• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hamels headed to Texas

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three interesting facts about Cole Hamels:

1) he scored a 1510 on his SAT, so he's either intelligent or a very lucky guesser

2) his wife is Heidi Strobel, who was a contestant on one of the early years of Survivor and then featured in the pages of Playboy. She's quite easy on the eyes. And yes, her family still lives in the DFW area.

3) Hamels and his wife do a ton of humanitarian work for kids in Africa through the Hamels Foundation.

So... smart, hot wife, charitable. Now, if he can just win us some games...

Don't know if you caught my comments about him the day before the no-hitter, but he was one of the only guys shagging fly balls that tossed HR balls that bounced back on the field back to the kids, I saw one other guy who did so but couldn't tell who it was but Hamels did it about 8-10 times

He also had a smile on his face the whole time, seemed like a nice guy

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny...wonder if he'd say the same about you.

kinda kidding

According to Cowlishaw, after he got a DUI about 5/6 years ago, he went on the wagon and hasn't had a drink since. And there seems to be a consensus among colleagues, this is 100% correct.

Tim, by his own account, was quite the party-goer up until that point.

I guess, in today's world of "anything goes in our social media world" his personal life is any open book.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Cowlishaw, after he got a DUI about 5/6 years ago, he went on the wagon and hasn't had a drink since. And there seems to be a consensus among colleagues, this is 100% correct.

I guess, in today's world of "anything goes in our social media world" his personal life is any open book.

To be fair, he only said that he's seen him in public twice, not when he saw him, could've been years ago for all we know

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels next scheduled start for Philly was Friday night (tonight). Does that mean he'll pitch tonight?

Is Gallardo going to stay?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels next scheduled start for Philly was Friday night (tonight). Does that mean he'll pitch tonight?

I think he pitches tomorrow night.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No idea on Gallardo.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think JD is too motivated to move gallardo right now. Unless the offer is more than we could get as a comp pick, just ride him out this year and say adios.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Goose and Cowlishaw are more attune to JDs immediate situation than I. But I don't see him in being as much"immediate" hot water as they think.

Gosselin: Why I wince when baseball prospects like Jake Thompson are dealt away | Dallas Morning News

I'm pretty sure writers work all season on articles like this and then plug in names and stats when someone is traded. For ever Smoltz trade that bites the spending team, there are a dozen Smoak trades. JD calls prospects the currency of baseball. You gotta spend money to make money. Could Jake be the next Cliff Lee? Maybe. Could he be the next Thomas Diamond? Sure.

We see articles like this after every team trades a prospect. I can't think of many prospects we have given away in the JD years that I'd die to have back. We heard worse about Olt last year. I remember thinking Bleavens would burn us for years to come.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that you've heard him admit to being a hard partier should only lend credence to my account, no?

If you want places and dates- The Loon (which Dirk used to frequent as well) and The Quarter Bar, both in Uptown. It was before I met my wife, back in my single days, so it would have been pre-2010 at some point.

And if you're a public figure like he is who appears on both TV and the radio and you choose to get blackout drunk in public places and hit on women sitting at the bar, you're gonna open yourself up to public scrutiny and finding the details of your actions talked about online.

If he's clean now, good for him. I never said he wasn't. I was just relaying my two personal interactions with him from my past.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure writers work all season on articles like this and then plug in names and stats when someone is traded. For ever Smoltz trade that bites the spending team, there are a dozen Smoak trades. JD calls prospects the currency of baseball. You gotta spend money to make money. Could Jake be the next Cliff Lee? Maybe. Could he be the next Thomas Diamond? Sure.

We see articles like this after every team trades a prospect. I can't think of many prospects we have given away in the JD years that I'd die to have back. We heard worse about Olt last year. I remember thinking Bleavens would burn us for years to come.
Prospects are currency. That is very true. That means that you need to spend that currency wisely and get the most for your currency. The biggest enemy of getting a great deal done can often be making a good deal before the great deal comes along.

This deal should be graded not necessarily just by what the prospects eventually do in their career, but by what else they could have been traded for based on their value today. Even if all of your traded prospects fail to accomplish much in the future they still have a value when traded and that value has to be taken into account when grading trades I think. Even counterfeit money has value if no one realizes it is counterfeit until 3 years from now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects are currency. That is very true. That means that you need to spend that currency wisely and get the most for your currency. The biggest enemy of getting a great deal done can often be making a good deal before the great deal comes along.

This deal should be graded not necessarily just by what the prospects eventually do in their career, but by what else they could have been traded for based on their value today. Even if all of your traded prospects fail to accomplish much in the future they still have a value when traded and that value has to be taken into account when grading trades I think. Even counterfeit money has value if no one realizes it is counterfeit until 3 years from now.

There is no objective way to determine that.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no objective way to determine that.
You are correct. It is all about opinions which is the case in most baseball discussions. I don't think though that just because it is easier to wait three years to see what the prospects turn out to be necessarily means that that would be the accurate way to judge a prospects laden trade. Whether it is this trade or any other.

Had Beaven became a perennial Cy Young winner I would still think the Cliff Lee trade was a great trade based on how I valued him at the time of the trade. Hindsight is much easier, but not necessarily a fair way to judge something. I can understand the thought process of those who do wish to wait and judge it later on, but I don't agree.

I think the whole idea that prospects are currency yields itself to some subjective thinking. Currency always has a value attached to it or it really isn't very good currency. The decision on what value to attach is very subjective, but is required to make assessments. The value takes into account potential and you really can't wait until that potential plays itself out to determine value.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. It is all about opinions which is the case in most baseball discussions. I don't think though that just because it is easier to wait three years to see what the prospects turn out to be necessarily means that that would be the accurate way to judge a prospects laden trade. Whether it is this trade or any other.

Had Beaven became a perennial Cy Young winner I would still think the Cliff Lee trade was a great trade based on how I valued him at the time of the trade. Hindsight is much easier, but not necessarily a fair way to judge something. I can understand the thought process of those who do wish to wait and judge it later on, but I don't agree.

I think the whole idea that prospects are currency yields itself to some subjective thinking. Currency always has a value attached to it or it really isn't very good currency. The decision on what value to attach is very subjective, but is required to make assessments. The value takes into account potential and you really can't wait until that potential plays itself out to determine value.

For me, it actually goes beyond just opinions and I'll use one FACT as an example on how few have looked at the Hamels trade. And that is, we kept our top two left-handed bats in the organization, and one of them for sure is an OF and the other one might be. And the FACT of this particular matter is, we needed to jettison LH hitters. Hopefully at a decent to good return.

And as far as Lee is concerned, no matter how you or I "valued" Lee, the bottom line was, we went for the sure-fire, "let's win it all today and let tomorrow (Beaven) be exactly that; tomorrow." Honestly, had we won the WS, which we probably should have, then I wouldn't have given a tinkers-damn if Beaven turned out to be Cole Hamels. We would've gotten our first and only WS and it would have been worth it. Frankly, although we didn't, I still think it was worth the try.

At least, IMO anyway.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo probably staying put.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe Gallardo can relax more now that he's staying and stop having ass starts.