• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great ESPN article posted today regarding the Russ/Seattle divorce

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland could have had Wilson instead of Baker Mayfield ? That’s a swing and a miss by Cleveland… Seattle was willing to take the Browns 1st overall for Wilson, MAN they should have jumped at that …

If that Happened who would the Seahawks have chosen? If I remember correctly didn't Jon really like Josh Allen that season?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While true that Lane was playing a good game until the injury, his injury was on NE second drive - at the end of the first quarter. That defense was so banged up - if I remember, Sherm was playing with one arm and Thomas had a hurt knee going into the game. It was just brutal to replace Lane with Simon, and to lose Avril on top of that it was just too much for the defense to overcome.

Yeah I for some reason remembered it as Lane went down early in the 3rd and the team completely fell apart. It was Avril that dropped in the 3rd early and the defense went all prevent rushing only 3 guys for a lot of the 2nd half. Can't play Tom Brady like that he will pick you apart and EVERYONE knows that.

I had Avril and Lanes injury times mixed up. ( Flipped ) I thought Avril went out early.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland could have had Wilson instead of Baker Mayfield ? That’s a swing and a miss by Cleveland… Seattle was willing to take the Browns 1st overall for Wilson, MAN they should have jumped at that …

Kinda tells you the thinking of the Seahawks front office. They were willing to get rid of a top tier QB for a lottery ticket.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that Happened who would the Seahawks have chosen? If I remember correctly didn't Jon really like Josh Allen that season?

If that was the case they would have traded with one of the top 6 teams that passed on him.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I think Josh was a guy they liked … Hard to say what exactly they would have done, but interesting to imagine …

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda tells you the thinking of the Seahawks front office. They were willing to get rid of a top tier QB for a lottery ticket.

I think they were a little miffed at Russ at the time… I guess John was super interested in Patrick Mahomes and was attending some workouts with him and it pissed off Russ… So it sounds like even in 2017 they were open to trade Russ …

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they were a little miffed at Russ at the time… I guess John was super interested in Patrick Mahomes and was attending some workouts with him and it pissed off Russ… So it sounds like even in 2017 they were open to trade Russ
Or thinking about a QB they could develop behind Russ

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe they didn't see Russ as top tier

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or thinking about a QB they could develop behind Russ
I think what is most likely is that they felt their secret sauce was having a cheap good QB that could manage the offense while they grew into stars, so they could then be spendthrifts in every other position. My guess is that they were not thrilled about spending a fortune on Russ.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly they didn't.

And the last couple years, neither do I. 2nd tier, sure, but I think the holes in his game have grown as his elusiveness and speed has diminished. He didn't turn into the pocket passer who could stand there and use his accuracy to pick a D apart. His accuracy downfield was never questioned, but he never showed the ability to hit the mid field stuff unless he was out of the pocket away from bodies.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much agree with all of this. This was a HUGE gamble, not just by Pete and Johhn, but by the entire Seahawks organization. If Russ winds up going to a AFC championship game and the Seahawks go 6-11, the Seahawks will be a laughing stock.

Now if Russ completely fizzles and the Broncos miss the playoffs and the Seahawks somehow get 9 wins, they will be seen as geniuses.

I've made my views on what is likely to happen pretty clear on that.
Isn't that the expectation, though? The team that trades a superstar for fat draft picks is expected to get worse before they get better, and the team that trades fat draft picks for a superstar is expected to contend.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the expectation, though? The team that trades a superstar for fat draft picks is expected to get worse before they get better, and the team that trades fat draft picks for a superstar is expected to contend.

Right. Which is why teams don't trade superstar QB unless they think they are washed.

If Russ can take a Broncos team to the AFC Championship game with a roster that isn't all that much better than the Seahawks, then what does that say about Pete's approach and the general attempt to lay our failures to reach the championship game at Pete's feet?

OTOH, if Russ does the exact same thing in Denver he did in Seattle and shows the exact flaws in his game, then Pete is vindicated.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Which is why teams don't trade superstar QB unless they think they are washed.

If Russ can take a Broncos team to the AFC Championship game with a roster that isn't all that much better than the Seahawks, then what does that say about Pete's approach and the general attempt to lay our failures to reach the championship game at Pete's feet?

OTOH, if Russ does the exact same thing in Denver he did in Seattle and shows the exact flaws in his game, then Pete is vindicated.
Denver is considered to have a top-ten defense coming into this year and a middling O-line. Seattle is more like bottom ten for both. Apart from WR1 and TE the Broncos have better skill players than the Seahawks - definitely better depth. (I think Walker will be a star by the end of the year, though.) So it’s not a lateral move for Wilson.

I’m looking at more like 4-13 for Seattle this year and 10-7 for the Broncos. Wilson over Geno/Lock and Bridgewater/Lock should be good for three wins.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would not be surprised if Denver just sneaks into the playoffs. They have a tough division and overall schedule. They should make the playoffs, but I could see them being 3rd or 4th in their division. As of right now, I don't see them being top two.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver is considered to have a top-ten defense coming into this year and a middling O-line. Seattle is more like bottom ten for both. Apart from WR1 and TE the Broncos have better skill players than the Seahawks - definitely better depth. (I think Walker will be a star by the end of the year, though.) So it’s not a lateral move for Wilson.

I’m looking at more like 4-13 for Seattle this year and 10-7 for the Broncos. Wilson over Geno/Lock and Bridgewater/Lock should be good for three wins.
I would take the WR2 over Denver too. Lockett and Metcalf are a crazy good one-two punch . . . that are going to be wasted now

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I honestly don't know what the Broncos will wind up doing. I could see winning anywhere from 9 to 13 wins.

