• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golden State to retire Durant’s number

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is dumb.

that whole relationship, between KD and the Warriors was so transactional. He was really never embraced and never appeared to be comfortable in his own skin. As Isaid, it looked like he wanted to get the monkey off his back and then go on with his career how he wanted to do it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those saying this is dumb:

Please find another player in the history of the NBA with 2 Finals MVPs in 1 city who doesn’t have his number retired there.

I get he was there 3 years and the team was really good without him. But if the Warriors want to retire his number, he earned it.

So did Klay, Curry, Draymond and Iggy.

Who I suspect will all get their due in time.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please find another player in the history of the NBA with 2 Finals MVPs in 1 city who doesn’t have his number retired there.

I get he was there 3 years and the team was really good without him. But if the Warriors want to retire his number, he earned it.

The Warriors better retire Patrick McCaw's number too. He gots as many rings w/ G.S. as KD.

McCaw (3 rings) > KD (2 rings)

#facts :heh:

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is dumb. KD was not the reason they won. He was just part of it. 3 years is not nearly enough time to get your number retired. It's kind of like how most Hall of Fames have been diluted to the Halls of very good.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is dumb. KD was not the reason they won. He was just part of it. 3 years is not nearly enough time to get your number retired. It's kind of like how most Hall of Fames have been diluted to the Halls of very good.

2 Finals MVPs.

KD has been a top 3 player in the NBA for his duration with Golden State. He is a great player who brought 2 championships to the Bay they might not have won without him.

Most players who have their numbers retired fail to accomplish as much in their entire careers as KD did in 3 years with the Warriors.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 Finals MVPs.

KD has been a top 3 player in the NBA for his duration with Golden State. He is a great player who brought 2 championships to the Bay they might not have won without him.

Most players who have their numbers retired fail to accomplish as much in their entire careers as KD did in 3 years with the Warriors.
I don't think 2 finals MVP's is enough to get your number retired. But it's not my choice. Now if the Warriors were shit before he got there it would be different.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it's dumb. He's been there three years. He played the majority of his career for another franchise. Suggesting they will eventually retire Iggy's number is equally dumb. Iggy is a nice complimentary piece on that team. Nothing more. His best years were in Philly

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily think it's dumb. It's just unusual. @tlance makes a good point re: what he's accomplished in such a short time.

There are guys who have had their numbers retired who haven't accomplished as much in their career as KD did in 3 with the Warriors.

If KD had even been there 4 or 5 years with the same number of finals trips, titles and MVP's and the Warriors said they were going to retire his number...no one would bat an eye.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's dumb. He's been there three years. He played the majority of his career for another franchise. Suggesting they will eventually retire Iggy's number is equally dumb. Iggy is a nice complimentary piece on that team. Nothing more. His best years were in Philly

Key members from dynasties tend to get their numbers retired. It isn’t just about stats or longevity.

Also, there are a lot of players throughout NBA history who have had numbers retired with 4 seasons or less. Portland retired just about every rotation player from their ‘77 championship team including guys who were a lot less important than Iguodala in the Warrrir dynasty.

I could list specific examples if you want, but again, there are dozens of players with retired jerseys who accomplished less than Durant did in his 3 years with the Warriors.

Also, don’t forget the Achilles injury. The way that went down certainly impacts the decision to retire his number.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other players with retired jerseys after 3 years:

Drazen Petrovich
Bobby Phils
Nate Thurmond- Cavs
Malik Sealy
Wilt Chamberlain- 6ers

Now 3 of those died. I get that.

Thurmond and Chamberlain were stars. Thurmond just not on the level of KD. Wilt certainly was amazing statistically, but won 0 rings with Philly.

A few more:

Dr. J- 4 years with the Nets
Maravich- 4 years with the Hawks
Drexler- 4 years with the Rockets
Lanier- 4 years with the Bucks
Barkley- 4 years with the Suns
Maurice Stokes- 4 years with Kings
Spencer Haywood- 4 years with Sonics
Earl Monroe- 4 years with Bullets

Most of those were great players. None accomplished as much during those 4 year stints as KD did in GS.

I could go on with role player types who have been retired for various reasons. Point is, it is up to the franchise to decide who is worth honoring based on their contributions. And if the Warriors want to honor KD, then there is absolutely no good reason why they shouldn’t.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess someone has to retire his jersey. It sure as hell isn't going to be OKC.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shaq was in Miami for 4 years, won one title, no MVPs and got his jersey retired from the Heat

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other players with retired jerseys after 3 years:

Drazen Petrovich
Bobby Phils
Nate Thurmond- Cavs
Malik Sealy
Wilt Chamberlain- 6ers

Now 3 of those died. I get that.

Thurmond and Chamberlain were stars. Thurmond just not on the level of KD. Wilt certainly was amazing statistically, but won 0 rings with Philly.

A few more:

Dr. J- 4 years with the Nets
Maravich- 4 years with the Hawks
Drexler- 4 years with the Rockets
Lanier- 4 years with the Bucks
Barkley- 4 years with the Suns
Maurice Stokes- 4 years with Kings
Spencer Haywood- 4 years with Sonics
Earl Monroe- 4 years with Bullets

Most of those were great players. None accomplished as much during those 4 year stints as KD did in GS.

I could go on with role player types who have been retired for various reasons. Point is, it is up to the franchise to decide who is worth honoring based on their contributions. And if the Warriors want to honor KD, then there is absolutely no good reason why they shouldn’t.

Speaking of Thurmond, what does he have in common with Seth Curry and LeBron James?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Thurmond, what does he have in common with Seth Curry and LeBron James?

All born in Akron. LeBron & Steph @ the same hospital. Also HOFer Gus Johnson's from Akron. And Thurmond & Johnson were HS teammates.