• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has there been any signs that the Lakers really want Lonzo?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the fit for the Sixers is not ideal. A combo guard would be a better fit (like Fultz, but he's the likely #1), although Ball can spread the court and hit 3s. I thought they really liked McConnell?

The Sixers' front court seems set, although they could use some depth at PF behind Saric.

McConnell is great....as your 2nd string PG.

My thinking is that Ball is similar to IT in that they should not be the best player on their respective teams.
Ball just might be the best player on his team if he joins the Lakers and I'm not sure his presence will help them defensively, especially if they move DAR to SG.

That being said, I would be happy with Fultz, Ball, or Jackson.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be curious if the Lakers decide to go with someone else. Lavar has put his son in a precarious position. Do the Sixers or Suns or Kings draft a guy who has made it clear, via his dad, that he only wants to play in LA?

Good question. Gonna be interesting to watch. I heard that Lonzo is considering working out for the Sixers. Not sure why he'd work out for them and not the Celtics.

Agree about the precarious position he's in because of his Dad. It's almost like his Dad is trying to force the Lakers hand. It would almost be worth it for the Lakers to not take him just to see Lavar meltdown. lol

Fortunately for him, from what I've read and heard, Magic likes him and if the Celtics don't take him, it looks like the Lakers will.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. Gonna be interesting to watch. I heard that Lonzo is considering working out for the Sixers. Not sure why he'd work out for them and not the Celtics.

Agree about the precarious position he's in because of his Dad. It's almost like his Dad is trying to force the Lakers hand. It would almost be worth it for the Lakers to not take him just to see Lavar meltdown. lol

Fortunately for him, from what I've read and heard, Magic likes him and if the Celtics don't take him, it looks like the Lakers will.

I would say that most likely the Lakers take Ball. But it's far from certain. They really could go in several directions depending on who they really like and I suspect that the Lakers front office isn't going to tip their hand prior to the draft.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that most likely the Lakers take Ball. But it's far from certain. They really could go in several directions depending on who they really like and I suspect that the Lakers front office isn't going to tip their hand prior to the draft.

I'm not sold on Ball, but the more I read and hear about him, I think he's the best fit for the Lakers and the offense that Luke wants. On those occasions where the Lakers actually had the offense going the way Luke wants it, they looked like Warriors lite.

Lonzo is arguably the best passing guard to come out of college in about 10 years. That will help with the ball movement that Luke wants.

His apparent inability or reluctance to shoot mid-range and his defense concern me, but those can be taught. Hopefully, he'll work on those things when he gets to the NBA.

I agree though, I don't see the Lakers tipping their hand before they make the pick and I'm sure they'll be entertaining plenty of trade offers as well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on Ball, but the more I read and hear about him, I think he's the best fit for the Lakers and the offense that Luke wants. On those occasions where the Lakers actually had the offense going the way Luke wants it, they looked like Warriors lite.

Lonzo is arguably the best passing guard to come out of college in about 10 years. That will help with the ball movement that Luke wants.

His apparent inability or reluctance to shoot mid-range and his defense concern me, but those can be taught. Hopefully, he'll work on those things when he gets to the NBA.

I agree though, I don't see the Lakers tipping their hand before they make the pick and I'm sure they'll be entertaining plenty of trade offers as well.

There are certainly reasons to like Ball.

But I think you could make arguments for Fox or Tatum or Jackson that are just as compelling. IMO, the Lakers really don't have any position that is set in stone. Maybe the 4 but Randle hasn't shown that he is a prime time player yet although there is still plenty of time for him to do so.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certainly reasons to like Ball.

But I think you could make arguments for Fox or Tatum or Jackson that are just as compelling. IMO, the Lakers really don't have any position that is set in stone. Maybe the 4 but Randle hasn't shown that he is a prime time player yet although there is still plenty of time for him to do so.

Not as familiar with Tatum or Jackson, but I like Fox's defense and defense is certainly something the Lakers need.

Agree about having no positions set in stone. It's both good and bad, imo, that Magic says that Ingram is the only guy he won't consider trading.

It's good, because it shows that he thinks these young guys have some value that could net the Lakers some very good players/assets. Also that he thinks they can develop into something and that other teams see that too.

But it's bad that no one has really stepped up and asserted themselves as a guy that the Lakers can't let go of. Even the reluctance to consider trading Ingram is more about his potential than what he's actually accomplished.

Agree on Randle. I like his toughness and the fact that he will back down from no one. It's an edge the Lakers sorely need and lost when Kobe blew out his Achille's and could barely play anymore. He does have a tendency though, to get out of control with some of his drives, he also has short arms which means he likely won't ever be a great defender.

