• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies Get Crap for Hamels and Diekman

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro is basically giving Hamels away along with Diekman for a load of low quality prospects and an old pitcher. Here are the names mentioned in the deal and their sour stats. Is there anyone in the front office who isn't a fucken idiot? :eek:

Jorge Alfaro
, 22, RH, Pre-2015: Rated #31 to #67 Prospect, Catcher and First Baseman, 6 yr A/AA, .261/.325/.432, 2014 17 HR
Nick Williams, 22, LH, #71 to #97 Prospect, OF, 4 yr A/AA, .294/.346/.486, 2015 13 HR 45 RBI .300,
Jerad Eickhoff, 25, RHP, Drafted by the Cubs in the 46th round 2010; 5 YR A/AA 4.24, 2015 AAA 4.47
Alec Asher, 24, RHP, Drafted by the Giants in the 23rd round of the 2010 MLB June Amateur Draft, A/AA/AAA 4 yr, 3.62
Jerad Eickhoff, 24, 240 lb., RHP, A/AA/AAA5 yr 4.24
Matt Harrison, 29, 240 LB. LHP, 8 YR 4.21 last 3 yrs avg 6.00, plus chronic back injuries.

How could you look at this deal and call the return "crap"?

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RAJ got fleeced plain and simple. I can accept him not getting the prize of the Rangers organization in Gallo. But absolutely no reason why he couldn't have gotten Mazara. If Mazara was not on the table you walk. Your centerpiece in a injured catcher who whiffs as often as Miley Cyrus gets topless. A OF who was to cool for school until the first half of this season. Sounds like another Dom Brown to me. Who some think can't even reach 20/20. A SP who projects as a #3 at best. I knew RAJ would screw this up. But giving the Rangers money plus taking back Harrison is a complete joke. Lets give the Rangers a ace SP for less than 10 million a year. While we don't get any of the teams top prospects back. I said yesterday if this was the return we were going to get we walk. Let MacPhail and the new GM do it in the off season. But RAJ put his stamp on being the worst GM in MLB history with this deal.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RAJ got fleeced plain and simple. I can accept him not getting the prize of the Rangers organization in Gallo. But absolutely no reason why he couldn't have gotten Mazara. If Mazara was not on the table you walk. Your centerpiece in a injured catcher who whiffs as often as Miley Cyrus gets topless. A OF who was to cool for school until the first half of this season. Sounds like another Dom Brown to me. Who some think can't even reach 20/20. A SP who projects as a #3 at best. I knew RAJ would screw this up. But giving the Rangers money plus taking back Harrison is a complete joke. Lets give the Rangers a ace SP for less than 10 million a year. While we don't get any of the teams top prospects back. I said yesterday if this was the return we were going to get we walk. Let MacPhail and the new GM do it in the off season. But RAJ put his stamp on being the worst GM in MLB history with this deal.

Again, RAJ had very little to do with this trade. Gillick and MacPhail were pulling the strings. If you are upset with this trade, you will never be happy with any transaction the Phillies make.

Today is a good day. Pour out a little Jim Beam, put your feet up on the desk, and light a cigar. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, and the Phillies took that first step yesterday.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies had to make a deal. Waiting until next year would have allowed Hamels 10-5 rights to kick in. Who made out on this deal? Both teams did ok in my opinion. The Phillies obtained two prospects that can develop
with proper teaching. Alfaro projects to be a future 1st baseman type with power. As a catcher he only throws out 25% of baserunners. Nick Williams is only 22 years old and is learning center field. He has potential power AND
SEEMS like someone that can get on base. Harrison is pure waste. The Phillies are eating 6 million of his salary
as a gift to Texas. At one time he was a capable number 5 starter, but injuries have reduced him to incapable.
The rest of the prospects are most likely career minor league types. There is little upside at this point in their development. The thing that bothers me the most is that Amaro will have Harrison starting in place of Hamels.
Just another automatic loss in the making. I would grade this trade as a C for the Phillies.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alfaro is #2 or #3 is dependent on which scout you ask, but Philly either got Texas' 2/3/5 or 3/4/5 prospects. It was a haul of prospects, but it sucks because they are all so young it will be 2 years before they are ready. There was talks of Alfaro getting some September time this year, but likely he was going to spend most of next year in the minors still too. If his ankle sets him back all this season like some think, then next year in the minors is a for sure.

