• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 7: Lions at Rams

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already have Harris and the Okwara Brothers.

Harris would have to be re-signed and his run defense in horrible

Romeo Okwara will more than likely be extremely limited early on next year -same for Okudah -
Here's a good article on what might to expect coming back from an achilles injury - This particular article followed former Lions DE Kerry Hyder and his progression post injury

Hyder’s path to recovery offers a blueprint for Okwara (both 26-year-old EDGE rushers at the time of injury) and potentially Okudah (a 22-year-old cornerback).

Both Okwara and Okudah’s 2021 season is over and they are looking at a recovery time that could reach a full year before they’re able to return to play—though it is becoming more common to return a bit sooner, meaning 2022 training camp is not off the table.

The odds are that the 2022 season could result in a reduced or situational role as each player is recovering to full health, but it's important to recognize that others in the NFL have overcome these odds and have returned without setback sooner.

By 2023, at a minimum, both are expected to be back at full capacity.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt Flowers will be on the team in 2022. 12.8M dead cap and 10.4 cap savings

I could see Holmes "attempt to trade Flowers" but that 16M Salary for the next 2 years will be a huge hinderance to see that come to fruition.

I doubt you could get anything more than a 5th or 6th round pick back and it would have to be a team with a ton of cap space
As long as we save a ton of money I will be happy. He is not a superstar and if we get a late round pick then even better.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris would have to be re-signed and his run defense in horrible

Romeo Okwara will more than likely be extremely limited early on next year -same for Okudah -
Here's a good article on what might to expect coming back from an achilles injury - This particular article followed former Lions DE Kerry Hyder and his progression post injury

Hyder’s path to recovery offers a blueprint for Okwara (both 26-year-old EDGE rushers at the time of injury) and potentially Okudah (a 22-year-old cornerback).

Both Okwara and Okudah’s 2021 season is over and they are looking at a recovery time that could reach a full year before they’re able to return to play—though it is becoming more common to return a bit sooner, meaning 2022 training camp is not off the table.

The odds are that the 2022 season could result in a reduced or situational role as each player is recovering to full health, but it's important to recognize that others in the NFL have overcome these odds and have returned without setback sooner.

By 2023, at a minimum, both are expected to be back at full capacity.
Can we give Romeo an injury settlement and then resign him for a lot less?

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be an ugly one.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be an ugly one.
I'm gonna be wearing my new Stafford Rams jersey and enjoying the shit outta this one.

No QB in NFL history has ever thrown 8 TDs in a game, but a bunch of people are tied with 7. I think it's about time to break that tie.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna be wearing my new Stafford Rams jersey and enjoying the shit outta this one.

No QB in NFL history has ever thrown 8 TDs in a game, but a bunch of people are tied with 7. I think it's about time to break that tie.
Wonder what the over under is for Stanford TD’s on Sunday? Probably a good parley bet.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pulling for Stafford, but not this week. I hope he throws 3 INTs and loses 2 fumbles.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was a surprise.

Goff had a chance to win this and choked. Had a decent game until the end. I will give the coaches credit for an improved game plan. The O-line missing two of the best in the game performed admirable and even the LBs didnt totally suck.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was a surprise.

Goff had a chance to win this and choked. Had a decent game until the end. I will give the coaches credit for an improved game plan. The O-line missing two of the best in the game performed admirable and even the LBs didnt totally suck.
A surprise onside kick and 2 special teams trick plays on 4th all being successful is extremely rare, but I love they pulled out all of the stops. I have little doubt that had Goff not choked and thrown a pick there, Stafford marches the team down and we lose on a third last second 50 yard FG of the season. The pick did not change the outcome, and the pick loss was actually less painful.

Outside of the trick plays I saw a lot that was promising things. It sucks they failed on the 4th and one, but I am thrilled they attempted a run on it, I probably would have wanted Williams in there over swift, but Campbell shows weekly improvement imo.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A surprise onside kick and 2 special teams trick plays on 4th all being successful is extremely rare, but I love they pulled out all of the stops. I have little doubt that had Goff not choked and thrown a pick there, Stafford marches the team down and we lose on a third last second 50 yard FG of the season. The pick did not change the outcome, and the pick loss was actually less painful.

