• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jake Thompson to debut Saturday

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to go blind? :lol:

Sure baseball is a business. And you like those risky gambles. I'm glad the guys on the other side of the table weren't offering jack shit. You don't know what you're going to lose and what you're getting in return for young players who are still developing. OK, I'll take Rupp's .830 OPS for a couple of years unless Afaro or Knapp can unseat him.

You probably loved Chiparoos's 2015 Eagles house cleaning where in a few insane swoops, the team lost Foles and McCoy, then later DeMarco Murray, all proven class acts, and all for Chip's cockamania sports business judgement. Now we're stuck with Pederson's Eagles who might struggle to get 5 wins. While it's a different situation, I'm just glad that Klentak is not a brash egomaniac out to unload talent by spinning the wheel.
?? what? uhh I think chip was gone before murray... and murray a class act for the eagles? huh? and btw, no one here is talking about "unloading talent"....without getting more in return...just like hamels, giles, etc trades.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just talking about the sport business, egomanaic style. Murray is a class act himself, but not in Chip's offense. I'm not drawing a clear comparison which is why I said "different situation". You have good, young guys on a team, an egomanic comes in and takes control, rearranges the personnel for his own brilliant plan, and leaves the team in fucken hell. Trading Rupp while he's on the way up, or for that matter, Velasquez, with the idea of selling high are fucking impetuous, braindead, foolish moves that can ruin a rebuild before it's fully started.

Getting more in return? Of course, buy why, when it's too early to see what you really have.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure he can. he can do it next year and 2, 3 years after that. but again, the odds are extremely low. rupp has generally shown himself to be a guy who will ceiling around 10-15 homers with a low .700 ops.

the whole point of selling high is to bait a desperate GM to think and take a chance on rupp that he can currently maintain that 20 homer/.830 ops pace. once again, the odds are extremely low. but the return you receive is based on that .830 ops. so even if he keeps doing it (yetttt again, odds.. extremely low) you most likely have no worse than an even trade. if he regresses to his 10 homer/.710 ops type mark.. then you stole from a team and significantly improved your own.

if, and most likely when, rupp comes out next year and has something like a .301 obp/.698 ops.. no one is going to want him. hoping he can duplicate what he's doing now just so you can win a few more games as a 4th place team.. would be an insanely horrible move.

same thing with velasquez. he has a 1.30 whip and .249 average against. he struggles to make it to the 6th inning and has already had a couple dinky injuries. he's reliant on one pitch, a fastball. no way in hell that will amount to his current 3.33 era next year. he had a lower whip/average with the astros last year and it came with a 4.37 era. the phils most likely asked the rangers for mazara (extremely smart) and the rangers immediately said no (also extremely smart.) and that was probably the end of that conversation.

it's disappointing to see a dink like retro, at his age, have the simple caveman mentality of "guy do good, we keep him. guy do bad, management stink." don't be a fool and follow that path. sports is business. it's all about trading high, buying low, ripping people off, making the right connections and being open to all ideas.

cliff lee had a 2.87 era and a whopping 7.1 WAR in 2013. i wanted him traded at the deadline for a little known (outside of LA) 21 year old at AA as the main piece, joc pederson. of course.. you can't trade the great lee. and who the fuck is this pederson? lee pitched 81 hurt innings the next season and his career was OVER. pederson hit 26 homers/.763 ops at age 23 with the dodgers last year. he's 16/.810 so far this year. sell high.

at the same time, the tigers desperately needed a closer. the phils could not, or would not part with papelbon and make some kind of package to acquire another player i really wanted, nick castellanos. not even going to bother posting his numbers. sell high.

point being.. and this is funny.. clowns like retro absolutely trash GM's like amaro. but the reality is.. they both think, want and talk the same bullshit. retro simply can't stand to hear the thought of a player who is producing being traded. but the ones that aren't? well, it's because management/ownership are the biggest idiots in the world for having them on the team. no insight, no knowledge whatsoever. all amaro did was try to land proven vets, keep them and hope they could carry the team to the postseason.

to that i say; what have fans like retro done to oppose this? JACK FUCKING SHIT. they don't know jack about other team's farm systems, international players, college players, etc. they just know the absolute basics. when someone is doing good, you can't talk bad about them or express interest in trading them. when they are doing bad, management and ownership are stupid and need to fix it. great. great fuckin' insight!

my advice to anyone who loves to attempt to talk serious baseball.. learn the business. don't be an amaro (retro.)

