• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has there been any signs that the Lakers really want Lonzo?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might want to keep this guy if he keeps working hard....

Abs got nothing to do with "am I gonna make this rotation or just stand here and watch this guy get a lay up"

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abs got nothing to do with "am I gonna make this rotation or just stand here and watch this guy get a lay up"

It will make him a more stronger and agile player. And the determination alone shows he's up for a change.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will make him a more stronger and agile player. And the determination alone shows he's up for a change.

Hopefully. However, to this point he hasn't shown much interest in defense.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might want to keep this guy if he keeps working hard....

Interesting -- good for him. (although bodies can look complete different with the right pose and lighting)

I heard a podcast where Jimmy Butler described his off season regiment. After an injury after about 3 years in the NBA -- he changed how he trained. Now during the offseason -- he gets up something like 5-6am every day -- and works out 3-4 hours every morning on training / working on his body. Later in the day he does shooting and other basketball drills. It sounds like he supports his brother and a trainer full-time to ensure he follows this schedule. (To pay a couple of people to ensure this training happens makes sense for someone making 10s of million$$$.) Jimmy also changed his diet completely.

Lebron does similar stuff. (including bringing equipment and training/diet people when he vacations in off season to ensure he can do his year-round workout)

This might be one of the biggest changes for NBA players in the last 30 years. In one of the "NBA Draft Guides" -- have this type of work ethic is one of the key things scouts/Execs look for during draft ranking. From what I've read, players like Darko & Greg Oden did not have a phenomenal work ethic. (I'm sure among other players ... I'm guessing ... but I bet players like Bennett didn't do this.)

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully. However, to this point he hasn't shown much interest in defense.
He takes waaaaaaay to many plays off on both ends of the court.

Could be because of lack of conditioning.

Could be lack of effort.

I guess we will find out if he can turn it around.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He takes waaaaaaay to many plays off on both ends of the court.

Could be because of lack of conditioning.

Could be lack of effort.

I guess we will find out if he can turn it around.

Likely a little of both. Consistency of effort is actually more of a learned thing than it should be (especially given what these guys are paid). Hopefully, putting in the kind of work that he apparently is, will help to teach him about that.

Imo, the worst part of Kobe's injury is that he wasn't available on a daily basis for the young guys to see how hard he worked to achieve what he did. They all really could have benefited from that, imo.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely a little of both. Consistency of effort is actually more of a learned thing than it should be (especially given what these guys are paid). Hopefully, putting in the kind of work that he apparently is, will help to teach him about that.

Imo, the worst part of Kobe's injury is that he wasn't available on a daily basis for the young guys to see how hard he worked to achieve what he did. They all really could have benefited from that, imo.

Agree.

Coming out of College after 1 Season and being handed a boat load of money and freedom brings a ton of distractions. These guys need a strong vet to show them how to balance off the court, with on the court work and the preparation it takes to be successful during the game.

What do you make of the Lakers actively looking to deal Clarkson?

Just making room for Lonzo or shedding salary for something more?

Jordan Schultz‏: Per a source, #Lakers are not just “open-minded” to trading Jordan Clarkson, as has been reported, but are actively seeking out offers.

– via Twitter

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Coming out of College after 1 Season and being handed a boat load of money and freedom brings a ton of distractions. These guys need a strong vet to show them how to balance off the court, with on the court work and the preparation it takes to be successful during the game.

Jordan Schultz‏: Per a source, #Lakers are not just “open-minded” to trading Jordan Clarkson, as has been reported, but are actively seeking out offers.

– via Twitter

Magic has said that no one is safe from trade consideration except Ingram.

Clarkson is a bench player, so I'm not sure why it would be to make room for Lonzo. Clarskson can back up both the 1 and 2 spots, so he has value.

On the other hand, he just signed a pretty decent size contract and moving him could free up some cap space if they were looking to move on an FA or try to put together a trade for PG-13.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic has said that no one is safe from trade consideration except Ingram.

Clarkson is a bench player, so I'm not sure why it would be to make room for Lonzo. Clarskson can back up both the 1 and 2 spots, so he has value.

On the other hand, he just signed a pretty decent size contract and moving him could free up some cap space if they were looking to move on an FA or try to put together a trade for PG-13.
On the other hand, Magic Johnson, Rob Pelinka are not under any pressure to make a trade. If they hold court and wait to see how Ball plays - no one is going to blame them.

On a separate note - Julius Randle has been in the gym for the last three months bulking up. I would like to see what he does next season with those new muscles and more improvement on the court.

Lakers F Julius Randle Undergoes Impressive Offseason Transformation

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand, Magic Johnson, Rob Pelinka are not under any pressure to make a trade. If they hold court and wait to see how Ball plays - no one is going to blame them.

