• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 5: Lions at Patriots

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like trying the field goal there, then punt. Going for it on 4th and 9 that early in the game was atrocious. You have a minimal chance of success and more than likely give a short field to a rookie QB. Analytics be damned, with the game situation and personnel, going for it is wrong.
Punting from the 34 yard line is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Close your eyes and toss that bitch to the end zone and hope for a catch or PI will still be a better call than punting. It's the 34 yard line. The most conservative coach in the world would still call you a pussy for punting from there. And with what was supposed to be one of the best offenses in the league. Plus you definitely have the worst defense in the league, so you gotta score points to win.

You guys are trying to play with 20/20 hindsight. Go through every game you can find stats from, I bet there's less than 3 punts ever from the opponents 34 yard line or closer.

If you absolutely can't stand going for it, kick a FG. But if you already know your kicker can't hit from 50+ yards in your indoor practice facility and now you're kicking into the wind, at least a pass gives you a shot. Coaching the game love you never expect he's gonna fumble the ball for a TD. Maybe you already expected an incomplete, but you can't coach a game expecting your QB to give the other team 7 points. A punt could have been blocked for a TD and you guys would be screaming "why would you punt from there anyways“. If he would have missed a FG you guys would be screaming “you know that street FA kicker could hit a 50 yard kick into swirling wind, why didn't you just go for it there. You have the leagues best offense, at some point you have to let them make a play.“

Whatever I'm done having this conversation. But this Monday morning quarterbacking is pointless.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like trying the field goal there, then punt. Going for it on 4th and 9 that early in the game was atrocious. You have a minimal chance of success and more than likely give a short field to a rookie QB. Analytics be damned, with the game situation and personnel, going for it is wrong.
I agree. I just said I didnt mind it because there is a chance of missing the pooch and only netting 10 yards on the kick. The FG would give up 8 more yards if missed so there were no great options.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punting from the 34 yard line is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Close your eyes and toss that bitch to the end zone and hope for a catch or PI will still be a better call than punting. It's the 34 yard line. The most conservative coach in the world would still call you a pussy for punting from there. And with what was supposed to be one of the best offenses in the league. Plus you definitely have the worst defense in the league, so you gotta score points to win.

You guys are trying to play with 20/20 hindsight. Go through every game you can find stats from, I bet there's less than 3 punts ever from the opponents 34 yard line or closer.

If you absolutely can't stand going for it, kick a FG. But if you already know your kicker can't hit from 50+ yards in your indoor practice facility and now you're kicking into the wind, at least a pass gives you a shot. Coaching the game love you never expect he's gonna fumble the ball for a TD. Maybe you already expected an incomplete, but you can't coach a game expecting your QB to give the other team 7 points. A punt could have been blocked for a TD and you guys would be screaming "why would you punt from there anyways“. If he would have missed a FG you guys would be screaming “you know that street FA kicker could hit a 50 yard kick into swirling wind, why didn't you just go for it there. You have the leagues best offense, at some point you have to let them make a play.“

Whatever I'm done having this conversation. But this Monday morning quarterbacking is pointless.

Damn, I don't think Jim Caldwell would seriously call us pussies as he was one hell of a conservative coach.
It's not hindsight or Monday morning Quarterbacking.

Btw, there's been plenty of times in the history of the NFL where teams have punted from an opponent's 37–40-yard line and I mention the 37-yard line because we were at the 32 and then you take a delay of game penalty.

You are playing 20-20 hindsight by noting just close your eyes and heave the ball to the end zone

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going for it on 4th and 9 is the worst possible decision. I expected them to go for a FG. If the winds were as bad as some claim, then you punt (probably take the delay of game penalty). Punting would not be my first choice, but I could understand it. Going for it is stupid, and I thought that as they were lining up for it. It's not Monday morning QB if you are saying it before the play is run. There was almost no chance of success and you just give the ball back to them with a short field.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going for it on 4th and 9 is the worst possible decision. I expected them to go for a FG. If the winds were as bad as some claim, then you punt (probably take the delay of game penalty). Punting would not be my first choice, but I could understand it. Going for it is stupid, and I thought that as they were lining up for it. It's not Monday morning QB if you are saying it before the play is run. There was almost no chance of success and you just give the ball back to them with a short field.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, Campbell made clear in his press conference on Monday that the FG was out of the kicker's range. It was either go for it or punt.

If Reynolds hadn't lost 6 yards on the previous play, the FG may have been in play. But I'm not even sure about that.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now watch him turn it all around.

It's always darkest before the dawn?

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, Campbell made clear in his press conference on Monday that the FG was out of the kicker's range. It was either go for it or punt.

If Reynolds hadn't lost 6 yards on the previous play, the FG may have been in play. But I'm not even sure about that.
I had not heard that. The idea that a 49 yard field goal is out of range is frankly pretty pathetic. The wind was, what, 10-14 mph? Folk had no problem from 44.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game went exactly as expected.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lion's 2nd round picks continue to mystify most fans.

When asked if this surgery should fix the issue so that it doesn’t linger long-term, Campbell was non-committal.

“Yeah, hopefully, this certainly helps.”

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lion's 2nd round picks continue to mystify most fans.

When asked if this surgery should fix the issue so that it doesn’t linger long-term, Campbell was non-committal.

“Yeah, hopefully, this certainly helps.”
When 80% of the picks have medical red flags you can't be shocked when a few don't work out.