• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has there been any signs that the Lakers really want Lonzo?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell was improving down the stretch last season playing the 2 opposite Clarkson (after the trade and the vets were benched), averaging 20/5

I'm not criticizing Russell or Ball. Unless the Lakers view Russell as a #2 or they think he is a dud and want to trade him, I just don't see how that backcourt would work. If you read the Ringer article they talk about how the Lakers are particularly vulnerable to a weak defensive backcourt because they don't have great rim protection. Having two guys in the back court that would have trouble guarding a lot of NBA PGs seems problematic.

There is also the fact that neither is really a high motor kinda player.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic was also at the game where Ball got schooled by Fox.
This is true. However, if I remember correctly Lonzo got switched off of a Fox after he had that big fall in the middle of the 1st half I believe

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense would definitely be a problem, but defense can be learned. Their ability to play together on the offensive end would likely be no problem.

The Lakers would definitely have to play some serious team defense until those 2 learned to play NBA quality defense.

Sure. It certainly CAN work if both players dedicate themselves to working together and improving their defense. No question.

And certainly the Lakers front office knows more about this stuff than I do. So they may be pretty comfortable with Ball's ability to settle in to the team. But looking at the draft and pure fit, it could be argued that Dearon Fox would be a better fit.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. However, if I remember correctly Lonzo got switched off of a Fox after he had that big fall in the middle of the 1st half I believe

Yeah he simply couldn't cover Fox. But Fox was in his kitchen the entire game as well.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo's dad would certainly make things interesting, that's for sure. Not sure about Lonzo though.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not criticizing Russell or Ball. Unless the Lakers view Russell as a #2 or they think he is a dud and want to trade him, I just don't see how that backcourt would work. If you read the Ringer article they talk about how the Lakers are particularly vulnerable to a weak defensive backcourt because they don't have great rim protection. Having two guys in the back court that would have trouble guarding a lot of NBA PGs seems problematic.

There is also the fact that neither is really a high motor kinda player.

Ball is viewed as a decent defender per his draft profile (8/10), noting good size and willingness as a defender.

Lonzo Ball | NBADraft.net

Rim protection will improve as Zubac gets more minutes. The Lakers eased him into the rotation this year. The more Nance plays, the better the defense will be as well. Unfortunately, Randle continues to be a weak link (along with Russell) defensively.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. It certainly CAN work if both players dedicate themselves to working together and improving their defense. No question.

And certainly the Lakers front office knows more about this stuff than I do. So they may be pretty comfortable with Ball's ability to settle in to the team. But looking at the draft and pure fit, it could be argued that Dearon Fox would be a better fit.

Fox can't spread the court.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox can't spread the court.

That isn't a strength right now.

FTR, I don't really have an opinion of who the Lakers should draft. And I don't really care. This is more of an academic conversation.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball is a pass first point guard. Russell is a score first guard.
Let's see...A guy who likes to pass playing with a guy who likes to score.
Nope, no way that works out. lol

May work on one end of the court -- not sure about the other.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honest...?

not really...

They'd have to take 2 out of 3 of Young(if he doesn't opt out)/Deng/Mozgov to get that #2 pick. They could then take #2 or Russell. Anything more, better off waiting until 2018 (or a more desperate Pacer team looking to dump him at the deadline).

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd have to take 2 out of 3 of Young(if he doesn't opt out)/Deng/Mozgov to get that #2 pick. They could then take #2 or Russell. Anything more, better off waiting until 2018 (or a more desperate Pacer team looking to dump him at the deadline).

guess that's my thing really. i'm ok with waiting it out. longer we wait, less we have to give up imo...

'sides, i'm thinking Magic's gonna wait 'til 2018 to try the FA splash anyhow...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get George, something likely has to be done with Russell. George is a 2 or 3, but Ingram is the 3 of the future. Neither Russell nor Ingram should be coming off the bench.

My guess is that if the Lakers wait until 2018, they'll be targeting a different type of player than Paul George, provided these kids continue to develop.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to see how Ball and Russell could ever be in the same back court together.
I agree.

Russell needs the ball in his hands to be effective---- he cant just play off the ball.

If the Lakers want to institute an offense similar to Golden States i dont think Russell is a good fit anyway and Ball is the perfect fit.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how does Russell like to score though? The ball is going to be in Ball's hands the majority of the time. I know Russell is a good enough shooter, but can he play well off the ball?
i think thats the major problem--

as would be the defense of Russell and Ball in the same back court

get some value for Russell in a deal or use him to get rid of Deng or Mozgov....start clean- give the team to Ball. Hes a much better fit for the offense they want to try and run anyway.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers want to institute an offense similar to Golden States i dont think Russell is a good fit anyway and Ball is the perfect fit.

That's my thinking as well. Russell is more like a Westbrook type. The Warriors systems wants a 2 that is more like Klay Thompson.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my thinking as well. Russell is more like a Westbrook type. The Warriors systems wants a 2 that is more like Klay Thompson.
exactly- a floor spacer that can rain triples and play defense is what they need at the 2- not a guy who needs the ball, is a poor defender, and thus far- a pretty inefficient scorer.

Russell can break down defenses and is a nice pick and roll player- but it doesnt seem to me thats the offense they want--- and thats def. not what they want if Ball is gonna have the keys to the car.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get George, something likely has to be done with Russell. George is a 2 or 3, but Ingram is the 3 of the future. Neither Russell nor Ingram should be coming off the bench.

My guess is that if the Lakers wait until 2018, they'll be targeting a different type of player than Paul George, provided these kids continue to develop.

I can see them coming up with a smaller lineup rotation.

- Ball
- Russell
- George
- Ingram
- Randle/Zubac

Then have guys like Nance, Zubac and Tarik Black come off the bench for height in certain situations