• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has there been any signs that the Lakers really want Lonzo?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously doubt that the information released was accurate and I am inclined to believe that Ball or Fultz will be the pick, but I have heard some good things about Fox, so either way the Lakers will be getting another guard which leaves only one question. Do the Lakers offer Russell as trade bait or do they keep him one more year and again - Johnson said that he did not expect major moves this summer. The general feeling I got was Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak were fired to preserve these draft picks. I can see the Lakers right now being good enough to make the playoffs next year - even it is the 8th pick. That would be a huge improvement and would set the Lakers up for serious trades and free agents

Russell will be playing the 2 along side whichever PG the Lakers ultimately draft (still hard to see it being anyone but Ball IMO). Keep him unless/until acquiring someone like Paul George becomes a reality. I have a feeling that another year of Russell, now playing the two, may make Paul George unnecessary.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell will be playing the 2 along side whichever PG the Lakers ultimately draft (still hard to see it being anyone but Ball IMO). Keep him unless/until acquiring someone like Paul George becomes a reality. I have a feeling that another year of Russell, now playing the two, may make Paul George unnecessary.
My personal opinion is that the Lakers won't really need to be making trades for a minimum of one or two years. By next year I am assuming it will be Ball will have his first year in the NBA, Randle has been working out at the gym and is going to be a beast, Ingram will have his second year and should be able to get that puny body built up some and become a factor and Russell will be better developed. It's just a wait and see. Right now none of these players are worth much in trades, You have to wait for their values to go up and in two year Deng and Mozgov will be in the final year of their contracts and can be traded by the deadline for peanuts

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo had dinner with Pelinka and Magic Johnson and Buss family last night, worked out today and dinner again, so that's beginning to look like a deal. Kind of surprising that Boston does not take Ball and hold him hostage for a better deal in which they would trade for Fultz and another pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo had dinner with Pelinka and Magic Johnson and Buss family last night, worked out today and dinner again, so that's beginning to look like a deal. Kind of surprising that Boston does not take Ball and hold him hostage for a better deal in which they would trade for Fultz and another pick.

Fultz is only working out for the Celtics, much like Ball is only working out for the Lakers. Boston could play the leverage game, but the Lakers could easily just settle for Fultz, who is widely considered the best prospect in the draft.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz is only working out for the Celtics, much like Ball is only working out for the Lakers. Boston could play the leverage game, but the Lakers could easily just settle for Fultz, who is widely considered the best prospect in the draft.
I was thinking yesterday that playing that leverage by Boston would be sort of Stupid because it could easily backfire - Boston is the Lakers fiercest rival in history - so who knows

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking yesterday that playing that leverage by Boston would be sort of Stupid because it could easily backfire - Boston is the Lakers fiercest rival in history - so who knows

They both seem lined up to get the guy they want and that better fits their roster. Celtics have so many picks to work with in the near future already, think they go the safe route.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They both seem lined up to get the guy they want and that better fits their roster. Celtics have so many picks to work with in the near future already, think they go the safe route.
I think so - I've seen married couples do that type of stuff to each other and it seldom worked out when they do

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You believe this?

I don't.

No way would they put that out in the Universe ....unless they are trying to drum up trade value in #2 to pick later.

I'm a Lonzo fan and he fits with what the Lakers have.

But, I honestly believe Fultz and Fox will be better pros.

Report: Lonzo Ball underwhelms Lakers during workout

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is all the media talking about LeBron to the Lakers after next year? Doesn't make sense at all to me. At 34, he would be looking to go to a ready to win today kind of team. The Lakers are not going to be there next summer.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You believe this?

I don't.

No way would they put that out in the Universe ....unless they are trying to drum up trade value in #2 to pick later.

I read that story and my takeaway was "why the fuck would you have a 1 vs no one workout?" That's such a waste of everyone's time. You might as well bring in the chair Yi Jianlan dominated

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is all the media talking about LeBron to the Lakers after next year? Doesn't make sense at all to me. At 34, he would be looking to go to a ready to win today kind of team. The Lakers are not going to be there next summer.

Those rumours are spread every year.

But the cavs weren't exactly a win-today team when he joined in 2014.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those rumours are spread every year.

But the cavs weren't exactly a win-today team when he joined in 2014.

Exactly. That is why the "LeBron leaving to form superteams" is ridiculous.

LeBron went back to Cleveland because they had enough talent to develop into a contender and he was returning home. No chance he has the same criteria for the Lakers. They would need to be championship ready.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You believe this?

I don't.

I don't think this new front office knows how to play the deception game just yet, so I believe the Magic Johnson quotes more than the unnamed source "leaks" about not liking Ball. Seems like they are trying to defuse his early comments after realizing there were advantages to not tipping their hand. Regardless, they are guaranteed to get their choice of at least 2 of those 3 (or Josh Jackson), so we'll see (and they have been working out all of the above, other than Fultz who they are still trying to get for a workout. They are also taking a look at Smith this weekend, so maybe the Kings' trade up desire is an option if he impresses (although I have similar questions with him that I have with Fox).