It will depend on whether Russ was limited by Pete or by his own abilities. We will find out soon enough

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. Apart from WR1 and TE the Broncos have better skill players than the Seahawks

WTF? haha ok who is our WR1? Little shocker it's not DK Metcalf, He is our WR2. I don't see a WR on the broncos as good as Tyler and DK. People continue to ignore who Lockett is. Denver has some good WR yes but they have a long way to go to be Lockett good. So you say WR2, QB1 and RB1 are all better than Seattle's beside WR1 and TE. Skilled positions are QBs, WRs, RBs and TE thats it ( for offense ) Tyler Lockett is the MOST under rated WR in the NFL and it's not even close. I would say the only advantage the Broncos have is QB1 because if our RB ( Penny ) could stay healthy he is a beast. always has been ....when healthy lol. Oline ranking now I say Seattles Oline this year is better than Denvers. Denver should have a VERY good defense but it wont be as good as it was last year. If you want to Say DK is the one you were talking about as a #2 I will take it but lets not just ignore everything Lockett has done just because he is small and quiet. lol I will protect the little guy.

Go look up Tyler Lockett Underrated. The Numbers are crazy. Remember Tyler didn't become a full time starter till 2018 but was a all pro first team returner before then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Since the start of the 2019 season, Lockett stands out as the only receiver in the NFL with at least 70 receptions, 1,000 receiving yards, and eight touchdowns in each of the past three seasons. He's one of one. Out of the 26 seasons with such numbers collectively, superstar receivers Davante Adams and Cooper Kupp were the only others who achieved those marks twice in that same span.

Further demonstrating his remarkable efficiency, according to Pro Football Reference, Lockett produced a catch rate of at least 68 percent in all three of those seasons. Combining those impressive catch rates with his receptions, receiving yardage, and touchdown totals, only 11 other seasons matching those numbers happened in the entire league from 2019 to 2021.

Making these statistics over an extended period of time all the more remarkable, a large percentage of Lockett's production over the years has come on downfield throws, which typically have a lower hit rate. Quarterback Russell Wilson deserves some of the credit for his deep passing prowess, but over the past three years, Lockett's seven touchdown receptions of 40-plus yards ranks third in the league behind only A.J. Brown and Tyreek Hill."

“Lockett seems to get lost in the conversation despite his considerable understanding of the nuances of the position. In 2021, Lockett caught 73 passes for 1,175 yards and eight touchdowns in an offense that was always synced up, to put it kindly. Lockett also led the league with 20 receptions of 20 or more air yards for 740 yards and five of his touchdowns… Whether from the slot or outside, Lockett has become one of the game’s most proficient and technically practiced targets in the NFL. No matter who his quarterback may be.”

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? haha ok who is our WR1? Little shocker it's not DK Metcalf, He is our WR2. I don't see a WR on the broncos as good as Tyler and DK. People continue to ignore who Lockett is. Denver has some good WR yes but they have a long way to go to be Lockett good. So you say WR2, QB1 and RB1 are all better than Seattle's beside WR1 and TE. Skilled positions are QBs, WRs, RBs and TE thats it ( for offense ) Tyler Lockett is the MOST under rated WR in the NFL and it's not even close. I would say the only advantage the Broncos have is QB1 because if our RB ( Penny ) could stay healthy he is a beast. always has been ....when healthy lol. Oline ranking now I say Seattles Oline this year is better than Denvers. Denver should have a VERY good defense but it wont be as good as it was last year. If you want to Say DK is the one you were talking about as a #2 I will take it but lets not just ignore everything Lockett has done just because he is small and quiet. lol I will protect the little guy.

Go look up Tyler Lockett Underrated. The Numbers are crazy. Remember Tyler didn't become a full time starter till 2018 but was a all pro first team returner before then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Since the start of the 2019 season, Lockett stands out as the only receiver in the NFL with at least 70 receptions, 1,000 receiving yards, and eight touchdowns in each of the past three seasons. He's one of one. Out of the 26 seasons with such numbers collectively, superstar receivers Davante Adams and Cooper Kupp were the only others who achieved those marks twice in that same span.

Further demonstrating his remarkable efficiency, according to Pro Football Reference, Lockett produced a catch rate of at least 68 percent in all three of those seasons. Combining those impressive catch rates with his receptions, receiving yardage, and touchdown totals, only 11 other seasons matching those numbers happened in the entire league from 2019 to 2021.

Making these statistics over an extended period of time all the more remarkable, a large percentage of Lockett's production over the years has come on downfield throws, which typically have a lower hit rate. Quarterback Russell Wilson deserves some of the credit for his deep passing prowess, but over the past three years, Lockett's seven touchdown receptions of 40-plus yards ranks third in the league behind only A.J. Brown and Tyreek Hill."

“Lockett seems to get lost in the conversation despite his considerable understanding of the nuances of the position. In 2021, Lockett caught 73 passes for 1,175 yards and eight touchdowns in an offense that was always synced up, to put it kindly. Lockett also led the league with 20 receptions of 20 or more air yards for 740 yards and five of his touchdowns… Whether from the slot or outside, Lockett has become one of the game’s most proficient and technically practiced targets in the NFL. No matter who his quarterback may be.”
I don't think Lockett is underrated. He gets his respect, maybe not as much as we want him to though. I would say our underrated player is Penny simply because heis never on the field. Walker may be a beast but only time will tell. I would give the edge at RB to Denver over Seattle right now. I would also give them the edge for OL as we have a lot of rookies as starters (I know practically nothing about Denver's OL other than the talking heads say it isn't proven yet either).