• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Honest question about Pelini

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo should not have been hired as head coach from the beginning and he hasn't done anything to prove me wrong yet.

So, what does he need to do to prove you wrong? He has been in charge for 5 seasons now and produced no hardware. Should he win a natty would he be vindicated? Or would a conference championship be enough? Perhaps two of them in a row?

Would winning the B1G trophy this season be tarnished by a weak conference schedule and possibly a lucky break in the conference championship game?

Just curious to know if Bo could ever win you over.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also he a good recruiter>? I thought with his ties to LSU and being in the SEC while producing stud D-Lineman he would be getting monsters at Nu.
-------
OregonDucks--I would not be unhappy paying a HC almost 3 million and winning close to 75% of his games if he had something to show for it. We have two divisional titles in two different leagues and that's about it. No conference titles and no BCS invites musch less a win.

We have the best fan base, one of the best stadiums to play in, THE most loyal fan base, the best practice facilities, and the best training facilities. We have never expected consistant top 10 recruiting classes. But what we have lacked is the one or two truly greeat recruits that will put us over the top....we are not getting them.

What's truly killing us are the mindboggling losses. All on TV and no explanation for the collapses. I don't know if it's poor coaching or the players giving up on the coaches or a little of both. And it can't be the "Osborne legacy" that's killing us. Hell every major school has had to overcome issues like that. Look at Alabama. They no longer are worried about overcoming the "Bears" legacy. It's now going to be Sabens'.

Nebraska can and should be in that position even now and we aren't. The sad thing is it's not money that's prohibiting us from hiring a better HC. I don't know what the new AD is going to do but I believe there is a growing number of the rank & file fans that are becoming nervous about Pelini.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't know what fans are complaining about. I get that the blow out losses on national TV hurt. But what else do you have to complain about.

Just answer me who can we get. Not who you want who can we get to come here after firing two head coaches for 9-10 win seasons

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what does he need to do to prove you wrong? He has been in charge for 5 seasons now and produced no hardware. Should he win a natty would he be vindicated? Or would a conference championship be enough? Perhaps two of them in a row?

Would winning the B1G trophy this season be tarnished by a weak conference schedule and possibly a lucky break in the conference championship game?

I think it trophy time.... ESP since espn reported that big ten is fourth beat conference according to Phil Steele... Whether you respect him or not that show us were not atleast top 2

And in the bigten were not considered top 2 either almost 4 if wisky fans chirp in showing 3 straight bigten titles.

So we're the 3-4 best team in the 3-4 best conference lets change that. Lets be mention 1-2 conference wise and let's get titles conference and some bcs visits.

My last point the more you look at the schedule the more you see last year had better be the last four loss season or hot seat time

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say hot seat time till I see major problems. The biggest problem I see is the lack of talent comming in and being able to keep these kids once we find them.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say hot seat time till I see major problems. The biggest problem I see is the lack of talent comming in and being able to keep these kids once we find them.

If the next three years are the same 4 loss season with that schedule..... You can't say that his seat won't be warm.

And if there are some blowouts.... Oh yeah it will be warm.
Not one team can blow us out on this schedule

So yeah if 4 loss cycle continues next coupe years bo seat will be warm. We got talent on O your a defensive genius what the excuse on not bring in talent on defense...

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree there should be no way in hell we have 4 loses this season. I agree with you

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should say bringing talent in on D. Tosu and Mich are cold so it can't be there weather.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should say bringing talent in on D. Tosu and Mich are cold so it can't be there weather.

That what makes me upset bc osu and mich are having no trouble recruiting, and were scrapping like a rocky movie.

Our only hope is to string in some 11 win season and change the perception of the program.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That what makes me upset bc osu and mich are having no trouble recruiting, and were scrapping like a rocky movie.

Our only hope is to string in some 11 win season and change the perception of the program.

Omit all of their in state or next door commits but 2 for each team and they would be in the same boat as us, it's nothing to do with weather, Ann Arbor isn't exactly a #1 tourist destination, although Columbus is not a bad place

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't know what fans are complaining about. I get that the blow out losses on national TV hurt. But what else do you have to complain about.

Just answer me who can we get. Not who you want who can we get to come here after firing two head coaches for 9-10 win seasons
-------
First of all who do you think we fired for having consistanly 9-10 wins per year? Give me the names and then I'll give you my observations.

Now who can we get? Since Osborne, we've hired from within twice and hired a pro coach once, none worked out too well. Our program is one of the most profitable in the country....period. So who can we get? The options are endless. Just like it was when we hired Devaney after a billion years of futility.

Is there any difference between then and now? Only one--money and we have it to offer someone who wants to expand his legacy. If you are really truly a great coach, the only issue with Nebraska is recruiting. And if you have the proven chops in that direction, the possibilities are endless. It's not a matter of "who" it's a matter of if the new AD has the balls to do it.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it trophy time.... ESP since espn reported that big ten is fourth beat conference according to Phil Steele... Whether you respect him or not that show us were not atleast top 2

And in the bigten were not considered top 2 either almost 4 if wisky fans chirp in showing 3 straight bigten titles.