:wank:

I agree with the Buy Low sell High idea but your idea that the way to success in business long term is to steal, and bait and rip people off is just flat out wrong in most cases. The reason you consider trading a Vincent Velasquez at the trading deadline is because other teams have different needs based on where they are in the standings. So at that time, Velasquez's value may be more to contending teams who can get a couple more starts out of him this year in their playoff drive than he is to the Phillies. So those teams might be willing to pay a higher price to get him to improve their chances in the near future.
Also, if you own a restaurant or bar or something, please let me know where it is so I can avoid it--'cause I'm guessing you're watering down your drinks :D. (Also, please let Omar know where it is so he can eat there and review it)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the Buy Low sell High idea but your idea that the way to success in business long term is to steal, and bait and rip people off is just flat out wrong in most cases. The reason you consider trading a Vincent Velasquez at the trading deadline is because other teams have different needs based on where they are in the standings. So at that time, Velasquez's value may be more to contending teams who can get a couple more starts out of him this year in their playoff drive than he is to the Phillies. So those teams might be willing to pay a higher price to get him to improve their chances in the near future.
Also, if you own a restaurant or bar or something, please let me know where it is so I can avoid it--'cause I'm guessing you're watering down your drinks :D. (Also, please let Omar know where it is so he can eat there and review it)
If it's the Greek place on 13th, yes, they are watering down the drinks, but it didn't "ruin" the experience. What do I care- I'm not drinking them? A little Valium in this one, a little Klonopin in this one....

":D"

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jvett, like 90+ percent of fans, you do not understand the business side of sports. therefore, it becomes a moot point to engage in serious organizational talk the majority of the time. you thought the hamels deal was terrible at first.. i believe you hated the giles deal.. and i'd be shocked if you did not absolutely love the howard deal back in the day.

you've already labeled velasquez a "future superstar." what's this based on, his electric fastball? how many pitchers survive on that alone? his control is inconsistent and a huge mark. when you struggle to keep putting away batters, it's a bad sign for the future. it's because he doesn't have good enough stuff behind his fastball, nor can he locate these pitchers properly, to finish hitters off quickly. he's always able to limit the damage so far because that fastball does the job. but as soon as it becomes just a little bit hittable, he's in trouble. you look at his 3 something era and see the strikeouts.. and :wank:

much like you felt he did a good job going 5 innings and giving up 2 runs. what?! that's what you hope for from a spot starter, long man, or someone like that. it's doesn't even register as a quality start. and he left the bullpen to cover 4 innings (wound up being 5 since it went 10.) he's not going to wake up one day with his control magically improved. he's going to need to add another pitch or work extremely hard on his complete arsenal in hopes of finding a way to finish off hitters. the odds are highly against that.

then of course, he already had the tommy john and injury concerns. all these things make him a GREAT sell high player if you can get the right package. 2 other sell high players right now? herrera and rupp. the whole point of selling high is to get equal or better value for what they are doing now because you expect them to decline in the not too distant future, thus making your trade a steal.
Without a doubt you are full of yourself! you may be on the decline based on your bonehead post.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am slightly totaled at this point and freely admit that I am greatly anticipating the debut of the pride of Rockwall, Texas, Jake Thompson. But I do recall some jackoff on here wanting to sell young players so I do hope that any recently proposed or executed sell transactions have been squashed and the lad is still with the team at this point. :suds: