• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Time Buyer

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm considering buying a gun for home defense, not interested in a semi-automatic, looking more at a shotgun or a hand gun.

Something that my wife and I could both shoot.

Any suggestions?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 20 ga. Mossberg as my main HD gun. 18.5" barrel with adjustable Phoenix Technology stock. My wife can handle a 20 ga. recoil better than a 12 ga. and the stock helps her quite a bit too (didn't want anything she may hesitate to shoot if need be), also shortens the gun up to help in tighter, indoor situations (hallways en sech).

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm considering buying a gun for home defense, not interested in a semi-automatic, looking more at a shotgun or a hand gun.

Something that my wife and I could both shoot.

Any suggestions?
I am in the same boat and have done research and this is what I have been advised:

1. Unless you are going to go to the range regularly they do not recommend automatic pistols but revolvers since they need less training to learn to use. However regardless a safety class and practice on the range is recommended for any fire arm.

2. If you are going with a revolver there are guns that fire both 410 shells and 45 loads.
Taurus Judge
S&W Governor - This is a little more expensive but gets better reviews.

I would go with the Governor personally.

We have chosen to buy a Glock 19 9mm and my entire family is going to take a training class and I'm purchasing a membership at a local range with the requirement that all of us have to shoot at least once a month. If they do not train they will not have access to the fire arm.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 20 ga. Mossberg as my main HD gun. 18.5" barrel with adjustable Phoenix Technology stock. My wife can handle a 20 ga. recoil better than a 12 ga. and the stock helps her quite a bit too (didn't want anything she may hesitate to shoot if need be), also shortens the gun up to help in tighter, indoor situations (hallways en sech).

How do you feel about the Mossberg with a pistol grip?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in the same boat and have done research and this is what I have been advised:

1. Unless you are going to go to the range regularly they do not recommend automatic pistols but revolvers since they need less training to learn to use. However regardless a safety class and practice on the range is recommended for any fire arm.

2. If you are going with a revolver there are guns that fire both 410 shells and 45 loads.
Taurus Judge
S&W Governor - This is a little more expensive but gets better reviews.

I would go with the Governor personally.

We have chosen to buy a Glock 19 9mm and my entire family is going to take a training class and I'm purchasing a membership at a local range with the requirement that all of us have to shoot at least once a month. If they do not train they will not have access to the fire arm.

The S&W Governor looks pretty handy (no pun intended), thanks!

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you feel about the Mossberg with a pistol grip?

I'm not a huge fan of having JUST a pistol grip (especially for the wife), but I really like the butt stock/pistol grip combo. I feel I have more control with it and can keep it nice and close to my body but still have a solid base to shoot from incase any follow-up shots are required. You don't want your gun bouncing around after a shot, it can drastically affect the accuracy on any additional shots and that's extremely important considering you could have other family members inside the house too.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of having JUST a pistol grip (especially for the wife), but I really like the butt stock/pistol grip combo. I feel I have more control with it and can keep it nice and close to my body but still have a solid base to shoot from incase any follow-up shots are required. You don't want your gun bouncing around after a shot, it can drastically affect the accuracy on any additional shots and that's extremely important considering you could have other family members inside the house too.
Agree 100%.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The S&W Governor looks pretty handy (no pun intended), thanks!
If you go with that option make sure you buy 410 defensive loads and not just bird shot. See the following:

While filming the 2011 PDTV season, we were doing some experimenting with the .410 revolvers. I know there is a bunch of controversy surrounding them, but people are buying them for personal defense. That being the case, we decided to see how the loads and weapon systems can best be utilized for personal defense.

The Taurus Judge has the capabilities of shooting a .410 shotshell or .45 Colt. The Smith & Wesson Governor can shoot the .410 shotshell, 45 Colt or the .45 ACP with a moonclip. The idea behind our testing was to see the maximum effective range per load and the different load penetration depths in ballistic gel. We shot the ballistic gel at the distance we found was ideal for the particular load based on the shot spread. We looked at both Number 4 birdshot and Winchester’s PDX1 loads with “Defensive Disks.”

Both the .45 ACP and .45 Colt performed pretty standard for revolvers in range and penetration depth, but the .410 shotshells had limiting results. They still proved quite effective given certain use restraints. The Number 4 birdshot was only effective regarding spread and penetration out to 3 yards, leading me to believe it is a close contact option only. Anything beyond that range will be less reliable in penetration and there is extreme spread of the pellets well beyond a human-sized target. The Defensive Disks proved to be reliable out to at least 10 yards with reliable penetration and out to 25 yards for effective projectile spread.

We used the testing and the results to create a PDTV episode surrounding the .410 revolvers on the upcoming season of PDTV. I hope you find them informative and entertaining. Stay Safe.