I'm not so sure about Fox, especially with his lack of a reliable perimeter game. Fultz is the better scorer, but he's basically a better version of D'Angelo Russell IMO, which makes me think having both of them together wouldn't be a great fit. Ball is the distributor and perimeter threat that the Lakers need. Fox's speed and aggressive play is interesting, but he's also very slight (20 lbs lighter than Fultz and Ball) and will get pushed around a bit in the NBA.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LeBron went back to Cleveland because they had enough talent to develop into a contender and he was returning home. No chance he has the same criteria for the Lakers. They would need to be championship ready.

I don't believe the rumors either, but truthfully they may be in a BETTER position than Cleveland was. If he leaves in 2018, both he and George could be coming. The Lakers have a roster full of solid young prospects to trade for a third star (and to shed those Deng and Mozgov contracts) or that could blossom this year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that story and my takeaway was "why the fuck would you have a 1 vs no one workout?" That's such a waste of everyone's time. You might as well bring in the chair Yi Jianlan dominated

Most of the top prospects will only schedule solo workouts. Josh Jackson is doing the same thing. All you can really evaluate is how they are keeping in shape, if they've been working on their jumper, and the stuff that would've been shown in the combine (that most of the top kids skipped). And, of course, they will get interviewed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe the rumors either, but truthfully they may be in a BETTER position than Cleveland was. If he leaves in 2018, both he and George could be coming. The Lakers have a roster full of solid young prospects to trade for a third star (and to shed those Deng and Mozgov contracts) or that could blossom this year.

I agree. Still not enough though.

Unless they get George and keep #2 and that player looks like a budding superstar. Still though, it will be really difficult to do all those things while shedding their bad contracts.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Still not enough though.

Unless they get George and keep #2 and that player looks like a budding superstar. Still though, it will be really difficult to do all those things while shedding their bad contracts.

I think they could shed at least one contract pretty easily with the Nets by trading them a prospect with either Deng or Mozgov. I think the Nets would accept that additional contract to get a prospect; they are pretty desperate. Or, should the Pacers decide to move George at the deadline, the Lakers would likely have to shed a contract there to match salaries.

Lakers could have up to $17M in cap space this year, plus another $5.6M if Young opts out as expected. They are expected to preserve as much of that as possible for next summer, at which point Brewer and Black come off the books and could max out for $39M in cap space. Randle's qualifying offer will knock $5.6M off of that.

All that said, I still don't see Lebron with the Lakers. However, I do see the possibility of George and another solid addition to fill out the roster around the kids.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Before I say anything else, I will say this, I think there is next to no chance that Lebron ever plays for the Lakers. I don't have the same level of concern re: him being 33 or 34 if he were to join them that other do. If he manages to stay healthy, I think he will still be a top player at that age. Will he still be the best in the game? I don't know, probably not. But he will still be damn good and still capable of having a big hand in any team with championship potential.

Having said the above, the Cavs were in a very similar situation to what the Lakers are now when he agreed to return. They had some young talent that he liked and they had the ability to attract better players to play alongside him.

Lebron's only interest, imo, would be in what restoring a storied franchise to championship form could do for his legacy.

If the Lakers youngsters keep developing, they bring in a guy like PG-13 and the Cavs are still sitting on 1 title, he may have some interest. Right now, I would put the chances of Lebron ever joining the Lakers at about 5% (and that's probably a high estimate).

The only reason this is really even a discussion is because it's the Lakers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they could shed at least one contract pretty easily with the Nets by trading them a prospect with either Deng or Mozgov. I think the Nets would accept that additional contract to get a prospect; they are pretty desperate. Or, should the Pacers decide to move George at the deadline, the Lakers would likely have to shed a contract there to match salaries.

Lakers could have up to $17M in cap space this year, plus another $5.6M if Young opts out as expected. They are expected to preserve as much of that as possible for next summer, at which point Brewer and Black come off the books and could max out for $39M in cap space. Randle's qualifying offer will knock $5.6M off of that.

All that said, I still don't see Lebron with the Lakers. However, I do see the possibility of George and another solid addition to fill out the roster around the kids.

Also, by the time there would even be a chance at Lebron joining the Lakers, the Deng and Mozgov contracts will be expiring contracts which are usually fairly easy to unload on teams looking for future cap space.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the top prospects will only schedule solo workouts. Josh Jackson is doing the same thing. All you can really evaluate is how they are keeping in shape, if they've been working on their jumper, and the stuff that would've been shown in the combine (that most of the top kids skipped). And, of course, they will get interviewed.

Stop letting facts get in the way of a good Chaiman Yi joke