• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Primer! Volch, Fayne, Larsson, Marty, CBJB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything on Brodeur? I have a feeling that his only chance will come once the season starts and some team needs a goalie. Kind of sad.

Saw an article on ESPN that said he might need to wait until training camp starts to get a deal. I dont think it will go that far but who knows. Not a lot of teams out there looking for a goalie like that right now. And the only teams that would arent teams that would need the publicity by bringing him in.

I think he lands in Toronto once they trade Reimer.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Minny would be a good fit, not sure if they have interest or not. I'd hate to see Marty go to Toronto, have a subpar season and get eaten alive by those animals up there. He deserves better than that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah supposedly Pitt was the only team he was close with but couldnt make the $$ work..which leads me to believe more than 50 percent of him coming back is cash related. Guess alimony is a bitch.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is he wants to start 60 games, lots of teams would love to have him as a backup/mentor to a younger guy but not as the number one

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is he wants to start 60 games, lots of teams would love to have him as a backup/mentor to a younger guy but not as the number one

Which is the one thing in all this that makes me think he MIGHT be back here. If you are just going to be a backup anyway...why not stay here?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the one thing in all this that makes me think he MIGHT be back here. If you are just going to be a backup anyway...why not stay here?

Cause it would bring too much drama with it. Cory needs to know he's the guy. And with Marty here there will always be pressure from everyone to make sure he gets his starts.

Just a shitty situation to be in and to me Lou has already moved on. And as much as I worship Marty it was the right move to not leave the door open for a potential return.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Remember the Devil fans who hoped Clemmensen would be the goalie of future back when Marty got hurt years back?
Ironic that Clemmensen will finish out his career in NJ and Marty playing elsewhere.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marty left holding the bag it looks like. I'm sure he will get picked up by a team but I doubt a contender. Shame he should've just signed a one year deal and got his 700 wins and been happy with that. Now he looks like a fool.

I'm glad clemmenson is back I liked him and only player in nhl ever from Iowa I believe. I have a thing for Iowa for some reason lol

Devs_Jets_Yanks27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lou stated he's closing in on an extension with Schneider.

From Gulitti Twitter: Repost on Fire & Ice: Devils closing in on extension with Schneider; Lamoriello hopes it's done in "very near future"

Awesome news

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From Gulitti Twitter: Repost on Fire & Ice: Devils closing in on extension with Schneider; Lamoriello hopes it's done in "very near future"

Awesome news

Nice! The sooner the better.

After the way these last two July's have gone I was waiting for the crappy news for this one. Figured Cory would suddenly have an urge to play professional the day after Marty signs elsewhere.

Good to see some good news for a change.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Awesome news

That is great news. If nothing else that is the most important thing this offseason and if he does get locked up I think it shows Lou may have learned his lesson about letting the important guys reach free agency. Zajac, possibly Schneider, Henrique was locked up long term. This is awesome news.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause it would bring too much drama with it. Cory needs to know he's the guy. And with Marty here there will always be pressure from everyone to make sure he gets his starts.

Just a shitty situation to be in and to me Lou has already moved on. And as much as I worship Marty it was the right move to not leave the door open for a potential return.

Sorry, I meant from Brodeur's point of view. I agree with the Devils moving on. I just meant that from his vantage point, why not just leave the drama at the door, be a back up, get your 700th win here, and call it a day. Especially since he's not going to be a starter anywhere else. I think everyone can see that from a mile away.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I meant from Brodeur's point of view. I agree with the Devils moving on. I just meant that from his vantage point, why not just leave the drama at the door, be a back up, get your 700th win here, and call it a day. Especially since he's not going to be a starter anywhere else. I think everyone can see that from a mile away.

Ah gotcha. It would be the noble thing for him to do. I could see if there were better opportunities out there for him but there doesn't seem to be. Maybe it's a pride thing? To not be the guy anymore on a team that you've been an icon on for 20 years might not be what he wants.

If he said he would accept 10-20 starts and not give the "Cory is the number 1" garbage everytime he has a bad game, then it would he fine if he came back

I can't see him accepting that role though.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question, do you think Ryder was snakebitten last year? Is it possible (obviously it is), but do you think he can have a rebound year? I will give him this, he can rip it from some off angles and at times you don't expect it. The shot is there, was it lack of chemistry with linemates? Was it adapting to a new system? Will he be better in year 2?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I had the same thoughts. We hope that is the case. If Ryder, Brunner, even Zajac and Henrique have improved seasons, this team will only be better.
Also, remember, guys like Merrill and Gelinas have some NHL experience now and we'd like to they think start to produce more as they gain confidence.

If you look at the stats last season, Jagr was the most consistent offensive threat on team. 2nd was Elias.
Zajac and Henrique had 48 and 43 points. I am sure they are not happy with those numbers.

Adding Cammalleri will help we hope. It would be good if other guys can step it up.

Havlat is a long shot, but maybe he can resurrect his career in NJ.

Put it this way. There is a lot of room for improvement. I don't think they can get much worse.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know what happened to Ryder. It was really strange. Typically guys don't all of a sudden lose their shot. Even Rolston, who skated at about the speed of a 5 year old in his last year, was still a 20 goal scorer because his shot was still deadly.

I'll have to wait and see what the lineups are but I don't think he will rebound back to a 30 goal scorer because I think he'll lose PP time to Cammelleri. Hopefully he's still useful.

Do you guys think some added offense can be created through our Dmen now? Volch was a black hole and Fayne was never a guy to look for offense. Zid is back, Larsson and Gelinas will likely be full time players this year. Sal is the only guy left who can't contribute offensively now.

We've seen what these young guys can bring and it looks like a very promising future on the back end.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the young guys on D will certainly provide more offense, especially with a year more of experience. However, does our number 1 ranked PK take a hit with A-Train and Fayne gone? Greene will be there, Salvador if healthy will be there, can Merrill step up and log big time PK minutes? Zidlicky and Gelinas I'd prefer to not have out there, Larsson maybe?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Merrill also has some offensive game. Yes, another underachiever - Larsson. Will he finally play like a 4th overall pick?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merrill also has some offensive game. Yes, another underachiever - Larsson. Will he finally play like a 4th overall pick?

I think so. I have not seen anything out of Larsson that suggests he should have been a healthy scratch as frequently as he was. There were glimpses of what he could be when he was paired with Gelinas last year. I have a lot of faith in Larsson assuming he's given the chance. Will he be an all world player? Probably not. Will he be a legit, everyday top 4 guy? Absolutely in my opinion.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I trust the coaching staff will keep the PK strong. DeBoer and Barr are probably the best in the business with PK. They've finished #1 twice in the past 2 years while using different PK schemes both times.