• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #9 Washington Commanders vs NE Patriots Sunday, November 5, 2023 1:00 PM (TBD)

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear/sorry to hear.

All good. We're super psyched to be part of this team. The kids are 10 y.o. and the team is mostly new so they're winning games against teams that have been together a while. My kid only played rec ball until now. He was always the best in his leagues but now he's playing with some really solid players so it's fantastic to watch his growth. Our lives are pretty much baseball every single day now with travel on Saturdays and Sundays every week. They play all year.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good. We're super psyched to be part of this team. The kids are 10 y.o. and the team is mostly new so they're winning games against teams that have been together a while. My kid only played rec ball until now. He was always the best in his leagues but now he's playing with some really solid players so it's fantastic to watch his growth. Our lives are pretty much baseball every single day now with travel on Saturdays and Sundays every week. They play all year.
Ahh...travel ball.
The best way to burn kids out from the sport they love.

Just kidding...a little...

My daughter has decided no travel soccer this spring. She loves it and is going to continue going to the gym and working her ball skills for next years High school team, but wants to focus on school work and getting all A's, which she is in AP classes. She is also working Dutch Bro's and travel for practice and weekends for away tournaments could effect job/income as well as study time. She knows she's not going to get a soccer scholarship and wants to focus on getting an academic scholarship, in her quest to be an orthodontist.

I am so proud of her and yet so disappointed. Disappointed because such a huge chunk of my life has just closed.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh...travel ball.
The best way to burn kids out from the sport they love.

Just kidding...a little...

My daughter has decided no travel soccer this spring. She loves it and is going to continue going to the gym and working her ball skills for next years High school team, but wants to focus on school work and getting all A's, which she is in AP classes. She is also working Dutch Bro's and travel for practice and weekends for away tournaments could effect job/income as well as study time. She knows she's not going to get a soccer scholarship and wants to focus on getting an academic scholarship, in her quest to be an orthodontist.

I am so proud of her and yet so disappointed. Disappointed because such a huge chunk of my life has just closed.

I've heard nightmares about travel ball and have now seen it with my own eyes but so far so good for us. Some of the other teams have parents that are just awful people and the pressure on the kids is too much. The coach of our team is a stand up guy and his primary focus is on school work and the kids improving their baseball skills. School first. Baseball next. He's not one of those lunatics so it was the perfect match for us and my kid really really really wanted to step up to travel ball. Apologies if I sound like I'm bragging but he just looked ridiculous on his rec team because he was so far ahead of everybody else.

Our situation happened organically. My kid was hitting balls at the playground and the coach was there and saw him and walked up to me and asked me to bring him to practice. After practice we never gave him our contact info and the guy hunted us down via my kids school.

I understand the burnout side of it but I'm cautiously optimistic. We're having a blast and so is my kid. If he wasn't practicing with his team he'd be practicing with me so he'd be practicing regardless.

But I'll be sad too if/when it ends. We're having way too much fun.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard nightmares about travel ball and have now seen it with my own eyes but so far so good for us. Some of the other teams have parents that are just awful people and the pressure on the kids is too much. The coach of our team is a stand up guy and his primary focus is on school work and the kids improving their baseball skills. School first. Baseball next. He's not one of those lunatics so it was the perfect match for us and my kid really really really wanted to step up to travel ball. Apologies if I sound like I'm bragging but he just looked ridiculous on his rec team because he was so far ahead of everybody else.

Our situation happened organically. My kid was hitting balls at the playground and the coach was there and saw him and walked up to me and asked me to bring him to practice. After practice we never gave him our contact info and the guy hunted us down via my kids school.

I understand the burnout side of it but I'm cautiously optimistic. We're having a blast and so is my kid. If he wasn't practicing with his team he'd be practicing with me so he'd be practicing regardless.

But I'll be sad too if/when it ends. We're having way too much fun.
Yeah, we were lucky with soccer just because there is a fall season and a spring season with off periods in between I know people around here that are baseball full time all year round. But there are a half a dozen kids that went to Vanderbilt and UT on full ride scholarships for baseball from our high school alone. and there are...8 high schools here. A lot of kids get that free ride through baseball.

I loved the travel soccer, going to all the away tournaments, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri and all over TN.
Good times.

Enjoy it while you can!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the travel soccer, going to all the away tournaments, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri and all over TN.
Good times.
I coached 17U AAU travel Basketball. ME, NJ, VT, MA, RI, NY, NJ.

Kids were great. Parents a royal pain in my ass. I was 58 and called it quits after that.