• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is now the time to trade Metcalf?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bears draft Williams for sure and trade Fields to stock up on draft picks. But as for Harrison, I can see the Cardinals snatching him up with the #4 pick before Chicago has a chance to trade up to get him and they are sitting at #9. I can also see some other teams picking WR in the top ten. The Giants, Titans, Chargers could all draft WR because of need. You know the Titans want to add a weapon and hand Levis the reins to see what they have. The Chargers have to dump at least one of either Allen or Williams, or maybe both due to cap hits and diminishing return. And the Giants organization may be too stupid but they gave Jones that contract that they are stuck with at least until 2025 so maybe they try to get him and Daboll something to work with. Especially because they likely will lose Barkley.
Back to the Bears, I can see them trading out of the 9 pick to stock up on more picks and continue to fill in the defensive roster and OL but they could draft one of the other WRs to go with Moore too. Hard to say what they do though. Either way, I see the Bears as a much improved team next year if they hire the right OC.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bears draft Williams for sure and trade Fields to stock up on draft picks. But as for Harrison, I can see the Cardinals snatching him up with the #4 pick before Chicago has a chance to trade up to get him and they are sitting at #9. I can also see some other teams picking WR in the top ten. The Giants, Titans, Chargers could all draft WR because of need. You know the Titans want to add a weapon and hand Levis the reins to see what they have. The Chargers have to dump at least one of either Allen or Williams, or maybe both due to cap hits and diminishing return. And the Giants organization may be too stupid but they gave Jones that contract that they are stuck with at least until 2025 so maybe they try to get him and Daboll something to work with. Especially because they likely will lose Barkley.
Back to the Bears, I can see them trading out of the 9 pick to stock up on more picks and continue to fill in the defensive roster and OL but they could draft one of the other WRs to go with Moore too. Hard to say what they do though. Either way, I see the Bears as a much improved team next year if they hire the right OC.

That or they'll just snag Naber or Odunze at #9 (or even Bowers and double TE it up with Kmet) and roll.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metcalf isn't going to get much via a trade (2nd round at most with a team taking on a huge chunk of the dead cap) so just keep him. It's fine.

You'd probably get a 1st rounder if we took the dead cap hit... which seems ridiculous. But the problem is you've got Harrison Jr, Odunze, Naber, and Thomas Jr. in this draft. There is WRs all over the f'ing place. And as College has started to mirror the NFL receivers are getting better out of College and there's a bigger emphasis on NFL style offenses which generally are pushing towards passing.

There is also no way in hell we're getting the #1 overall sitting at 16. You'd have to trade 2024 1st, 2025 1st, 2026 1st, a bunch of 2nds (we don't have one this year mind you, so both the 3rds), Metcalf, and probably throw in Woolen as well. Not happening. Hell USC QBs generally don't even work out well in the NFL. Who was the best? Carson Palmer? I mean whatever... I don't get all the Caleb Williams hype but I'm not an NFL scout either. I never got the Bryce Young hype either and wanted Stroud. Called that spot on at least.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would 100% carry Lockett, DK and JSN if we are going to a rookie QB. That group can carry a QB and has proven that.

One of the issues though is when we use our TEs we were a more effective offense. When the Hawks started NOT using the TEs this past season the offense stumbled. Having all three WR's means the TE's are underutilized and that is detrimental to the team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would 100% carry Lockett, DK and JSN if we are going to a rookie QB. That group can carry a QB and has proven that.
Lockett being here next season seems to be iffy to me. Does he want to hang around and go through the transition to the new coach at this point in his career? Does the new coach want to keep the status quo at WR or replace the oldest guy with a young(er) prospect to fit a potentially new offensive philosophy? Either way, something has to be done about that scheduled $25M cap hit when he's gonna be 32 in late Sep and showed clear signs of slowing down this season. It could go a number of ways, but to me the least likely of them would be for it to look exactly like it does now with personnel & contracts.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockett being here next season seems to be iffy to me. Does he want to hang around and go through the transition to the new coach at this point in his career? Does the new coach want to keep the status quo at WR or replace the oldest guy with a young(er) prospect to fit a potentially new offensive philosophy? Either way, something has to be done about that scheduled $25M cap hit when he's gonna be 32 in late Sep and showed clear signs of slowing down this season. It could go a number of ways, but to me the least likely of them would be for it to look exactly like it does now with personnel & contracts.

