• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flacco signs contract extension

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know a QB that don't need quality players around him to win ????
That's why Joe renegotiated because he wants to win and is accustomed to it...It was good for both sides...
He has more wins in his first 7 seasons than anyone in history, more road playoff wins also, 6 out of 8 playoff appearances and wins in all with a SB MVP win and matched the GOAT Montana with 11 TD's 0 INT's...
Everyone knows last yr was just bad luck, it certainly don't define who we are.. except to morons...
And then to add to all of this, I think it's safe to say that Ozzie and Company's belches know more about football and evaluating players than a bias butt hurt Bronco fan that hasn't seen their team win a SB in 18 yrs and only 3 in 50+.....
Take a breather son, and enjoy your streak of luck because you probably won't see it again for another 18 yrs...

Oh and good luck with Ose-Uh-Oh behind center this yr, this outta be a good yr for Professor OS to skin him some Bronco fans....Gitty Up !!!!:deadhorse:

So his postseason success means he's among the best ever? Pleeeeeease. While he has gotten better in the postseason, he's always had a pretty good defense and pretty solid running game. He never had a defense that allowed a lot of points and he had to win shootouts. He's always had the right pieces in place so he basically just had to manage the game and not fuck it up.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's weak reasoning. QBs don't win games. Teams win games. Scoreboard.

QB's can win games but the QB is just 1 of 11 players on offense. It's a team game. And if the QB has a dominant defense a QB's job is a hell of a lot easier. Case in point, Russell Wilson and Cam Newton. Neither are HOF players but they play well within their offense and give their team a pretty good chance to win.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what I posted. Called a "fact". You think that QB play is more important than the score of a football game? Perhaps you're thinking of figure skating, where points are awarded for style. Very ignorant to claim that Denver "shouldn't have won the SB". Equally ignorant to claim that Denver "finally won something", since the Broncos have now won three league titles.

I think you got your posts mixed up or something, I'm the one saying the wins are what matters, it's cd that thinks being voted OMVP is more important than actually winning a SB....
School him up, will ya....I'm already past the old men curfew tonight....
Later Gentlemen, it's snack and Cappo time for the old professor....:D

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you miss the word "A lot" in the part you highlighted? I said that he had some good playoff games the last 2 times they have made the playoffs. He had a couple of years where he was average. And those first 2 years where he got some of his wins he was down right terrible. I mean we are talking Tebow numbers with going 4-10 with 1 interception for 34 yards type game. Yet they still won. That is why I am saying his playoff record can be deceiving. He had great teams around him those first few years that really helped in getting some of those playoff wins. Heck I would say the same thing about Brady. 2001 when they won the Super Bowl for the first time Brady had 1 touchdown pass in 3 games. They next year he didn't have a QB Rating over 77 until the Super Bowl. So while he had a good game in that Super Bowl the other 5 wins I would say Brady wasn't the greatest contributor to actually having won the games other than he was just asked to be a game manager and try not to turn the ball over. Defense and a good running game I would say were bigger contributors to them winning those first 2 Super Bowls. Now 2004 yeah I would say Brady was a huge part of why they won. Just like I would say Flacco in 2012 was a huge contributor.

That to me is why the wins/losses stat is just kind of bogus. There are games where Flacco and Brady played well and the team lost. I mean the 2011 playoffs for Brady in the Super Bowl he had a pretty good game yet they lost. Just like in 2014 Flacco had a very good game against the Patriots yet they lost.

At least for me right now when I watch Flacco play I see a pretty good QB just not a great QB. I see him though getting paid like he is a top-5 QB and so far in his career I just don't see that. You can look at wins and say different but to me I just like to look at the full picture.

You were talking something like "well playoffs isn't a good metric" or whatever. The fact is that he got really hot in one postseason and took his team to a SB title. I watched the whole thing. It wasn't some "well he's getting it done with the defense rolling" sort of thing. He made some huge plays and he was the #1 reason that they won the SB. I'm not a big fan of the guy but his 2012 postseason performance stacks up against anybody.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were talking something like "well playoffs isn't a good metric" or whatever. The fact is that he got really hot in one postseason and took his team to a SB title. I watched the whole thing. It wasn't some "well he's getting it done with the defense rolling" sort of thing. He made some huge plays and he was the #1 reason that they won the SB. I'm not a big fan of the guy but his 2012 postseason performance stacks up against anybody.

