• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Green Bay Signs Kyle Fuller to Offer Sheet

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers sign Kyle Fuller to offer sheet

PFT has confirmed Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune‘s report that Fuller has signed an offer sheetwith the Packers. Neither the value nor the structure of the offer is known at this time.

Fuller’s transition tag came with a one-year salary of $12.9 million and General Manager Ryan Pace said that they used it to buy more time to reach a long-term deal with Fuller. They will have five days to decide if the Packers’ offer is one that is to their liking or if they will let Fuller head to a divisional rival that has made good on their vow to be more aggressive in free agency.

If they do opt to let Fuller go, there will be no compensation coming back from Green Bay.

Yeesh...

This would stink.

I feel pretty confident that we will match it, barring the offer being completely absurd... but damn.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuckin' Green Bay...even sticking it to us in the fucking offseason. This is a win-win for them. They either get a good young player from a rival, or they force our hand into action. Either way, they are dictating things.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuckin' Green Bay...even sticking it to us in the fucking offseason. This is a win-win for them. They either get a good young player from a rival, or they force our hand into action. Either way, they are dictating things.

Yeah... they have money to spend if we decide not to match.

This was pretty f'n genius.

Touche, Green Bay

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t see the number they signed him too. What was the offer sheet for?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s good. I hope he can keep playing well and earn the contract he was signed to

Just heard on the radio that it is the same numbers as the Butler deal.

5 years, 30 mil guaranteed

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 mil per, 18 guaranteed, Bears were going to pay him 12 guaranteed with the Restricted tab so we get him for 4 years for 6 mil guaranteed? I can live with that. My figures could be a bit off, am at a Brewery pretty deep into the experience at the moment.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard on the radio that it is the same numbers as the Butler deal.

5 years, 30 mil guaranteed
So how does this work going forward - contractually?
Can the Packers make another higher offer?
Can other teams make a higher offer?
What prevents the other 31 teams from driving up the price?
(Other than the fact that the Bears decide NOT to match.)
Or does matching the Packer deal take Fuller off the FA map?
I suppose I could look this up, but you guys probably know.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nevermind.
I got my answer.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radio was wrong... lol

18 mil guaranteed ain't bad. I can live with that.

As mentioned -- GB basically just negotiated our deal.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had we of used the franchise tag, we would have protected Fuller and paid him 14M, committing Fuller to just one year to prove it again. Now he essentially has no choice but to match the offer of signing Fuller to multiple years. Big mistake by Pace. Pace just got owned.

Ice_nine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears just got played. They would have been better off with the straight tag, instead they let a division rival drive up the cap hit an long term guaranteed money for a semi-reliable guy. All the Bears had to do was pretend to be willing to let him walk, which the transition tag kinda sorta says anyway. If they were smart now, they would just let him go, because now otherwise no one will believe Pace if he slaps that thing on ever again.

Bad chess game. Probably a decent CB in an offseason full of CBs to keep, but badly playing your hand when there's zero immediate Super Bowl chance to gain seems foolish.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears aren't about to let an NFC North rival poach one of their key players.

Chicago is matching Green Bay's offer sheet for cornerback Kyle Fuller, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source close to the situation. The deal calls for $56 million over four years, with $18 million in guarantees, Rapoport added.

Fuller was already due to receive $12.971 million under the transition tag, so the Bears are on the hook for just over $5 million more in guaranteed money. Allowed five days to match the offer, Chicago took just a few hours to reach a decision.

Had general manager Ryan Pace opted to apply the franchise rather than the transition tag, it's fair to posit that he would be shelling out more money on a long-term deal. The franchise number of $14.975 million would have increased Fuller's leverage and starting point in negotiations.

I agree with the bolded and its not that big of a deal we kept for what they paid him.............Id rather pay hm extra than go to GB.............

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears just got played. They would have been better off with the straight tag, instead they let a division rival drive up the cap hit an long term guaranteed money for a semi-reliable guy. All the Bears had to do was pretend to be willing to let him walk, which the transition tag kinda sorta says anyway. If they were smart now, they would just let him go, because now otherwise no one will believe Pace if he slaps that thing on ever again.

Bad chess game. Probably a decent CB in an offseason full of CBs to keep, but badly playing your hand when there's zero immediate Super Bowl chance to gain seems foolish.

If you franchise tag Fuller. You are now negotiating against the that number. Big no-no.

18 mil guaranteed over a FOUR year deal... or you could be negotiating against nearly 15 million, fully guaranteed on just a ONE year year deal with the tag on.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears will match the offer, this is a no brainer.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you franchise tag Fuller. You are now negotiating against the that number. Big no-no.

18 mil guaranteed over a FOUR year deal... or you could be negotiating against nearly 15 million, fully guaranteed on just a ONE year year deal with the tag on.
Bottom line- the Bears were extending him. Just a question of how. The issue of keeping Fuller wasn't really much of a question: He'd have been the top off-man CB on the FA market (most of the guys who got paid are press guys like Trumaine Johnson)