• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has there been any signs that the Lakers really want Lonzo?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Lonzo play for anyone else?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think his dad would send him overseas?

His Dad is a lunatic. If he did then he would effectively end his career.

I would hope that Lonzo is smart enough to tell his dad to pound sand in that situation. 30 million from the Nets is better than 3 millions from some Turkish team.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His Dad is a lunatic. If he did then he would effectively end his career.

I would hope that Lonzo is smart enough to tell his dad to pound sand in that situation. 30 million from the Nets is better than 3 millions from some Turkish team.

Agree. But his dad might think he can get rich off of their "brand". He seems pretty serious about Lonzo only playing for the Lakers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. But his dad might think he can get rich off of their "brand". He seems pretty serious about Lonzo only playing for the Lakers.

If the Lakers don't take him at #2, what does Lavar do?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. It certainly CAN work if both players dedicate themselves to working together and improving their defense. No question.

And certainly the Lakers front office knows more about this stuff than I do. So they may be pretty comfortable with Ball's ability to settle in to the team. But looking at the draft and pure fit, it could be argued that Dearon Fox would be a better fit.

Defensively. Yes. But from everything I've read and seen, Ball fits better with what Luke wants on offense. Honestly, I don't think a team can go wrong with any of the top 4.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May work on one end of the court -- not sure about the other.

Defense will definitely be a problem, but defense is already a problem. They are all going to need to learn how to play NBA level team defense. Hopefully, they can all learn it together.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensively. Yes. But from everything I've read and seen, Ball fits better with what Luke wants on offense. Honestly, I don't think a team can go wrong with any of the top 4.

Yeah. Ball seems like a quality player. The question is whether they they can have Russell and Ball can coexist.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Ball seems like a quality player. The question is whether they they can have Russell and Ball can coexist.

Again, offensively it shouldn't be an issue. Ball is pass first and Russell isn't an iso guy. Defensively is where there could be an issue. But that's true with the whole team because of how young they are. They are all going to have to learn to play at least adequate NBA level team defense.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see them coming up with a smaller lineup rotation.

- Ball
- Russell
- George
- Ingram
- Randle/Zubac

Then have guys like Nance, Zubac and Tarik Black come off the bench for height in certain situations

As soon as that scenario is presented to George, he would immediately take the Lakers off his list.

Just ask Larry Bird. I'm sure his utter dismissal of Paul's opinion was the beginning of the end.

“I don’t know if I’m cut out for a 4 spot,” George said after the Pacers’ 110-105 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans, a game in which he started matched up against 6-11 All-Star Anthony Davis.

“I don’t know if this is my position. I’m still not comfortable with it regardless of the situation. It’s still something I have to adjust to or maybe not. Or maybe it’s something we can go away from.”

PG said often “we” will see how it goes re: role as starting PF. I asked him how much say he’ll have in decision to keep on playing it.

PG: "I hope I lot. I hope my happiness comes 1st in this whole ordeal but again I’m not someone that’s going to change a locker rm.

"Well, he don't make the decisions around here," Bird said. "I [played power forward]. I loved it after I did it. I just think offensively it's going to be one of the greatest feelings he's ever had. I'm not going to get in a battle with Paul George on where he wants to play. He's a basketball player. He can play any position you put him out there."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as that scenario is presented to George, he would immediately take the Lakers off his list.

Just ask Larry Bird. I'm sure his utter dismissal of Paul's opinion was the beginning of the end.

“I don’t know if I’m cut out for a 4 spot,” George said after the Pacers’ 110-105 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans, a game in which he started matched up against 6-11 All-Star Anthony Davis.

“I don’t know if this is my position. I’m still not comfortable with it regardless of the situation. It’s still something I have to adjust to or maybe not. Or maybe it’s something we can go away from.”

PG said often “we” will see how it goes re: role as starting PF. I asked him how much say he’ll have in decision to keep on playing it.

PG: "I hope I lot. I hope my happiness comes 1st in this whole ordeal but again I’m not someone that’s going to change a locker rm.

"Well, he don't make the decisions around here," Bird said. "I [played power forward]. I loved it after I did it. I just think offensively it's going to be one of the greatest feelings he's ever had. I'm not going to get in a battle with Paul George on where he wants to play. He's a basketball player. He can play any position you put him out there."

I think it might depend. If the Lakers come up with their own version of GSW's "death lineup" that it used for a short time in certain situations, he'd probably be good with it.

But I don't see him playing it full time and wouldn't want him to try.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, offensively it shouldn't be an issue. Ball is pass first and Russell isn't an iso guy. Defensively is where there could be an issue. But that's true with the whole team because of how young they are. They are all going to have to learn to play at least adequate NBA level team defense.

I kinda disagree with you there. Russell and Ball are on the ball type players. Ball is a pass first kinda player. Russell tends to be a shoot first but can he play a traditional 2?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda disagree with you there. Russell and Ball are on the ball type players. Ball is a pass first kinda player. Russell tends to be a shoot first but can he play a traditional 2?

He played a traditional 2 for about the last 20 or so games of the season. Over that time, he played the best basketball he's played as a Laker. He had the ball a lot when he played PG, but when he played the 2, he wasn't holding the ball. We're not talking "Kobe lite" here. lol

In fact, the way he played at the 2 was part of the reason the Lakers started showing flashes of what Luke wants (an offense like GSW) and why they went on that late win streak that everyone said was going to cost them their top 3 pick.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played a traditional 2 for about the last 20 or so games of the season. Over that time, he played the best basketball he's played as a Laker. He had the ball a lot when he played PG, but when he played the 2, he wasn't holding the ball. We're not talking "Kobe lite" here. lol

OK. I didn't watch any late season Laker basketball. So I can't speak to that. I think 20 games during garbage time of the season isn't compelling but it could be that Walton has figured out how to use Russell. We'll see.

In fact, the way he played at the 2 was part of the reason the Lakers started showing flashes of what Luke wants (an offense like GSW) and why they went on that late win streak that everyone said was going to cost them their top 3 pick.

I guess we'll find out next year whether the team turned the corner or won a bunch of meaningless games.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been getting on my nerves because I see it everywhere from fans to even some writers. Stop assuming Russell is a 2 guard just because the scorer's card had him as the 2nd guard in the line up. Yes, he was officially listed as the 2 guard but he still had the ball in his hands just as much as he did as the point. Half the time the possession would go right back do D-lo controlling the offense and running PNRs. Why? Because Clarkson isn't a starting worthy PG. Clarkson is on the Jamal Crawford career path, a sixth man scorer, that's about it. Russell can play both guard spots, but he's more of a James Harden/Damian Lillard type of guard. He needs the ball to be effective in both scoring and assisting. He's not a traditional off ball 2 guard. He did not excel in that role late in the season. He pretty much played exactly the same way he had been except his place on the box score was different. You just can't plug any PG and expect it to work. He'll either need a partner that is totally submissive (like Beverly to Harden) or another guard that skillset is almost interchangable with his (like McCollum to Lillard). Fultz would actually be perfect but I doubt he's there

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it might depend. If the Lakers come up with their own version of GSW's "death lineup" that it used for a short time in certain situations, he'd probably be good with it.

But I don't see him playing it full time and wouldn't want him to try.

I was remembering what happened to the Knicks with Aldridge.

But, yeah...George said as much.

A few minutes a game, he has no issue with.

But, not fulltime.

I honestly believe Bird's hubris was his downfall and this hardline stance he took at Paul's displeasure was the Pacers undoing.

No need to be so confrontational. He could have softened his statement a bit.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- Ball
- Russell
- George
- Ingram
- Randle/Zubac

Then have guys like Nance, Zubac and Tarik Black come off the bench for height in certain situations

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- Ball
- Russell
- George
- Ingram
- Randle/Zubac

Would that be in 2 years? How would they get George next year without giving up anything?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to see how Ball and Russell could ever be in the same back court together.

Yeah I agree, Russell Doesn't play defense and would get killed on that side of the ball. We need a true SG who can D-up with Ball at the PG.