Again you are missing the word "A Lot" here. I have said plenty on this already in that his 2012 playoff was incredible. I have said his last 2 trips to the post season he has played really well. My comment was about his earlier years where he did very little to contribute to the success of the team in the playoffs. Same with Brady if you look at his games early on in his playoff career. He wasn't asked to do much because they had a great defense and a great running game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you got your posts mixed up or something, I'm the one saying the wins are what matters, it's cd that thinks being voted OMVP is more important than actually winning a SB....
School him up, will ya....I'm already past the old men curfew tonight....
Later Gentlemen, it's snack and Cappo time for the old professor....:D

My response about Manning was to yours about how Flacco has been a better QB than anything the Broncos have had since Elway. You are the one that brought this to an individual level not me. I was just pointing how homerific that statement was considering the Broncos since Elway have had a QB be the MVP of the league and do it while setting ridiculous QB records. Heck we have a QB that has only played for us for 4 years and has been to more Super Bowl's than Flacco in his time with the Ravens. So how can you sit here and say that we haven't had a QB play better than Flacco? Heck if I really wanted to I could make an argument that Jake Plummer when he played for us played better than Flacco has in his career with the Ravens.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco's numbers are updated. Moderately tradeable in 2018 and can be cut with cap savings after the 2018 season, if he really stinks up the joint. Looks like the Ravens have an out after three years. The cap hit is still a bit high, but not as bad as I initially thought.

Plus they have room to backload some guaranteed money into that final year to get cap room the next (2017) year.

Always good to see the numbers.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unsurprisingly, do anything but shower Baltimore with praise and Ravens fans come out of the woodwork to blast you. The only thing that is a surprise is that @Tgann69 didn't show up, too.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco's numbers are updated. Moderately tradeable in 2018 and can be cut with cap savings after the 2018 season, if he really stinks up the joint. Looks like the Ravens have an out after three years. The cap hit is still a bit high, but not as bad as I initially thought.

Plus they have room to backload some guaranteed money into that final year to get cap room the next (2017) year.

Always good to see the numbers.
I'm not sure what you're looking at, if Flacco is cut after 2018 it will be a dead cap hit of $28.75 million which is higher than his actual cap number for that year. Unless they do a post June 1st cut, but that's still going to cost them $12.75 million in dead money. Even if he were cut after 2019 and it was designated post June 1st, that's still an $8 million dead money hit. Unless he really sucks it up, I doubt the Ravens would be willing to take that kind of dead money hit.

As long as the cap number keeps increasing with the huge jumps we've seen the last few years they should be fine, but if the cap growth starts to slow that $26.5 million cap number in 2019 is going to look pretty ugly.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people in this thread seem to understand the dynamics of the league right now with QBs.

A couple just don't seem to get it.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My response about Manning was to yours about how Flacco has been a better QB than anything the Broncos have had since Elway. You are the one that brought this to an individual level not me. I was just pointing how homerific that statement was considering the Broncos since Elway have had a QB be the MVP of the league and do it while setting ridiculous QB records. Heck we have a QB that has only played for us for 4 years and has been to more Super Bowl's than Flacco in his time with the Ravens. So how can you sit here and say that we haven't had a QB play better than Flacco? Heck if I really wanted to I could make an argument that Jake Plummer when he played for us played better than Flacco has in his career with the Ravens.

If I were you, I'd forget about the 43-8 thrashing that proved beyond any doubt that they shouldn't have been there period......
PM was great with the Colts up until his injury, although he had already developed a reputation of best season player and a frozen pop sickle in the playoffs....
Let's think about this, his first SB was against the Chi town monsters Chicago Bears with the renowned and HOF Rex Grossman under center....Child please !!!
Saints frustrated him so bad in his second SB that he walked off the field w/o the customary congrats to his successors.....
the 3rd one with the Donkeys, 43-8 and he looked like a bumbling idiot the whole game from the first snap that went over his head.....
And the 4th one which he had a tremendous D that made it very easy to beat a greenhorn overrated qb.....
Joe has only been to 1 but he won and he is 31 while PM is 40, PM played 18 yrs, Joe 8, so he has 10 yrs to go while PM's stops here....
A little ahead of yourself there homer !!!! :rolleyes2:

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were you, I'd forget about the 43-8 thrashing that proved beyond any doubt that they shouldn't have been there period......
PM was great with the Colts up until his injury, although he had already developed a reputation of best season player and a frozen pop sickle in the playoffs....
Let's think about this, his first SB was against the Chi town monsters Chicago Bears with the renowned and HOF Rex Grossman under center....Child please !!!
Saints frustrated him so bad in his second SB that he walked off the field w/o the customary congrats to his successors.....
the 3rd one with the Donkeys, 43-8 and he looked like a bumbling idiot the whole game from the first snap that went over his head.....
And the 4th one which he had a tremendous D that made it very easy to beat a greenhorn overrated qb.....
Joe has only been to 1 but he won and he is 31 while PM is 40, PM played 18 yrs, Joe 8, so he has 10 yrs to go while PM's stops here....
So much wrong with this post. First, the fact that the Broncos lost the Super Bowl 43-8 doesn't mean they didn't belong there. They were in fact the best team from the AFC that season, so they did belong there.