So we're the 3-4 best team in the 3-4 best conference lets change that. Lets be mention 1-2 conference wise and let's get titles conference and some bcs visits.

My last point the more you look at the schedule the more you see last year had better be the last four loss season or hot seat time

Understood. My question was directly aimed at Jed. I am usually in Jed's corner on most subjects. It just seems like Bo is not on his Christmas card list and will never be able to earn the honor of a storied Jed Burks holiday greeting no matter what he accomplishes.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood. My question was directly aimed at Jed. I am usually in Jed's corner on most subjects. It just seems like Bo is not on his Christmas card list and will never be able to earn the honor of a storied Jed Burks holiday greeting no matter what he accomplishes.

Hahahaha

I would hope a national title would get a greeting card or pat on the back...

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
First of all who do you think we fired for having consistanly 9-10 wins per year? Give me the names and then I'll give you my observations.

Now who can we get? Since Osborne, we've hired from within twice and hired a pro coach once, none worked out too well. Our program is one of the most profitable in the country....period. So who can we get? The options are endless. Just like it was when we hired Devaney after a billion years of futility.

Is there any difference between then and now? Only one--money and we have it to offer someone who wants to expand his legacy. If you are really truly a great coach, the only issue with Nebraska is recruiting. And if you have the proven chops in that direction, the possibilities are endless. It's not a matter of "who" it's a matter of if the new AD has the balls to do it.

(Forest Gump voice) Ok....

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. I have no idea what you are talking about

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------

Ok I will try to explain, Frank was fired after playing in a national championship game and winning atleast 9 games a years except for a 7-7 season. The other would be Bo who has won atleast 9 games a year in his 5 years he has been here.

As far as the options being endless as to what coach we would be able to land. Nobody was kicking down the doors to get here after Frank or Bo was let go the first time why would this assumed next time be any different. You think the only diffence between now and 10 years ago is money? I honestly dont know where to start with that so I am going to let it go.

And you think that a "Truly great coach" is going to go to a place like Nebraska where it is hard to recruit According to you, to expand his legacy?

You are right I dont get where you logic

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying the options are endless but that does not mean that we are the same program that was trying to replace Solich either.

Solich was a well respected coach by his peers and by the media. In his 6 years as HC he took us to 2 BCS bowls, finished top 10 3 out of 6 years and was top 20 every year but one.

He was successful and everyone new it. It would not only be fool hardy to come in and work for the guy who fired him but any decent coach would refuse to even consider the opening in support of Solich.

Now while he did have a 7-7 season the rest of his record was enough to give him time. He clearly was a victim of an agenda.

Now Pelini who has done okay he has no BCS bowls, he is 2 of 5 in bowl wins, never finished in the top 10, finished 2 of 5 in the top 20 and the bad stats are stacked to the most recent years.

When he first came to Nebraska all the media was spewing his praises, challenging fans to give him time because he is the one to turn around this program. Coaches had nothing but good to say about him. Now you do not hear any of that. There has been too many disappointing hires, too many blow outs, too many shut downs and too many ballistic attacks.

His supporters are few and far between out side the borders of Nebraska.
If he were to have another year like the last two (inconsistent play and blow outs) and were fired at the end of it I don't think one person would blink twice.

As for who is available, that is going to change every year but we would definitely be in the likes of Tennessee as a career location and I hope still above the likes of Arkansas and Wisconsin though our stock is falling as we discuss this.

Last edited by a moderator:

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or he should have hired a staff that was experience.....

And definitely should have gotten an ace recruiter or OC

Or, again, he should have never been hired because he never had the experience to hire a staff before and clearly didn't know what he was doing.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he can win me over. (Not that I think for a half if a second that he cares what I think)

If I compare things then I compare things to recent history. Not 40 years ago like others do with when Osborne started. What was the knock on Solich? He won games but with Osborne's talent and bad blow out losses? I am not talking about the AD at the time, I am talking about the fans and their thoughts. Yet, as someone pointed out, Solich had 2 BCS games, 1 national title game (whether we should have been there or not), a conference title, top 10 finishes, and was not only fired but fans thought it was justified. Now, for the millionth time, I am not saying firing Bo is what they should do or would be justified. Just saying I wouldn't shed a tear if he decided to leave. Winning games is great but when you don't have any big wins or hardware to show for it does it really matter? People always used to say that Nebraska is about championships. Well, that is not the case anymore. Nebraska is about getting to the conference title game and fans justifying winning at least 9 games a year as if it means the same thing as it used to.

As for my Christmas card list, the only card list people try to get on with me is the anniversary cards I send out every year for the last 5 years in the middle of October. I am sure you can figure out the glorious anniversary. And actually now that I think about it, Bo should be on that list and would probably enjoy it.