QB is looking his direction he's going to throw that guy the ball? Unless of course he's taking a sack or running for his life at the moment? Not saying you specifically Shark but I think us as fans get caught up too much in stating a WR was wide open when not taking into consideration the development of the play, the pressure the QB is under, waiting for someone to get open, etc...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might make sense next offseason. It doesn't make sense this offseason, especially when there is a very real possibility that Lockett gets cut.

That would make sense for us next off season but I don't think a team is willing to give up a 1st for a player on an expiring contract.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's see what he does with a head coach that hopefully allows more than a Tecmo Bowl playbook (and fielding one of the dumbest and worst defenses in the league who can't get off the field - allowing nearly a 50% 3rd down conversion rate), before you write him off.

I am not writing him off I am just questioning whether or not we really need him. In the 5 years he has been here I don't think the offense is this transcendent force. Also yes I watch games buddy just because a receiver was open 5-6 over a 16 game season and was missed by the QB isn't indicative of how great a receiver is. Actually is pretty normal sometimes QBs miss their receivers and same as receivers will drop a pass. It is interesting change to get a new HC and OC because this passing offense is the middle of the pack.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metcalf's contract is fully guaranteed. We can finally put this to rest. He's not getting traded.

I highly doubt that the discussions on this post is making its way to JS and he is taking it into consideration. What we say here has no impact on the Seahawks we are just throwing in some topics and debate

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably better to trade Lockett, no?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make sense for us next off season but I don't think a team is willing to give up a 1st for a player on an expiring contract.

Sure they will. In fact it is expiring contracts that are the most likely to get traded. AJ Brown was an expiring contract. Frank Clark was an expiring contract.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they will. In fact it is expiring contracts that are the most likely to get traded. AJ Brown was an expiring contract. Frank Clark was an expiring contract.

Its somewhat close of a comparison but what I would say is that both Clark and Brown were traded after an expiring rookie contract which they were probably age 24-25 which is a better deal then trading for Metcalf whom on his expiring contract would be age 27 turning 28. Personally I wouldn't invest a 1st for a skill position player that will be about 28 by the time they are on my team. Once both the rookie deal and 1st contract extension its hard to say what kind of player you will get at that point.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its somewhat close of a comparison but what I would say is that both Clark and Brown were traded after an expiring rookie contract which they were probably age 24-25 which is a better deal then trading for Metcalf whom on his expiring contract would be age 27 turning 28. Personally I wouldn't invest a 1st for a skill position player that will be about 28 by the time they are on my team. Once both the rookie deal and 1st contract extension its hard to say what kind of player you will get at that point.

Most top WRs, barring unexpected injury, will last into their early 30s. So I doubt that would be a huge factor.

The reality is that his contract is structured to be much more readily moved next year than this year. Arguing that we should take a bigger cap hit this year, and have a hole to fill on the roster, is ok because we could get, hypothetically, a 1st instead of a 2nd is pretty short sighted.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most top WRs, barring unexpected injury, will last into their early 30s. So I doubt that would be a huge factor.

The reality is that his contract is structured to be much more readily moved next year than this year. Arguing that we should take a bigger cap hit this year, and have a hole to fill on the roster, is ok because we could get, hypothetically, a 1st instead of a 2nd is pretty short sighted.

Well I guess we agree to disagree because I don't believe we would get a 1st next year unless he breaks out for an all pro season which I think he will have another 1000-1100yard 8-9 TD season which isn't bad but to me isn't a 1st round material.

I remember a debate on Richard Sherman when he got released that it would have been better to have tried and trade Sherman before the 2017 season because they were on the fence about keeping him on the team when his contract was up at the end of 2018. I feel like players are like stocks you have to sell high.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we agree to disagree because I don't believe we would get a 1st next year unless he breaks out for an all pro season which I think he will have another 1000-1100yard 8-9 TD season which isn't bad but to me isn't a 1st round material.