Second, when Manning won his Super Bowl against the Bears, he wasn't going up against Grossman per se. Manning and Grossman never saw the field at the same time, the matchup was really more about Manning vs. the Bears defense. And in case you forgot, that Bears team had a pretty darn good defense. They only allowed 15.9 points per game and had 44 takeaways (for comparison, the fewest points allowed this season was Seattle at 17.3 and the team with the most takeaways was Carolina at 39).

Third, the snap that went over his head in the Super Bowl was a screw up by the center, not Manning.

Finally, since Manning has been in Denver, he's thrown for more touchdowns, fewer interceptions, and more yards than Flacco, not to mention his team has been to two Super Bowls to the Ravens one, and his team has more regular season wins and playoff wins. So yeah, I think it's fair to say that Manning has been a better qb than Flacco.

Look, I get that Flacco is your guy and you want to defend him. I even understand why he means so much to the Ravens after the string of bad qb's they've had to deal with before him. But let's not pretend like he's some all world qb. The guy has been amazing in the playoffs since 2012 (and his 2012 run was arguably the greatest playoff streak of all time by a qb), I'm just not sure that's enough to justify the huge contract he got from the Ravens.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So his postseason success means he's among the best ever? Pleeeeeease. While he has gotten better in the postseason, he's always had a pretty good defense and pretty solid running game. He never had a defense that allowed a lot of points and he had to win shootouts. He's always had the right pieces in place so he basically just had to manage the game and not fuck it up.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about...When Joe won SB 48 our D was at it's best that yr at #17.
Dean Pees is known for allowing a ton of yardage and stacking up in the red zone, which has resulted in more points per game than we have ever had previous to him....
He almost gave that SB away that we had a huge lead into the 4th qtr.....
That is Ravens fans biggest gripe, most hate his D because we are accustomed to top 5 D's around here and he just don't fit.....But Harbs sees it differently, and that's why they are Millionaires and we are peons acting like we know better than them.....
Joe is the one consistent bright spot on our O, and like any qb, he needs protection and playmakers to win it all....
I',ve watched every top qb have their stumbles every yr, none are exempt, PM has thrown 6 INT's in one game, Brady 4 etc etc, but that doesn't change the fact that when they were on, they were great....
Likewise with Joe.....
You have to think Ozzie and company are morons to think he's not worth what they say he is to the team, and he is considered one of the best GM's in the league....So settle back and relax, it'll all be ok...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well pretty much everything I was going to type Broncos6482 just did. Also losing 43-8 in the Super Bowl looks much better than going 5-11. Or how about the Broncos having gone to the playoffs for 5 straight seasons compared to the Ravens missing 2 of the last 3 years. I mean they have a losing record since winning the Super Bowl. The Broncos since 2013 when they went to the Super Bowl have won the division twice, the conference once, and the Super Bowl once. I mean the Broncos have done more in the past 3 years than the Ravens in the last 15 combined.

Look I said that Flacco is a decent QB. I have said he showed up in some big moments for the team. The Ravens for the most part are smart to keep him. Hard to find even an above average QB in today's NFL. I just meant signing him for a 2nd time to the largest contract in NFL history when he for sure isn't the top QB in the league and could arguably be out of the top-10 just to me makes things a bit harder for the Ravens to find consistent success. Like I said that since they signed him to the large contract they have struggled to be consistent.

Also while I understand this contract gives them some cap relief this year and next he is still taking up a huge chunk of the cap space. I mean at least last time they signed him to such a huge contract his cap hits were still pretty reasonable. This time they can't avoid the fact that his cap hits are some of the biggest in the league. I mean his lowest year is this first one at $22.55 million for a cap hit. So his best cap hit is still top-5 in the league. Can you honestly say he is deserving of top-5 money in the NFL?

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much wrong with this post. First, the fact that the Broncos lost the Super Bowl 43-8 doesn't mean they didn't belong there. They were in fact the best team from the AFC that season, so they did belong there.

Second, when Manning won his Super Bowl against the Bears, he wasn't going up against Grossman per se. Manning and Grossman never saw the field at the same time, the matchup was really more about Manning vs. the Bears defense. And in case you forgot, that Bears team had a pretty darn good defense. They only allowed 15.9 points per game and had 44 takeaways (for comparison, the fewest points allowed this season was Seattle at 17.3 and the team with the most takeaways was Carolina at 39).

Third, the snap that went over his head in the Super Bowl was a screw up by the center, not Manning.

Finally, since Manning has been in Denver, he's thrown for more touchdowns, fewer interceptions, and more yards than Flacco, not to mention his team has been to two Super Bowls to the Ravens one, and his team has more regular season wins and playoff wins. So yeah, I think it's fair to say that Manning has been a better qb than Flacco.

