• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Time Buyer

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go with at least a .38 or 9mm for home defense the .22 is too light.

I completely disagree with this claim. Are you trying to suggest that a .22 isn't going to put down an intruder? If you get his by a .22, a .38, or a 9mm you're going down regardless. A .22 however is a lot easier to fire than a higher caliber caliber. For a 1st time gun buyer that's just looking to protect their home a .22 would be the ideal choice.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity would you tell a first time car buyer they should buy an expensive muscle car with lots of horse & a lot of torque or would you tell them to buy something that's easy to handle? Feel the same about buying a gun , start with something easy to handle then after you get comfortable with that you go for more power.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good friend has a Walther P22 and that is all he carries. 10 Shot mag.

If you hammer 5 22's into someone I don think they are going to continue forward is his claim. Not sure if I agree or not.

I agree with his claim, you gotta be Superman to get shot 5 times with a bullet of any type and keep on moving. Even getting shot with a BB gun 5 times could be incompassitating.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity would you tell a first time car buyer they should buy an expensive muscle car with lots of horse & a lot of torque or would you tell them to buy something that's easy to handle? Feel the same about buying a gun , start with something easy to handle then after you get comfortable with that you go for more power.
that all depends. A 1st time car buyer doesn't mean they are a 1st time driver.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW OP between you & me, people who feel the need for high caliber rounds are usually compensating for other inadequacies. That's just my theory tho.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that all depends. A 1st time car buyer doesn't mean they are a 1st time driver.

I agree there but let's assume they aren't very experienced handling a car or a gun . I think you should start with something easy & work your way up. Not sure how much experience the OP & his wife have handling firearms tho. I personally can't imagine needing anything besides my .22 to defend my home unless the intruder brings an AK or something.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW OP between you & me, people who feel the need for high caliber rounds are usually compensating for other inadequacies. That's just my theory tho.
I'm not saying get a .45 a .38 can be handled easily by the majority of the population and let's be honest here a novice is going to have a tough time getting off multiple shots under threat. I just would not be comfortable recommending a .22 when a life might be on the line.

Same goes for 9mm on the above.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying get a .45 a .38 can be handled easily by the majority of the population and let's be honest here a novice is going to have a tough time getting off multiple shots under threat. I just would not be comfortable recommending a .22 when a life might be on the line.

Same goes for 9mm on the above.

Hey now, that post was between me and the OP j/k

But we have to disagree here. A novice might not be likely to get off multiple shots under a thread but they're more likely of getting off multiple shots and hitting their target with a .22 than a higher caliber gun. I think when it comes to home protection it's really about how well you can handle your gun than it is about power and range. A .22 will do the job, it's easy to control, the guns are typically cheaper, and the ammo is also cheaper. I just think it makes more sense for a beginner to start off with a .22 than with higher caliber rounds. But at the end of the day, it's really up to the OP and his wife and how comfortable they are handling firearms. Not sure how much experience they have handling firearms but if they don't have much experience a .22 is really all they need to protect their homes.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok debate over please.

OP asked for suggestions not a battle on what caliper does the most damage. The 22 is a fine round. That said I carry a Glock 19 99% of the time. I am comfortable with it. OP may not be.

My suggestion to OP is as normal. Find a buddy or a range that rents guns. Go ask questions, handle the guns and make a educated choice on what you feel comfortable with.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok debate over please.

OP asked for suggestions not a battle on what caliper does the most damage. The 22 is a fine round. That said I carry a Glock 19 99% of the time. I am comfortable with it. OP may not be.

My suggestion to OP is as normal. Find a buddy or a range that rents guns. Go ask questions, handle the guns and make a educated choice on what you feel comfortable with.
Honestly if you shoot & even miss at someone in your house, usually is enough to deter the invader from continuing forward. Unless you waited until the person was on you. In which case aim no longer matters.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok debate over please.

I agree, best bet is for the OP and his wife to try out different guns at the ranges and pick the one they feel comfortable with. It's really a personal decision, can't go by what others say. They will be the ones using the guns and different people have different preferences.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the chances are that 99.9 percent of the time, you will never need it....if you hit that 0.1 percent.....0.75 percent of the time a .22, .380, .38 and maybe 9mm, will be more than enough to fire a warning shot/get a few hits in and the person will flee the home....god forbid the 0.25 percent happens, yes, you will be mad that you didn't get a .45....just forget the .40...the .45s are smoother than the .40s

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great equalizer for the home that even the misses could use

th