I think his ceiling is a more athletic/faster Zac Randolph. Which is pretty darn good if he puts in the work to get there.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as familiar with Tatum or Jackson, but I like Fox's defense and defense is certainly something the Lakers need.

The Ringer has had some good podcasts and writeups about Ball vs Fox. Ball is a better shooter but they both have some issues with their shots. Ball is the better passer. But there are questions about his aggression. Fox has all the intangibles but it's hard to picture the Lakers field Ingram and Fox on the court at the same time. They are both really light.

It will be interesting to see how the draft plays out. I think there are a lot of wildcards in this draft.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball just might be the best player on his team if he joins the Lakers

You clearly are not familiar with Russell, Ingram, Randle, etc. The opinion of the league of especially Ingram is much different.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly are not familiar with Russell, Ingram, Randle, etc. The opinion of the league of especially Ingram is much different.

If those players were to be in the 2017 draft, can you make the argument that all three would go before Ball?

Crazy hypothetical, but if Lonzo, DAR, and Ingram were all available in 2015 or 2016 to draft at #2, who would the LAL have taken? Towns would have been #1 in 2015 and Simmons #1 in 2016. But, I don't know if I can clearly draw a line that DAR or Ingram would be picked ahead of Ball.

Again, I don't think either of our teams are going to be disappointed with either of Fultz/Ball/Jackson.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is weight that is on ball's shoulders to perform in the NBA, thanks to his father.

It will sure make it harder to rebound.

db812-whole-world-on-his-shoulders.jpg

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas should be traded, but we'll have to wait and see if Ainge will pull that trigger.
100% agree.

As good as he is, you don't max a 5'9 pg who will turn 29 during next Season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle is already a double double guy. He just needs to bring it every night.

Russell can be a 20ppg player. But, he's not a lead guard.

A guy like Lonzo, who would prefer to set other guys up first ,second and last would be the perfect back court mate.

But, Ingram is the guy who has the most potential.

When his shot starts falling with more regularity, he's gonna be a monster with that length and point forward ability.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers should take Ball and deal Randle/Russell for a true long term piece.

Rebuild around Ball, Ingram and Nance's D, plus that young euro at C.

Figure out the rest as you go.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is weight that is on ball's shoulders to perform in the NBA, thanks to his father.

It will sure make it harder to rebound.

db812-whole-world-on-his-shoulders.jpg

Because of this, the Lakers may be the best team for him. They are used to dealing with lots of speculation and drama.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers should take Ball and deal Randle/Russell for a true long term piece.

Rebuild around Ball, Ingram and Nance's D, plus that young euro at C.

Figure out the rest as you go.

Agree. I would prefer to trade Russell over Randle. Not because I don't like Russell, but because, chances are, if the Lakers make a trade it will be for PG-13. They can play PG-13 at the 2 and leave Ingram at the 3.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I would prefer to trade Russell over Randle. Not because I don't like Russell, but because, chances are, if the Lakers make a trade it will be for PG-13. They can play PG-13 at the 2 and leave Ingram at the 3.

I meant both.

They need some defense on this squad. Nance can provide that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, Ingram is the guy who has the most potential.

When his shot starts falling with more regularity, he's gonna be a monster with that length and point forward ability.

Don't know if you saw him at all towards the end of the season, but he started to show a little bit of why he was so highly regarded.

If can put on a little weight and keep developing...he could be pretty special.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant both.

They need some defense on this squad. Nance can provide that.

I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with both for PG-13 although they'd probably have to include the #28 pick too. I like the toughness that Randle brings, but I think Nance is more talented overall.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with both for PG-13 although they'd probably have to include the #28 pick too. I like the toughness that Randle brings, but I think Nance is more talented overall.

if you could do that....you better take it and run.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the fit for the Sixers is not ideal. A combo guard would be a better fit (like Fultz, but he's the likely #1), although Ball can spread the court and hit 3s. I thought they really liked McConnell?

The Sixers' front court seems set, although they could use some depth at PF behind Saric.

Where are you guys getting that Ball to Philly isn't ideal? Basketball wise, its probably the best fit for both parties. Philly needs a PG. Ball checks all the boxes. They have Simmons that can play some point forward, but he's not going to be the main ball handler full time. He's not Giannis. But both him and Ball having the ability to run sets gives Philly a TON of offensive flexibility, especially considering Ball is big enough to play off ball. Him, Simmons, and Embiid on the court at the same time could be absolute hell to defend and if Ball could step up his defensive skills, would be hell to go against with all that length.

He actually fits better with Philly than he does LA because for as great as Ball's set up ability is, that Warriors motion offense that LA is trying to install requires scoring threats from damn near every position (that's why the ball movement is so pretty and lethal). If he's not aggressive looking to score (which he wasn't in college) and/or that funky shot mechanics is a problem in the NBA, that fit isn't as seamless.