• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flacco signs contract extension

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens Sign Joe Flacco To Contract Extension  

================

Quaterback Joe Flaccoicon-article-link.gif is going to be a Raven for a long, long time.

Flacco and the Ravens agreed to a three-year contract extension Wednesday afternoon, locking up Flacco through the 2021 season while giving the team immediate salary-cap relief.

Flacco’s salary cap hit was set to jump to $28.55 million this season after being relatively low the past three years. That would have been the third-highest figure in the NFL.

According to CBSSports.com’s Jason La Canfora, Flacco’s new deal is expected to save the Ravens roughly $6 million in cap space this season and $13 million in the next two years.

That would give Baltimore the ability to be more aggressive in free agency, including with keeping its own players, such as tackle/guard Kelechi Osemeleicon-article-link.gif.

Flacco reportedly got a $40 million signing bonus, per NFL Media's Ian Rapoport.

It’s a win-win for both sides because Flacco, who has many times stated his intensions to stay in Baltimore for the long-term, gets more years on his contact and reportedly more guaranteed money. Meanwhile, the Ravens win because they lock up a Super Bowl-winning quarterback at a more manageable price.

When the Ravens and Flacco agreed to the then record-setting six-year, $120.6 million contract in 2013, both sides knew they would be talking again after three years when his cap number spiked.

This time, Flacco was coming off a season-ending knee injury instead of a Super Bowl MVP performance. Still, the two sides were able to come to another long-term agreement less than one week after initial meetings at the NFL Scouting Combine.

“You knew this day is going to come,” Flacco said at the end of the season. “No matter what you do, there’s no way of getting around having a big cap number at some point, or a consistently big cap number.”

Flacco has been willing to work with the Ravens throughout the negotiation process, saying, “Come on, I want to win, so I want to do everything we can to get something done.”

The 31-year-old Flacco has been a winner since arriving in Baltimore in 2008 and is now entering his prime.

Over the past eight seasons, his 85 total wins (including the playoffs) is the fourth most among starting NFL quarterbacks. Flacco posted the most regular-season wins (72) by a quarterback in his first seven seasons in NFL history.

Flacco has been particularly strong in the postseason, racking up the most playoff wins (10) of any quarterback in the NFL since he entered the league. His seven playoff road wins are the most by a quarterback in NFL history.

The Super Bowl XLVII MVP’s run through the 2012 playoffs was particularly impressive, as he tied Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana as the only players with 11 touchdowns and no interceptions in the postseason.

Last year, Flacco was on pace to set a career and franchise highs in single-season passing yards before he tore his ACL and MCL in Week 11 (though he remained in the game for two more snaps to get the win). At the time, his 2,791 yards ranked sixth in the league.

Flacco’s injury ended his Ironman-like streak of 122 consecutive starts, which ranked fifth in the league.

The Ravens are putting faith in Flacco to rebound to his usual form and maybe even better. While at the NFL Scouting Combine, Head Coach John Harbaugh said Flacco has been “attacking his knee as well or better than anybody [doctors have] ever seen.”

================================

Just like Ravens fan have been saying for 3 freaking years this would happen. They save $6 mill this year and $13 million the next 2.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Flacco. He's among my 10 to 15 best QB's in the game.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hammer:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just made it official...A lot of us pointed to this year as a restructure of some type...no way would they let him play with a $28 mil CH.

Could always trade him I guess, but this extension most likely ensures that Joe retires a Raven.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFT is saying it's the league's richest contract.... will probably need to wait and see the numbers, as to how tradeable he is if he puts up a few more stinkers like last year. Without delving too deep, with the current contract & adding $66M in new money for three more years = Ravens are definitely betting he'll be a world beater from here on out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFT is saying it's the league's richest contract.... will probably need to wait and see the numbers, as to how tradeable he is if he puts up a few more stinkers like last year. Without delving too deep, with the current contract & adding $66M in new money for three more years = Ravens are definitely betting he'll be a world beater from here on out.

Yeah saw that they said that Flacco has now received 2 contracts that were tops in the NFL when they were signed. They must see something in him that I don't. Since he signed this huge contract they have made the playoffs once if I remember right where before it was 5 straight years. He needs quality players around him to win.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah saw that they said that Flacco has now received 2 contracts that were tops in the NFL when they were signed. They must see something in him that I don't. Since he signed this huge contract they have made the playoffs once if I remember right where before it was 5 straight years. He needs quality players around him to win.
They basically had no choice this time. The cap hit on his last contract became untenable, and since he wasn't likely to just give back money, they had to extend him and push their cap problems further out.

Flacco should be sending huge thank you notes to Rahim Moore and Tony Carter, because without their disastrous defense against Jacoby Jones, the Ravens lose that game in Denver and Flacco is making a lot less money now.

Reactions: DJ

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They basically had no choice this time. The cap hit on his last contract became untenable, and since he wasn't likely to just give back money, they had to extend him and push their cap problems further out.

Flacco should be sending huge thank you notes to Rahim Moore and Tony Carter, because without their disastrous defense against Jacoby Jones, the Ravens lose that game in Denver and Flacco is making a lot less money now.