Yep. That is a good haul. I took those ranking from Baseball America.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo and Mazaro are Texas 1 and 2 prospects, two outfielders with power right now. I felt Phils should have grabbed one of the two especially since Texas also got Diekman. In their system, Thompson, Williams, and Alfaro are listed as 4, 5, and 6. :hope:

MLBPipeline.com | MLB Prospect Central | texasrangers.com: News

Baseball America & others have Thompson ranked #2, Alfaro #3, & Williams #5. Whatever order you choose to believe, the Phillies got three top 5 Rangers prospects.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't Alfaro be #4 at best? I would rate Gallo, Mazara and Tate above him. Unless you say Gallo has graduated thanks to his cup of coffee in the bigs when Beltre was out.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L x's 1000000000. same fan reaction, over and over and over. so fucking boring. if they don't know the guys, they think it's automatically bad. most experts/knowledgable people grade the trade for the phils around an A, no worse than a B.

why should they be getting mazara since they couldn't get gallo? that's like the phillies giving up nola in a trade after saying no to crawford. or, a better example since it's hitter on hitter, franco instead of crawford. instead of getting one big name, the phils piled up on slightly lesser players. in no fucking way does this mean these guys can't play. for all anyone knows, williams can be 10x's the player mazara is.

and it's hilarious how a possible #3 in the rotation is of no importance too. just a 3? fuck that, send this kid packing. we don't need that. just ridiculous. anyone that can slide in the rotation and perform is just one less guy you have to pay and/or worry about down the line.

they received 3 young players who stand a strong chance to play at the MLB level and contribute. cheap, under control and full of options to help the team. and they have another 2 players, who although are not as talented, can also contribute at some point.

it was a very good trade for the phillies. if you disagree, then you do not know much about baseball. plain and simple.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you're alive? I saw in the news the other day that some guy was tricking in North Philly and got stabbed to death after he got in the car. I just assumed it was you...
A reasonable assumption, but no, fortunately (?) I am still alive and breathing.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so I'm clear, are you referring to Jake Diekman? If so, why even mention him? The guy sucks balls. He sucked in the minors and he sucks in the majors. Who cares where he goes?
Yeah, it's amazing how much more valuable Diekman got in the last 12 hours. You'd have to look pretty hard to find him mentioned in a thread on this forum where something positive is said about him.

However, he does have good "stuff" and he's lowered that BB/9 down below 6 so who knows

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's amazing how much more valuable Diekman got in the last 12 hours. You'd have to look pretty hard to find him mentioned in a thread on this forum where something positive is said about him.

However, he does have good "stuff" and he's lowered that BB/9 down below 6 so who knows

He's 28 years old. 99 ERA+ and 1.50 WHIP in 173 MLB innings. 3.83 ERA 1.74 WHIP in 434 minor innings. He's got a 5.15 ERA and 1.75 WHIP this season.

Why are we talking about this guy?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose this trade can be debated in either direction. The Rangers get 9 million in cash and an additional 6 million in payroll relief by dumping a garbage starter on us. That means they get Hamels for free the rest of the year. Good for them. However we dumped Diekman on them so that was good. All in all we will wait and see how
the trade prospects do. This was not the worst trade in the world! Plus next year we will have more money to spend to upgrade our pitching!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas isn't mathematically out of it this year, but at four games back for a wild card with seven teams ahead of them, I'm thinking this was a move more for next year, yeah?

If Darvish bounces back and they've added Hamels, that's a good start.
Yeah, this was a move for the next few years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gallardo and Lewis moved.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could you look at this deal and call the return "crap"?

I was expecting Mazaro or Gallo. guys with certain raw power, to be included in the deal. Saying the deal is crap right away was a little hasty to be honest because we are getting a .300 minors hitter in outfielder Williams, catcher/infielder in Alfaro, and a couple of additional young pitchers so I can warm up to the deal. But nothing stands out when I look at their stats except Williams. They will all take time to develop. I'll ignore the O'Sullivan clone thrown in. So we'll see what happens in the future.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is a good day. Pour out a little Jim Beam, put your feet up on the desk, and light a cigar. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, and the Phillies took that first step yesterday.

No they fucking didn't. They fell backward down the hill. Took their foot off the ground and never actually landed it. No step.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies had to make a deal. Waiting until next year would have allowed Hamels 10-5 rights to kick in. Who made out on this deal? Both teams did ok in my opinion. The Phillies obtained two prospects that can develop
with proper teaching. Alfaro projects to be a future 1st baseman type with power. As a catcher he only throws out 25% of baserunners. Nick Williams is only 22 years old and is learning center field. He has potential power AND
SEEMS like someone that can get on base. Harrison is pure waste. The Phillies are eating 6 million of his salary
as a gift to Texas. At one time he was a capable number 5 starter, but injuries have reduced him to incapable.
The rest of the prospects are most likely career minor league types. There is little upside at this point in their development. The thing that bothers me the most is that Amaro will have Harrison starting in place of Hamels.
Just another automatic loss in the making. I would grade this trade as a C for the Phillies.

I'd rather watch Hamels for 5 more years than trade him away in a C graded trade. None of these players are building blocks.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we all watch as eaglesnut delves deeper and deeper into stupidity

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we all watch as eaglesnut delves deeper and deeper into stupidity

And you still haven't named one building block we got out of any trade. All you do is try to rip me. Reading prospect rankings doesn't mean you know baseball kid.

The facts are that we had an Ace. Now we don't.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you still haven't named one building block we got out of any trade. All you do is try to rip me. Reading prospect rankings doesn't mean you know baseball kid.

The facts are that we had an Ace. Now we don't.

An ace on a 65 win team. That would have been great