• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Primer! Volch, Fayne, Larsson, Marty, CBJB

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be shocked if we got a vet on D, nothing sexy, just an insurance guy if we move some forwards. I'd prefer to get picks/prospects for the sake of restocking the farm system and freeing up salary.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the biggest problem in the world seeing as how we came within 2 wins of the cup with little to no physicality, but this team lacks grit. Ruutu needs to be that guy for sure, outside of him? Salvador isn't the physical player he was, Clowe can be that guy for the 25 games he plays. I wouldn't mind picking up a bruiser for the blueline as bottom pairing/7th guy.

Teams will be able to park in front of our net with little to no repercussions.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Traditional fighters are totally irrelevant in the playoffs these days. I think there was one fighting major in the playoffs.

Zubrus, Zajac, Ruutu, Clowe, Bernier are all really tough players to play against physically.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traditional fighters are totally irrelevant in the playoffs these days. I think there was one fighting major in the playoffs.

Zubrus, Zajac, Ruutu, Clowe, Bernier are all really tough players to play against physically.

Not fighters, guys that can execute an open ice check or throw their weight around. Zubrus and Zajac definitely are not those guys, Bernier as well to a lesser extent. Basically Ruutu and 25 games of Clowe. Nobody on D.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
open ice checks are rare for todays nhl. chances are too if you land one your going to get called for something even if its a clean hit. the refs also side with caution and will call an elbow or something even if there isn't one.

no bruisers no big guys we need speed and skill. dump the puck in get in and get it.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
also those big tough bruising guys you want.....final 5 mins of a playoff game protecting a lead they aren't going to be out there. heck they probably wouldn't see much time in overtime either.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Salvador gets hurt (seems likely, he's breaking down), who are the 2 guys on D we're putting out there to protect a lead in the final 2 minutes or to kill off a penalty late? Greene? Who else can be trusted?

It could be a wait and see deal. Maybe Larsson or Merrill step up and become reliable in that position.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also those big tough bruising guys you want.....final 5 mins of a playoff game protecting a lead they aren't going to be out there. heck they probably wouldn't see much time in overtime either.

I don't know about that we had a bruising defensemen that was a game changer especially in the clutch moments of games. 4

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Salvador gets hurt (seems likely, he's breaking down), who are the 2 guys on D we're putting out there to protect a lead in the final 2 minutes or to kill off a penalty late? Greene? Who else can be trusted?

It could be a wait and see deal. Maybe Larsson or Merrill step up and become reliable in that position.

i would put greene out there and put larrson with him. he was drafted 4 for a reason. time to put up or shut up. i would also rotate the kids in those situations all season long. if nothing is working at the deadline make a move for a rental. only a rental not someone with a year on his contract.

#4 was in a different era and a different player all together. todays game you need a little snarl but you need hands and smarts not just force

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. I'm not suggesting we lock up or trade a significant package for a guy that looks like he's skating in wet cement. I'm just trying to see where a potential flaw in this roster exists. We'll have to see what the young guys on D bring but I think we may be lacking in the "clear the front of the net" department.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Merrill will one day be one of those final 2 minutes of game holding on to a one goal lead guys.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
open ice checks are rare for todays nhl. chances are too if you land one your going to get called for something even if its a clean hit. the refs also side with caution and will call an elbow or something even if there isn't one.

no bruisers no big guys we need speed and skill. dump the puck in get in and get it.

Exactly, when was the last time you saw a Devil line up and run a guy, we don't play that way. Half the time volch tried that he missed guys or got out of position.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Merrill has so much talent, he's always been a PP quarterback, not a shooter from the point, but if he can start to get some more offense going, damn he'll be great. Best part, Pete loves playing the kid, so he's going to get every chance.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to TG Josefson has been re-signed, believed to be 1 year deal. I like JJ, solid bottom 6 player. I wonder if it's a 2 way?

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1 year is unfortunate. Multi year contract would show that Lou and Pete actually have plans for him.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the dude sucks. hes shown us the best he can do and sadly its not much.

to say he hasn't gotten a fair shake i dont agree with that. even if that was the case then you know what you have to make the coach be questioned why hes not playing you.

i've never heard a reporter after a game ask PDB "hey coach why aren't you using JJ hes really hustling out there". hes going back to euro after this deal is over. i really really doubt any nhl team makes him an offer next year

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jagr called out PDB during the season with his usage of josefson. Josefson played very well for 2 games and then was immediately thrown to the bench for 10 or so games. Jagr seemed dumbfounded.