Oh I agree and I understand why they needed to extend him. As with the whole Bradford signing I'm just not sure signing an average QB to top money is your best option. While I understand there is a shortage of even average QB's in this league I just don't get why teams are still so willing to go crazy paying the QB position. I mean it has been proven that rarely does a QB making top money win the Super Bowl. Even the best QB's struggle because you need quality players all over the roster to make it.

Flacco definitely is making some pretty money off a 4-game stretch 4 years ago.

Reactions: DJ

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shhhhh.png Not to loud, @Tgann69 will hear you......

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco definitely is making some pretty money off a 4-game stretch 4 years ago.

He was one game behind Peyton Manning in postseason wins coming into this past year. He is also top 10 all-time. That's a hell of a "4-game stretch".

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was one game behind Peyton Manning in postseason wins coming into this past year. He is also top 10 all-time. That's a hell of a "4-game stretch".

To me wins is the worst stat QB wise especially playoffs. I have said this before but a lot of Flacco's playoff wins had very little to do with him. I mean that would be like me saying that Manning should be MVP of the Super Bowl this past year. I mean just look at his first year in the playoffs where he got 2 of his wins. He had one game where he completed only 9 passes, had 0 touchdowns, and a QB rating below 60. The next game only 11 completions with the team winning 13-10. I would say the QB has very little to do with those 2 wins. The next year they beat NE with him going 4-10 for 34 yards and an interception...So tell me again why Flacco is this great playoff QB? Now I will say the last couple of years in the playoffs when they have made it he has done well. So I have no problem saying that he was a big part of winning games then and why I say that 4-game stretch really got him paid. I mean do you really think if that hail mary play against the Broncos falls incomplete and they lose that game that he becomes the highest paid QB in the league? I would say he would have been lucky to get top-8 money at that point.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me wins is the worst stat QB wise especially playoffs. I have said this before but a lot of Flacco's playoff wins had very little to do with him. I mean that would be like me saying that Manning should be MVP of the Super Bowl this past year. I mean just look at his first year in the playoffs where he got 2 of his wins. He had one game where he completed only 9 passes, had 0 touchdowns, and a QB rating below 60. The next game only 11 completions with the team winning 13-10. I would say the QB has very little to do with those 2 wins. The next year they beat NE with him going 4-10 for 34 yards and an interception...So tell me again why Flacco is this great playoff QB? Now I will say the last couple of years in the playoffs when they have made it he has done well. So I have no problem saying that he was a big part of winning games then and why I say that 4-game stretch really got him paid. I mean do you really think if that hail mary play against the Broncos falls incomplete and they lose that game that he becomes the highest paid QB in the league? I would say he would have been lucky to get top-8 money at that point.

He has played very well in the playoffs since 2009. I'm not going to beat him up for how he did in the playoffs as a rookie. Since you want to bring up the wins that weren't because of him, I'll also mentioned the losses that weren't because him. He has played well enough to win in two AFCCGs against the Patriots that were lost largely due to others. You have to look at both sides.

Edit: I'm now remembering that 2014 wasn't an AFCCG (though it essentially was).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has played very well in the playoffs since 2009. I'm not going to beat him up for how he did in the playoffs as a rookie. Since you want to bring up the wins that weren't because of him, I'll also mentioned the losses that weren't because him. He has played well enough to win in two AFCCGs against the Patriots that were lost largely due to others. You have to look at both sides.

I get that. I just think overpaying for a player is a quick way to continue in mediocrity especially paying an average QB top QB money. Now I do think Flacco is above average and has shown to make some big plays in big moments but like I said since he has been paid big money they have made the playoffs once. I don't think that is some crazy coincidence. The talent around him just isn't the same as those first 5 years.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just the latest example of just how poor of a job the agents for Cam Newton and Russell Wilson did last year.

I swear both of the GM's on those teams must have been running out of the room to laugh their asses off when they were negotiating those deals with those two.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. I just think overpaying for a player is a quick way to continue in mediocrity especially paying an average QB top QB money. Now I do think Flacco is above average and has shown to make some big plays in big moments but like I said since he has been paid big money they have made the playoffs once. I don't think that is some crazy coincidence. The talent around him just isn't the same as those first 5 years.

This organization wasted much more talent during the years it had Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright and a washed up Steve McNair at QB. Flacco won with R. Lewis and Reed hanging on by a thread. Think of how many more SBs this team should have gone to during Lewis' and Reed's primes. You don't go through that and then just let a franchise QB like Flacco walk.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. I just think overpaying for a player is a quick way to continue in mediocrity especially paying an average QB top QB money.

A quicker way to mediocrity is letting those QB's get away though. Really is a double edge sword.

The agent for Russell Wilson last year should have gotten closer to $30M a year than $20M. And Seattle would have paid it too. Teams with young superstar QB's like that simply don't have a choice.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute here. I had totally forgot that Flacco blew out his knee last year.

WTF were the Raven's thinking? They got a guy with a bum knee and they raked over the coals again?

Flacco has naked photos of Ozzie.