• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IMO the MAC,CUSA,MWC,AAC,Sunbelt

Should the non P5 schools have their seasons in the spring?

• Yes, Give me REAL spring football!

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • No, Im 97 years old and set in my ways!

Votes: 33 68.8%

• Total voters

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plan will never fly. Too many logistical and logical problems.

I marvel of the smugness of the "power" conference fans. You bet, with the money, tradition, coverage, and other advantages, they usually produce superior teams. But the rules for all division one conferences are equal, same number of scholarships, same rules, same pool of players, etc., etc. The simple fact is this, if we are going to call these division one teams, then they must have a legitimate chance to play for it all. Indeed, my favorite moments as a BSU fan have been when we kick some smug big school ass in a big game. And even if the small guy loses, at least they had the opportunity to prove it. Otherwise, no one would ever know. Besides, most of the time, the little guy has held his own on the big stage.

Every year in basketball, baseball, and every other sport, some team from a lower level program rises up and makes a run, often upsetting teams from the "name" schools. But somehow, football is different? Well, we've kind of made it that way.

Besides, if these teams played in the Spring, the SEC would be forced to play legitimate games for their OOC games. Horrors!

we are not talking being competitive on the field here smiles we are talking SURVIVAL of those programs like the BSU's.

No question that programs like Boise have put some good teams on the field but due to circumstances beyond their control the lifeblood of their program ( as well as many others..money) is about to take a huge hit if not go away altogether from playing the P5 schools. The non P5's MUST do something drastic or risk fading away completely from the CFB landscape. Those programs wont last long living on what they make from playing each other in the fall competing with the P5 programs for tv air time.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the suggestion is to do something that failed in the past in hopes that it would survive now? based on what would that change and now work/

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible idea. What about games between those conferences and the Big conferences? Everyone needs to play at the same time.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you were sleeping when Utah, TCU and Boise State played the "big boys"? Not comparing non-AQ season schedules to the path an AQ has to take. However, the best non-AQs have proven they can play with some of the best AQs at seasons end.

PS..what happenened the last time West Virginia ended their season in a BCS Bowl against a non-AQ?

Yeah tell us what happened you stupid fucking potato.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO!!!!

I wanna know. Please tell...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is in reference to June Jones idea using the failed USFL

The USFL was what 30 years ago? TOTALLY different animal than this, first and foremost CFB and pro football for that matter is MUCH bigger now than it was then as a tv product. They were going up against the NFL for PRO players, the P5 get their players now and will no matter when the non P5's play their season, always will. The powerful NFL was also trying to destroy its competition, the non P5's will never be a threat to the P5 that's why they are not afraid to pull away from them as they are now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spring football still failed. same thing.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would eventually just merge back to one, IMO.

Those mid-majors would have their own bowl system and their own champion. Eventually there would be a push to have their champ play the big 5 champ for a "National Champ".

Kind of like when the American Football League merged with the National Football League to become the AFC and NFC.

It might give the mid-majors an opportunity to catch up to the big 5 in talent and facilities through the interim though.

You could reduce the # of December bowl games by 1/3rd probably.

That being said, I'm 97 years old and set in my ways.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those mid-majors would have their own bowl system and their own champion. Eventually there would be a push to have their champ play the big 5 champ for a "National Champ".

Kind of like when the American Football League merged with the National Football League to become the AFC and NFC.

It might give the mid-majors an opportunity to catch up to the big 5 in talent and facilities through the interim though.

reducing the post season games/dec bowls would be counter to giving the non 5 an opportunity to catch up. This is where some of them get their most exposure.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

reducing the post season games/dec bowls would be counter to giving the non 5 an opportunity to catch up. This is where some of them get their most exposure.

What?

Not very many people are watching the mid-major teams in December bowl games. You know that right?
That's why they pay so much less, right?

They'll get more exposure during a spring regular season (Mar, Apr, May) and in an early June summer bowl game than they currently get playing in the Dec 21st Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

During the fall regular season (Sept, Oct, Nov) they are currently competing against the Big 5 conference games for air time on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, CBS and only the hard core CFB fan takes the time to watch mid-major bowl games. Very few are watching UTEP vs New Mexico St. outside of their own regions.

Northern bowls would be more attractive as summer destinations and with proper marketing the Mid-Majors regular seasons would be watched more than they are now. Also more mid-majors would qualify for bowls by not playing the Big 5 OOC anymore.

The following bowls consisted of mid-majors only...

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl St. Petersburg Bowl
S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl
Heart of Dallas Bowl
GoDaddy Bowl

These bowls featured one of each Big 5 and a Mid-Major

Gilden New Mexico Bowl
Sheraton Hawaii Bowl
Little Caesars Bowl
Military Bowl
Autozone Liberty Bowl
Fight Hunger Bowl
BBVA Compass Bowl
Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl
Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Of the bowls that featured a Big 5 vs a Mid Major, the Mid-Majors went (3-6) thanks to Washington St :lol:
That was 3 out of 16 bowls where Mid-Majors could say "see, we can compete with the big boys".

Like I said, I'm in the '97 year old stuck in my ways' crowd, but I could see where a split would benefit the Mid-majors in both economics and talent.

On top of that, northern cities like Denver, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Chicago, etc.. could host bowls, where in December nobody wants to go there.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would not help them in talent. they would still be viewed as the lesser and the same kids would sign with them that do now.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CFL plays June-Nov* in part because of the weather up north.

*The playoffs/Grey Cup are in November.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would not help them in talent. they would still be viewed as the lesser and the same kids would sign with them that do now.

I think it would help with talent. Kids would be less hesitant to go there because they'll actually be getting exposure since those schools won't be competing with the big 5 in the fall.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree on merging, I think if one or two programs really started dominating and/or making great money and played in good tv markets ect, then THEY might be picked up by some P5 conferences but overall for all of them I don't think they as a group would make enough money even moving to spring to catch or keep pace with the P5's.

Much more money than they could be able to bring in playing in the fall? Yes, but
make a dent in what the "big boys" will be making? No, again Im talking survival and doing better financially, not taking over or keeping pace ect. with the P5, I don't see that happening...ever.

As far as reducing games in December, the door is then opened for an expanded playoff by the P5. I think most agree that if this playoff system is as lucrative as most tend to think it will be then expanding it will be inevitable.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll repeat my premise, is football a sport or some corporate business?

If you big conference wonkers only consider it business, then sure, through the little guys out on their asses, and let's just eliminate the season and crown the champion based on budget size, since apparently, that's the only thing that matters.

The greatest moments in sport have always been when the underdog pulls off the upset. But I guess that you want football to be something other than a sport, yes?

Funny, in every other sport on the planet, the small market, low budget team still has a fair chance; if they can win, they get to play for it all. But, I get it, you want football to be different.

Whatever.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll repeat my premise, is football a sport or some corporate business?

If you big conference wonkers only consider it business, then sure, through the little guys out on their asses, and let's just eliminate the season and crown the champion based on budget size, since apparently, that's the only thing that matters.

The greatest moments in sport have always been when the underdog pulls off the upset. But I guess that you want football to be something other than a sport, yes?

Funny, in every other sport on the planet, the small market, low budget team still has a fair chance; if they can win, they get to play for it all. But, I get it, you want football to be different.

Whatever.

:wtf:

The poll #'s are 3-1 against it.