Read more: .410 Revolvers - Guns & Ammo

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say a shotgun is probably your best option. You can worry less about over penetration as in bullets missing and going through your window into your neighbor's house. A long barrel will give you a better sight picture and increase accuracy (with practice) as opposed to a handgun. You'll have more ammo in a shotgun than your 6 shot revolver. And you can mount a flashlight to the barrel so you're not shooting at shadows when you get up in the middle of the night.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say a shotgun is probably your best option. You can worry less about over penetration as in bullets missing and going through your window into your neighbor's house. A long barrel will give you a better sight picture and increase accuracy (with practice) as opposed to a handgun. You'll have more ammo in a shotgun than your 6 shot revolver. And you can mount a flashlight to the barrel so you're not shooting at shadows when you get up in the middle of the night.

You could mount a flashlight on the barrel of a hand gun as well,

Handgun WeaponLights

If the OP's main intention is to protect his home & have a gun his wife would be comfortable and he 's a 1st time gun buyer, a .22 caliber handgun is probably the ideal choice.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing more intimidating to hear in a lightly to dark lit room then then the sounds of a shotgun sending a round into the chamber, nothing! Never bring a knife to a gun fight! My vote is for a shotty, mossberg 500 would be fine and inexpensive or if you have expensive taste get a Benelli Super Black Eagle II, I have heard great reviews about the Governor!

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing more intimidating to hear in a lightly to dark lit room then then the sounds of a shotgun sending a round into the chamber, nothing! Never bring a knife to a gun fight! My vote is for a shotty, mossberg 500 would be fine and inexpensive or if you have expensive taste get a Benelli Super Black Eagle II, I have heard great reviews about the Governor!

I keep one in the chamber, no need to give away your location. The first thing they hear will also be the last thing they hear at my little slice of heaven. If a person is crazy enough to break into your house when somebody is at home they may be crazy enough to come looking for what made that sound or just start shooting randomly through your house, which could be bad for anyone else that happens to be in your house at the time. IMO.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shotty is a great protection gun but things to consider. Even with a pistol grip it is a large firearm.

Consider your home. What are the entry points to the home and is any kids room in line of fire etc. Not sure how much I would wanna fire off a shell of buckshot with a chance some of the pellets miss and end up in my kids rooms.

Where is it gonna be stored?

I have multiple guns in my house and they are all in small safes. Only myself and my wife can open them. Biometric finger print readers.

For home protection I prefer a handgun. I own many. In my safes are a Glock, A S&W 1911, and another Glock in the bedroom. Quick access and easier to handle. IMO

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shotty is a great protection gun but things to consider. Even with a pistol grip it is a large firearm.

Consider your home. What are the entry points to the home and is any kids room in line of fire etc. Not sure how much I would wanna fire off a shell of buckshot with a chance some of the pellets miss and end up in my kids rooms.

Where is it gonna be stored?

I have multiple guns in my house and they are all in small safes. Only myself and my wife can open them. Biometric finger print readers.

For home protection I prefer a handgun. I own many. In my safes are a Glock, A S&W 1911, and another Glock in the bedroom. Quick access and easier to handle. IMO

I agree, last gun I would want to fire inside my home is a shotgun and such a gun becomes essentially useless if not a liability if the intruder gets close to you. Also, shotguns have a lot of kickback which I doubt would be something the OP's wife would like if she doesn't have much experience with guns. Way I see it a 1st time gun buyer is sort of like a 1st time car buyer. No need for something powerful, better to get something with control.

But at the end of the day it's really about what the OP & his wife feel comfortable with & what they could afford.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could mount a flashlight on the barrel of a hand gun as well,

Handgun WeaponLights

If the OP's main intention is to protect his home & have a gun his wife would be comfortable and he 's a 1st time gun buyer, a .22 caliber handgun is probably the ideal choice.
Gotta go with at least a .38 or 9mm for home defense the .22 is too light.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd get a basic 20 gauge or 12 gauge pump shotgun. And if you're hesitant about shooting or want one for your wife, I think the 20 gauge is actually a better choice. Much easier to handle for women and children.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a Remington 870 I bought used, and put an extension tube, and an 18.5-inch (shortest allowed by law) barrel on it, so it's more like a police/military shotgun.

Last edited by a moderator:

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go with at least a .38 or 9mm for home defense the .22 is too light.

A good friend has a Walther P22 and that is all he carries. 10 Shot mag.

If you hammer 5 22's into someone I don think they are going to continue forward is his claim. Not sure if I agree or not.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a Remington 870 I bought used, and put an extension tube, and an 18.5-inch (shortest allowed by law) barrel on it, so it's more like a police/military shotgun.

Good ole reliable. I still use my 870 for a slug gun for deer hunting. Just a wonderful all around gun.