Look, I get that Flacco is your guy and you want to defend him. I even understand why he means so much to the Ravens after the string of bad qb's they've had to deal with before him. But let's not pretend like he's some all world qb. The guy has been amazing in the playoffs since 2012 (and his 2012 run was arguably the greatest playoff streak of all time by a qb), I'm just not sure that's enough to justify the huge contract he got from the Ravens.

You don't have to be sure, people who actually know what they are doing are very sure and they get paid more per yr to know than you'll make your whole lifetime....
Joe is a franchise qb and you could bet your right arm that Elway would love to get Flacco to run his O than Brock or broken down PM....I don't understand Bronco fans concern and criticism of Joe Flacco's contract...
That mediocre back up you guys have is about to get a huge contract that will cost you some major players off that D, you should be worried about that and not Flacco...:nono:

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well pretty much everything I was going to type Broncos6482 just did. Also losing 43-8 in the Super Bowl looks much better than going 5-11. Or how about the Broncos having gone to the playoffs for 5 straight seasons compared to the Ravens missing 2 of the last 3 years. I mean they have a losing record since winning the Super Bowl. The Broncos since 2013 when they went to the Super Bowl have won the division twice, the conference once, and the Super Bowl once. I mean the Broncos have done more in the past 3 years than the Ravens in the last 15 combined.

Look I said that Flacco is a decent QB. I have said he showed up in some big moments for the team. The Ravens for the most part are smart to keep him. Hard to find even an above average QB in today's NFL. I just meant signing him for a 2nd time to the largest contract in NFL history when he for sure isn't the top QB in the league and could arguably be out of the top-10 just to me makes things a bit harder for the Ravens to find consistent success. Like I said that since they signed him to the large contract they have struggled to be consistent.

Also while I understand this contract gives them some cap relief this year and next he is still taking up a huge chunk of the cap space. I mean at least last time they signed him to such a huge contract his cap hits were still pretty reasonable. This time they can't avoid the fact that his cap hits are some of the biggest in the league. I mean his lowest year is this first one at $22.55 million for a cap hit. So his best cap hit is still top-5 in the league. Can you honestly say he is deserving of top-5 money in the NFL?

And I answered him.....But you like to hear yourself talk so much, amuse yourself !!! :crazy:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to be sure, people who actually know what they are doing are very sure and they get paid more per yr to know than you'll make your whole lifetime....
Joe is a franchise qb and you could bet your right arm that Elway would love to get Flacco to run his O than Brock or broken down PM....I don't understand Bronco fans concern and criticism of Joe Flacco's contract...
That mediocre back up you guys have is about to get a huge contract that will cost you some major players off that D, you should be worried about that and not Flacco...:nono:

Do you think GM's and teams never make mistakes contract wise? I mean has your team been perfect when it comes to handing out huge contracts? I mean how has Lardarius Webb done since you guys gave him that huge contract? How about Dennis Pitta? Eugene Monroe is most likely going to get cut with a $6.6 million dead money hit...How did that contract work out?

QB's across the league are getting overpaid. I mean when Bradford and Cousins just this last week are getting paid $18-20 million each you know things are out of whack when it comes to the QB position.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="cdumler7, post: 8068666, member: 5773"]Do you think GM's and teams never make mistakes contract wise? I mean has your team been perfect when it comes to handing out huge contracts? I mean how has Lardarius Webb done since you guys gave him that huge contract? How about Dennis Pitta? Eugene Monroe is most likely going to get cut with a $6.6 million dead money hit...How did that contract work out?

QB's across the league are getting overpaid. I mean when Bradford and Cousins just this last week are getting paid $18-20 million each you know things are out of whack when it comes to the QB position.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure a lot less than a peon Bronco fan does.....You really are full of yourself aren't you !!
You'd be surprised how stupid you look from this angle .....

im-gonna-kill-whoever-said-you-were-adopted-cat-dog-meme_large.jpg

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="cdumler7, post: 8068666, member: 5773"]Do you think GM's and teams never make mistakes contract wise? I mean has your team been perfect when it comes to handing out huge contracts? I mean how has Lardarius Webb done since you guys gave him that huge contract? How about Dennis Pitta? Eugene Monroe is most likely going to get cut with a $6.6 million dead money hit...How did that contract work out?

QB's across the league are getting overpaid. I mean when Bradford and Cousins just this last week are getting paid $18-20 million each you know things are out of whack when it comes to the QB position.

I'm sure a lot less than a peon Bronco fan does.....You really are full of yourself aren't you !!
You'd be surprised how stupid you look from this angle .....

View attachment 94224[/QUOTE]

So no argument means result to insults...That is exactly what Tgann did before he lost it on here. I don't know what caused him to decide to just become a full time troll but I really hope you are not heading in that same direction. You and I have had decent Football conversations in the past. I would hate to see it just all of a sudden turn into you just hurling insult after insult. Not really why I come on this board.