• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golden State to retire Durant’s number

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Iguodala going to get his number retired? If so, why didn’t they announce it when he was traded?
He ain't gonna be welcome at the new arena for awhile.

After he spilled the beans last week I thought he might get cut. But they traded him instead.

This number retirement seems like an attempt to keep Durant quiet, unlike Iggy, imo.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something franchises that don't win do.

Kinda shocked tbh. Hence my stance on the ulterior motives.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something franchises that don't win do.

Kinda shocked tbh. Hence my stance on the ulterior motives.

Evidently it's something some teams that win do. Because the Warriors win a shit-ton these days.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently it's something some teams that win do. Because the Warriors win a shit-ton these days.
Which is why it's weird.

Good before he got there, good once Klay is healthy again.

And it's a franchise with a strong history. It's not the Nets or pre-Bron Cavs, or Hawks, or Kings. Dubs have an honest history of HOF career guys.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GSW can do whatever they want, but sort of stupid to retire the number of a guy that was there for just 3 years and ran out the door because he didn't like the organization.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GSW can do whatever they want, but sort of stupid to retire the number of a guy that was there for just 3 years and ran out the door because he didn't like the organization.
This is purely about recruiting future FAs (Giannis)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is purely about recruiting future FAs (Giannis)

Are you implying they would whore out their rafter in order to bring in an FA? "Hey, if you just play here for a couple of years we will retire your jersey".

While getting a number retired is the goal of every NBA player, not sure showing that you have watered the prestige down so much that a 3 year player (no matter how good he was in those three years) who stormed out of town gets his number retired is the way to go.

Would be like MIT handing out PhD's to anyone that donates a million bucks. Won't take long for the prestige of a doctorate from MIT to be akin to University of Phoenix.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you implying they would whore out their rafter in order to bring in an FA? "Hey, if you just play here for a couple of years we will retire your jersey".

While getting a number retired is the goal of every NBA player, not sure showing that you have watered the prestige down so much that a 3 year player (no matter how good he was in those three years) who stormed out of town gets his number retired is the way to go.

Would be like MIT handing out PhD's to anyone that donates a million bucks. Won't take long for the prestige of a doctorate from MIT to be akin to University of Phoenix.
If it helps us keep getting rings, sounds good to me

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are so damn touchy

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Iguodala going to get his number retired? If so, why didn’t they announce it when he was traded?

By league rules they can't formally say anything regarding Iguodala because he's in the process of being traded. So technically he's still on their team until the moratorium is lifted, whereas KD is a free agent and no longer under team control. That's why they could make the statement on KD but not on Iguodala.

That's why all the trades that happened that have yet to be completed, no one is saying anything about. You haven't seen Brooklyn say anything thanking D'Lo or the Warriors making any formal statements on acquiring him. Etc, etc.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By league rules they can't formally say anything regarding Iguodala because he's in the process of being traded. So technically he's still on their team until the moratorium is lifted, whereas KD is a free agent and no longer under team control. That's why they could make the statement on KD but not on Iguodala.

That's why all the trades that happened that have yet to be completed, no one is saying anything about. You haven't seen Brooklyn say anything thanking D'Lo or the Warriors making any formal statements on acquiring him. Etc, etc.

So what are your thoughts on eventually having KD’s # retired?

Pretty sure I know the answer. Just want to hear it.

I think all 5 should be in the rafters.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are your thoughts on eventually having KD’s # retired?

Pretty sure I know the answer. Just want to hear it.

I think all 5 should be in the rafters.

I think he definitely warrants consideration for retirement. These are really special circumstances that we're considering here. The Warriors were a legitimate dynasty. 5 straight finals appearances and 3 championships is incredible. Durant was here for 3 of the 5 finals, or more than half. So there's a different criteria that should be weighed in this situation versus any other.

I mean the absolute best way I can compare this is Durant and Shaq. Shaq had his jersey retired by the Heat with whom he only played 3 years. On top of that he wasn't the "best" player when they won that championship, it was Wade. Durant accomplished more than Shaq did with the Heat and I don't see any problem at all honoring that accomplishment.

My normal criteria for a jersey retirement would be:

1) Longevity
2) Production
3) Legacy impact to the team

KD doesn't fit category 1 as he was only here for 3 years. But he definitely fits 2 and 3, in spectacular fashion.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What rule is that? Why would a rule prevent a team from saying that a current player’s number will be retired?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rule is that? Why would a rule prevent a team from saying that a current player’s number will be retired?

It's in the CBA, Page 47 Article 5, sub-section 6. Third paragraph, 4 lines down.

Or I saw it on twitter from a reputable source who no one refuted.