The problem is that Tyler will be a big cap hit if we cut him, either this year or split between this year and next year. Do we really want to eat 17 million when he was still productive?

I'm guessing they will restructure his contract. Maybe add a void year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that Tyler will be a big cap hit if we cut him, either this year or split between this year and next year. Do we really want to eat 17 million when he was still productive?

I'm guessing they will restructure his contract. Maybe add a void year.
Yeah, I think you can add a couple void years and convert some base salary to bonus. The cap decision with him is not all that dissimilar to Geno's in terms of the dead cap hit if cut and not a TON of savings for doing it. But the $9M you would save by a pre-June 1 cut would still be plenty to pay for his replacement if you wanted to go with a draftee. As a comparison, JSN was 20 overall last year and only had a $2.6M cap number. I just think there is no way, no how you can have 2 WRs counting for $50M of cap space on this team in 2024.

Edit: $7M of cap savings, not $9M.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schneider will extend Lockett who at this point does not probably want to 'start over'.

Not concerned about Lockett in the slightest. He has value in the #2 or maybe the #3 and is a team leader.

I'm more curious to see what happens with basically the ENTIRE defense: Reed, Jones, Williams, Wagner, Diggs, Adams, Brooks, etc.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don,t see the new seattle coach willing to trade his best wideout unless somebody offers a king,s ransom.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think you can add a couple void years and convert some base salary to bonus. The cap decision with him is not all that dissimilar to Geno's in terms of the dead cap hit if cut and not a TON of savings for doing it. But the $9M you would save by a pre-June 1 cut would still be plenty to pay for his replacement if you wanted to go with a draftee. As a comparison, JSN was 20 overall last year and only had a $2.6M cap number. I just think there is no way, no how you can have 2 WRs counting for $50M of cap space on this team in 2024.

Edit: $7M of cap savings, not $9M.

That's true certainly. But that assumes we would use up draft capital on a WR again and that such a WR would have any close to the same production as TL.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think vrabel would be a great choice.

He's definitely a 'players coach' which will help big time but he's also defensive. I see Seattle's defense getting a massive overhaul.....

Williams (TBD), Reed (may retire), Jones (I did not like this signing and it never lived up), Brooks (RFA), Wagner (old HOFer), Diggs (goodbye), Adams (goodbye)... like the whole defense is gonna get blown up.

Meanwhile the offense.

Cross (LT - did fine once he got healthy), DK (good), Lockett (good for another year), JSN (good), Walker/Charbs (great), Fant (could be gone, but still good)... all that offense needs is a competent OC or offensive head coach and GG... Get a decent guard or center and roll... the defense is going to be a disaster for the next 2-3 years.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true certainly. But that assumes we would use up draft capital on a WR again and that such a WR would have any close to the same production as TL.
If TL is not on the team next season, his replacement is JSN. And I know plenty of people would say we won't take a WR early since we just did that last draft, but that's pretty much what just happened at RB. I think there is at least a chance the new HC -- particularly if it's one of the O guys -- doesn't want the exact same set of RBs & WRs that we just had. He may see some goodness in replacing a soon to be 32 year old WR with a younger guy who might be a better fit even if they're WR3.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TL is not on the team next season, his replacement is JSN. And I know plenty of people would say we won't take a WR early since we just did that last draft, but that's pretty much what just happened at RB. I think there is at least a chance the new HC -- particularly if it's one of the O guys -- doesn't want the exact same set of RBs & WRs that we just had. He may see some goodness in replacing a soon to be 32 year old WR with a younger guy who might be a better fit even if they're WR3.

It's possible but it does mean we need another starting spot to fill.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team does not have a championship nucleus right now so anyone, other than Witherspoon and Smith-Njigba, should be available in trade..

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible but it does mean we need another starting spot to fill.
It will be a cost vs benefit thing, like some of the other decisions. Even if Lockett is on the team for another season, I don't know how confident I am he outproduces JSN.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Salk arguing for why we should consider trading DK. He makes some decent points but he's being a bit of a prisoner of the moment and ignoring that the Chiefs model works really well..... when you have Patrick Mahomes.

When it is all said and done, I think the key winning to championships is pretty simple in theory and hard to in practice. Have the best players and best coaches. Getting rid of top performing players is usually not a great path to achieving that goal.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3