Outside of the trick plays I saw a lot that was promising things. It sucks they failed on the 4th and one, but I am thrilled they attempted a run on it, I probably would have wanted Williams in there over swift, but Campbell shows weekly improvement imo.
Agree. Definitely Williams should have been the call and DC is getting better but still missed that easy one. I think we will be division contenders next year with a good draft and FA (and Rodgers gone).

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Definitely Williams should have been the call and DC is getting better but still missed that easy one. I think we will be division contenders next year with a good draft and FA (and Rodgers gone).
I am not sure about next year, I don't see an elite QB and Goff is not the answer. Although with Fields, Cousins, and Love Goff fits in just about right. Still a lot of holes to fill though, more LB's, basically all of the wr's, and a bunch of DB's. A draft of Hamilton, Lloyd, and a WR would put us on the path to correct a lot of those.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure about next year, I don't see an elite QB and Goff is not the answer. Although with Fields, Cousins, and Love Goff fits in just about right. Still a lot of holes to fill though, more LB's, basically all of the wr's, and a bunch of DB's. A draft of Hamilton, Lloyd, and a WR would put us on the path to correct a lot of those.

CBs are going to be an issue. Okudah probably will never make it back and Amani is not even a good number 2. I think Jacobs will be a good number 2. We need a number 1 and let Amani and Okudah be backups. We need another TE as well as 2 WRs. We will draft a decent WR is my guess and hopefully get one in FA. Same for LBs.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBs are going to be an issue. Okudah probably will never make it back and Amani is not even a good number 2. I think Jacobs will be a good number 2. We need a number 1 and let Amani and Okudah be backups. We need another TE as well as 2 WRs. We will draft a decent WR is my guess and hopefully get one in FA. Same for LBs.
Parker looks like he might stick in the slot as well. How crazy would it be to have 2 long time starters come from UDFA in year 1 of the new regime?

If Walker keeps playing like this, and I think he will this is closer to what we saw before Patricia moved him into the box, and we add Hamilton that will help a lot in the coverage and allow CB's to excel in the future.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we give Romeo an injury settlement and then resign him for a lot less?

We could but it would be a dirty move on Holmes and company's part and the cost would be more than his cap hit for 2022.

Romeo is ranked 25th in annual average per year pay - 12.33 M - as an edge rusher.
He's 1 of 5 in that top 25 that are currently 26 years old.
You ride the wave with him next year and see if he's able to return as good as he was prior to the injury. If he's not on track for a full recovery and has completely lost his explosion then you cut bait with him as well, but not until 2023.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff had a chance to win this and choked.

Having Hock and rookie TE Wright within 5 yards of each each other was a bad play call. Three defenders right there and one each on the hip of Hock and Wright with Taylor Rapp as the free DB to compress either of those two.

Rapp didn't even know Ramsey had intercepted and went straight to Hock to strip the ball if it had gotten into Hock's hands and Rapp still laid a blow to Hock.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff fits in just about right.

Watching that USC versus Utah game with Kedon Slovis playing dink and dunk with Drake London had me thinking London would fit perfectly for this offense. 3 yard to 5 yard quick in or quick out routes with London mostly as the X WR constantly and consistently seeing Goff doing the same plays.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amani is not even a good number

I think this is an unfair assessment of Oruwariye. He's had some bad plays but when did he have the coaching to try to excel prior to this year. Okudah was a rookie last year and Trufant being injured and pretty much lousy at outside CB didn't do him any favors.

Oruwariye should be given the opportunities this and next year to see if he can stick, but he has to improve.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jacobs will be a good number 2.

He might surprise you next year with pretty much the opportunity to start 2/3 of the total scheduled games for the year.

Yes, he's had some bad plays also but he's at least given the inclination that the game isn't too big for him.

Those couple of big plays to Chase and then Kupp, he didn't let them affect his play style afterwards.

He just might be able to work himself into a CB1 model with experience and growth development this year and next or as you stated a good CB2.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is an unfair assessment of Oruwariye. He's had some bad plays but when did he have the coaching to try to excel prior to this year. Okudah was a rookie last year and Trufant being injured and pretty much lousy at outside CB didn't do him any favors.

Oruwariye should be given the opportunities this and next year to see if he can stick, but he has to improve.
I dont know. He looks pretty confused out there. Jacobs might make a rookie mistake once in a while but he has been very impressive outside of those.