On a separate note - Julius Randle has been in the gym for the last three months bulking up. I would like to see what he does next season with those new muscles and more improvement on the court.

Lakers F Julius Randle Undergoes Impressive Offseason Transformation

I think it all depends.

Russell, Clarkson and Randle are all pieces but not building blocks to a title team. if you can package them while they're young and still fairly cheap to get a building block, I think you do it.

Lonzo Ball and Ingram is a good start.

If you feel good about PG13, get a legit big.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all depends.

Russell, Clarkson and Randle are all pieces but not building blocks to a title team. if you can package them while they're young and still fairly cheap to get a building block, I think you do it.

Lonzo Ball and Ingram is a good start.

If you feel good about PG13, get a legit big.
I think it's too early to rule Russell or the other two out. I don't think anyone would have anticipated curry and Klay Thompson being the leaders of the championship team. I think you just got to give it another year and don't let it be said that you gave up too early. Trading for Paul George who is an expiring contract is not the answer this year - unless he is prepared to sign a three year contract extension and commit to the rebuilding process. Ball might look good, but there is no guarantee that he develops like the Lakers want. I agree that he is most likely to be an elite player, but, I still think it's too early

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's too early to rule Russell or the other two out. I don't think anyone would have anticipated curry and Klay Thompson being the leaders of the championship team. I think you just got to give it another year and don't let it be said that you gave up too early. Trading for Paul George who is an expiring contract is not the answer this year - unless he is prepared to sign a three year contract extension and commit to the rebuilding process. Ball might look good, but there is no guarantee that he develops like the Lakers want. I agree that he is most likely to be an elite player, but, I still think it's too early

Obviously it depends on who is available.

I'd break up that trio in some form if I could get a guy like Dieng from Minny.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

– via Twitter

He has a nice contract under the modern salary cap, but still makes a solid amount to where the Lakers could get good value in return. This may be an attempt to drop one of Deng/Mozgov in combination with Clarkson as well.

I'm somewhat eager to find out Nick Young's intent. I hope he opts out, as I still feel he's a bad influence on all of these kids. He was somewhat reformed last year, but I don't trust him and would rather keep Nwaba (for his defense) and Ennis for depth at PG.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a nice contract under the modern salary cap, but still makes a solid amount to where the Lakers could get good value in return. This may be an attempt to drop one of Deng/Mozgov in combination with Clarkson as well.

I'm somewhat eager to find out Nick Young's intent. I hope he opts out, as I still feel he's a bad influence on all of these kids. He was somewhat reformed last year, but I don't trust him and would rather keep Nwaba (for his defense) and Ennis for depth at PG.

Deng would have some value.

I think you're just gonna have to stretch Moz after this upcoming season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You might have to stretch Nick.

I don't know who would pay him if he opts out.

Then again, Brooklyn would eat his deal, and probably more, for that late first rounder.

Give em Clarkson?

Yeah, they'd probably take Deng.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might have to stretch Nick.

I don't know who would pay him if he opts out.

Then again, Brooklyn would eat his deal and probably more for that late first rounder.

Give em Clarkson?

Yeah, they'd probably take Deng.

Yeah, they're a team that could really use Clarkson and would probably take Deng.

Because they have cap space that no one wants right now, and even when they do something good (Tyler Johnson offer sheet) it still doesn't work out for them.

The question from the Lakers side is....who or what are you getting from them?

AND...who would you spend that cap space on?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they're a team that could really use Clarkson and would probably take Deng.

Because they have cap space that no one wants right now, and even when they do something good (Tyler Johnson offer sheet) it still doesn't work out for them.

The question from the Lakers side is....who or what are you getting from them?

AND...who would you spend that cap space on?
I think the Lakers would take a conditional 2nd rounder just to clear the books...lol

As for who they'd target, Paul George in 2018.

I'm not sure how restricted free agency works.

But, can the Nets trade for Crabbe now that Portland is having a fire sale?

Remember, the Nets signed him and Portland matched.

Personally, I'd rather have Clarkson at $12m than Crabbe at $19m.....lol

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers would take a conditional 2nd rounder just to clear the books...lol

As for who they'd target, Paul George in 2018.

I'm not sure how restricted free agency works.

But, can the Nets trade for Crabbe now that Portland is having a fire sale?

Remember, the Nets signed him and Portland matched.

Personally, I'd rather have Clarkson at $12m than Crabbe at $19m.....lol

I believe they can trade for him. Not familiar with a rule that wouldn't let that happen.

But that's fair. If it's all about clearing cap space for George it's probably worth it.

If you can get a real asset...even better.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. We saw the good Nick Young last year. But we've seen that before and it lasted until the ink on his new contract dried.