• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golden State to retire Durant’s number

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilt won a ring with the 76ers. And also played more than 3 seasons there.

Oddly enough, he actually played more games for “Philly” than any other city, though roughly half were with the Philadephia Warriors and not the 76ers.

He also was born in Philly, went to HS there, and is the most dominant player in NBA history. So he’s got a very strong connection to Philadephia outside of his career there.

My bad on the championship. I was wrong about that. Thought it was all Celtics during that era.

But his other Philly seasons were with the Warriors. Different franchise all together.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

so.....not only did he play more than 3 years , he also won a ring...... care to respond @tlance ?

Do you?

Or are you just going to deflect as normal.

I even found 2 guys who never played a game with the franchise and got their numbers retired.

Only 2 time Finals MVP without a retired number is LeBron and KD.

And those are both coming. As they should.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

so.....not only did he play more than 3 years , he also won a ring...... care to respond @tlance ?

Not sure what your point is, as Durant only played half a season less with the Warriors than Wilt with the Sixers, and Durant won 2 rings as opposed to just one.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hilarious.

Again.

2 time Finals MVP winner.

How much more do you want someone to do?

I don’t see a single Warrior fan on here saying it is a bad idea. And these ceremonies are 100% about the franchise and their fans.

So if the Blazers want to retire Dave Twardzik’s number and the Heat want to retire Dan Marino’s and Michael Jordan’s numbers, than so be it.

If the fans of the team are good with it, then everyone should be too.

And yes. Marino and Jordan do have their numbers retired by the Heat.

Franchises do a lot of dumb things like give Juwan Howard a max contract. It's their choice but I can disagree and ridicule the decision if I like. Your logic is that other franchises do it so it isn't dumb is not really a good way of justifying their bad decisions. I think longevity with a franchise and accomplishments have to both be satisfied when retiring a jersey. When I see a retired jersey in the rafters, I want that player’s name to be synonymous with the team. I don’t think Durant fits that criteria.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchises do a lot of dumb things like give Juwan Howard a max contract. It's their choice but I can disagree and ridicule the decision if I like. Your logic is that other franchises do it so it isn't dumb is not really and good way of justifying their bad decisions. I think longevity with a franchise and accomplishments have to both be satisfied when retiring a jersey. When I see a retired jersey in the rafters, I want that player’s name to be synonymous with the team. I don’t think Durant fits that criteria.

That is all great.

Most fans would disagree if we were talking about a player that was instrumental in delivering 2 championships to their city. Easy to criticize another team/player that if I had to guess I would say most of the naysayers don’t like very much.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I think tlance’s point still remains. Not a huge difference between 3 seasons and 3.5 seasons. Just providing some additional info.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think tlance’s point still remains. Not a huge difference between 3 seasons and 3.5 seasons. Just providing some additional info.

Yeah, there's a lot of guys who only played 3, 3.5, or 4 seasons for team and got their jersey retired. Longevity doesn't seem to be much of a factor when you're talking about one of the greatest to ever play. I think longevity is more important for guys who aren't at that top tier. For the guys like Durant, historical significance is the biggest factor, IMO.

Anyone writing a history of the NBA during this time period can't ignore the significance and greatness of Durant's Warriors years. I think all of the other Hamptons Five will get their jerseys retired by the Warriors, so it would be weird years from now to look up at the rafters and see that there is no Durant jersey up there with Curry, Klay, Iguodala, and Green.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all great.

Most fans would disagree if we were talking about a player that was instrumental in delivering 2 championships to their city. Easy to criticize another team/player that if I had to guess I would say most of the naysayers don’t like very much.

I would love to see a survey of what fans think of retiring Durant's number. I would guess it would be pretty even.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all great.

We could both be wrong I guess but I disagree. I happen to think that if the question was asked properly most would agree that the retiring of jerseys should mean more than that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could both be wrong I guess but I disagree. I happen to think that if the question was asked properly most would agree that the retiring of jerseys should mean more than that.

How would you feel about OKC retiring his number?

I am willing to bet more OKC fans would take issue with the Thunder retiring his number than warrior fans would.

And we are talking about a player on a top 10-15 all time type trajectory. Since it is the Warriors talking about doing this only Warrior fans opinion really matters.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you feel about OKC retiring his number?

I am willing to bet more OKC fans would take issue with the Thunder retiring his number than warrior fans would.

And we are talking about a player on a top 10-15 all time type trajectory. Since it is the Warriors talking about doing this only Warrior fans opinion really matters.

I firmly believe the Thunder will retire his jersey someday but it will be after Westbrook’s now. And I can have an opinion, I think in general only 3 years service cheapens the jerseys it hangs next to.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I firmly believe the Thunder will retire his jersey someday but it will be after Westbrook’s now. And I can have an opinion, I think in general only 3 years service cheapens the jerseys it hangs next to.

I think that is fair.

But to me, it all depends on what you accomplish. If you spend your entire career with the same team the threshold is obviously lower. And it should be.

The shorter the time, the more spectacular the accomplishment needs to be. KD was spectacular in his 3 years with Golden State.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is fair.

But to me, it all depends on what you accomplish. If you spend your entire career with the same team the threshold is obviously lower. And it should be.

The shorter the time, the more spectacular the accomplishment needs to be. KD was spectacular in his 3 years with Golden State.

So let’s ask this, if this was the end of his career and he had done the exact same thing with his 3 years would that matter? Obviously things in the league are changing from the old times I miss.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All born in Akron. LeBron & Steph @ the same hospital. Also HOFer Gus Johnson's from Akron. And Thurmond & Johnson were HS teammates.
Sugar was also born in Akron. I wonder whatever happened to her.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in: Silver proposes to retire Robert Horry's number league-wide

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, 35, 23, 11, 9 and 30 should all be in the rafters one day.
If only there was a way to honor the entire team, like, I dunno...with some banners or something? You know, with their accomplishments listed on them?

I know, dumb idea...I'll show myself out

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let’s ask this, if this was the end of his career and he had done the exact same thing with his 3 years would that matter? Obviously things in the league are changing from the old times I miss.

If he was the best player on his team and won Finals MVP twice then I don’t think it matters what stage of his career that happens in.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was the best player on his team and won Finals MVP twice then I don’t think it matters what stage of his career that happens in.

Well we aren’t going to agree, I was just wondering if more would be apt to support it, I think maybe. I remain a no though for all it’s worth lol.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there's a lot of guys who only played 3, 3.5, or 4 seasons for team and got their jersey retired. Longevity doesn't seem to be much of a factor when you're talking about one of the greatest to ever play. I think longevity is more important for guys who aren't at that top tier. For the guys like Durant, historical significance is the biggest factor, IMO.

Anyone writing a history of the NBA during this time period can't ignore the significance and greatness of Durant's Warriors years. I think all of the other Hamptons Five will get their jerseys retired by the Warriors, so it would be weird years from now to look up at the rafters and see that there is no Durant jersey up there with Curry, Klay, Iguodala, and Green.

Is Iguodala going to get his number retired? If so, why didn’t they announce it when he was traded?