I remember a debate on Richard Sherman when he got released that it would have been better to have tried and trade Sherman before the 2017 season because they were on the fence about keeping him on the team when his contract was up at the end of 2018. I feel like players are like stocks you have to sell high.

Richard Sherman blew out his achilles his last year on the team. That changed things. And he was 30 years old.

FTR, I was saying that maybe we get a 1st for him this year. But what do we get for him next year? If he's worth a 1st now he's probably worth a 2nd next year.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman blew out his achilles his last year on the team. That changed things. And he was 30 years old.

FTR, I was saying that maybe we get a 1st for him this year. But what do we get for him next year? If he's worth a 1st now he's probably worth a 2nd next year.

Also I am just saying trading Metcalf would be appealing only if a 1st rounder was offered whether this year or next year anything lower than that I would say we might as well keep him.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably better to trade Lockett, no?
The question is what is the return you would get for either Lockett or DK. I would love to have both, and DK is obviously going to be back unless traded, but Lockett needs to sign to a team-friendly deal, otherwise he is probably a cap casualty. If someone is willing to trade for him and give us a pretty penny then yeah, we pull the trigger on that. Doubt it happens though. Seems to be a lot of WR talent in the draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Lockett would get much. He's going to be 32 and is coming off one of his more lackluster seasons in the last 5 years. Yes I get he had to share targets with JSN and Metcalf, but I don't see him getting much more than a 4th. Add to that, his cap hit is quite large this year... you may be willing to make a move (taking on an early 5th rounder let's say) for a team willing to take on a good chunk of his dead cap and his cap hit is already VERY large for 2024/2025 (where he'd then be 34 at the end of the 25' season and may just retire).

I don't see Lockett as a trade commodity at all. We'd basically be trading someone to take his dead cap off our hands. Couple that with the fact the WR class is VERY deep this year.... there's just not a lot of point to it. You've also got Higgins, Evans, Pittman as free agents... the demand for trading for a WR is going to be low.

I think a lot of teams realize that Seattle has that situation of dead cap and that Lockett is really not worth $26M each year over the next 2 years (especially with JSN on the roster) now coming on.... I think most teams will just expect Seattle to flat out release him.

DK would probably fetch a 2nd round at best, and it may not even be an early one. I get his frustration but he certainly didn't help his cause or Seattle's with the constant blow ups and lack of mental fortitude on the field.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see TL getting traded so hopefully he'll except a restructure to stay. Now the DK situation of trading him is likely a third rounder at best. No one is giving up a first or a second due to the fact he'll be looking for big money on his next contract. That's a prime pick we're asking from other teams GMs to make who may not be sold on giving up big money for a WR with all of their holes that need filling come contract time.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see TL getting traded so hopefully he'll except a restructure to stay. Now the DK situation of trading him is likely a third rounder at best. No one is giving up a first or a second due to the fact he'll be looking for big money on his next contract. That's a prime pick we're asking from other teams GMs to make who may not be sold on giving up big money for a WR with all of their holes that need filling come contract time.

I agree I think we could get a low 2nd from a team in the bottom half of the draft but if a 1st rounder was ever made available I think that trade would have already happened.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree I think we could get a low 2nd from a team in the bottom half of the draft but if a 1st rounder was ever made available I think that trade would have already happened.
That's a good possibility. My belief is Mac would like to go into this season with this offensive group with a new scheme and continue building the defensive side of the ball.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good possibility. My belief is Mac would like to go into this season with this offensive group with a new scheme and continue building the defensive side of the ball.

I would imagine that his best case scenario is to keep the offense as close to intact as possible and hope that a new OC and better gameplanning can make them a top 5 offense.

Trading away DK isn't that plan though.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine that his best case scenario is to keep the offense as close to intact as possible and hope that a new OC and better gameplanning can make them a top 5 offense.

Trading away DK isn't that plan though.
I agree. Try to get TL to restructure and bring this group back. I want Mac to put his focus this year on getting this defense back to respectability and add in the following years draft get it back to top 5 defense.