• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Declined Nick Foles Trade for Browns 35th pick This Last Draft

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the eagles have Tom Brady on their bench as their backup, do they win the super bowl last year? What about Brett Favre? Mary Poppins?

Each of those questions are as relevant as yours. Are you expecting Wentz to get hurt again?

how is having a starter for another team, an old retired guy and some fictional lady the same as a guy who was actually on the roster and would have been the backup had Nick not been there? :L

But to answer the question... Yes, No, Maybe.

Nobody is EXPECTING Wentz to get hurt again, but I'm confident in Nick should it happen. I'm not confident in Nate or some other chump we could pickup off the scrap heap pile.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the eagles have Tom Brady on their bench as their backup, do they win the super bowl last year? What about Brett Favre? Mary Poppins?

Each of those questions are as relevant as yours. Are you expecting Wentz to get hurt again?

Points for correctly putting Tom Brady #2 on the depth chart behind Wentz...

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is having a starter for another team, an old retired guy and some fictional lady the same as a guy who was actually on the roster and would have been the backup had Nick not been there? :L

Nobody is EXPECTING Wentz to get hurt again, but I'm confident in Nick should it happen. I'm not confident in Nate or some other chump we could pickup off the scrap heap pile.

You’re not confident in Studfeld but were you confident in Nicky Football when Wentz went down?

Strange things can happen. That being said, I’d rather have Foles than #35. Especially considering we traded down from #32. Obviously there was not a player there that we thought we needed to have to improve the team.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does Nicky Football rank on the list of top QBs in the NFL today? Top 10? Top 5? Top 3?

You don’t trade that kind of guy for a second round pick.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think those were all planned QB carries, though.

They weren't but my point was that the offense isn't predicated on him having to run. If the line can play the way they did against the Vikings and Patriots he wont have to be dependent upon running much if at all.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't but my point was that the offense isn't predicated on him having to run. If the line can play the way they did against the Vikings and Patriots he wont have to be dependent upon running much if at all.
Very possible. I just wouldn't be banking on his knee issues not flaring back up moving forward. Holding onto Foles was smart, but they're gonna have to groom someone else for when he leaves.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last year, something happened that made you have to use your back up. You have him one more year as it stands and then he can walk for nothing. Basically, is it worth the 1 year of insurance on your QB when the cost is grabbing a young, cheap, potential starter for the next 4-5 years? I’d rather role the dice and bring in another solid player for 4-5 years than have Foles as a back up.

On another note, I think a perfect metaphor for Foles is Flacco. Flacco had a special post season, but has been woefully average otherwise. Foles had a special post season. He’s not a special player though, and the chance to sell high was this past offseason.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, something happened that made you have to use your back up. You have him one more year as it stands and then he can walk for nothing. Basically, is it worth the 1 year of insurance on your QB when the cost is grabbing a young, cheap, potential starter for the next 4-5 years? I’d rather role the dice and bring in another solid player for 4-5 years than have Foles as a back up.

On another note, I think a perfect metaphor for Foles is Flacco. Flacco had a special post season, but has been woefully average otherwise. Foles had a special post season. He’s not a special player though, and the chance to sell high was this past offseason.
With Flacco average is being kind. I'd say he's outright terrible and his contract puts him in borderline Osweiler levels of albatross. Where would the Ravens be with good QB play last year? Foles I am not convinced is good or average, but I think he has proven to be in that Andy Dalton tier where he can give you good production on a good team every now and then. People forget how good the 2015 Bengals were before Dalton went down. McCarron, of all people, should've won a playoff game. To the Eagles that may be worth a lot. To other mostly bad teams that would actually need a QB? Maybe not so much. It was always going to be tough to find Foles a place that would actually believe in him and have the talent to make use of him, imo. I know many disagree with that. The cap space trading Foles represents plus 35 is really tempting, but if the Eagles feel that strongly with Foles on their specific team, I can't totally blame them either.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very possible. I just wouldn't be banking on his knee issues not flaring back up moving forward. Holding onto Foles was smart, but they're gonna have to groom someone else for when he leaves.

Tom Brady has played a decade after tearing his ACL. And Wentz isn't a string bean like RG3, so injuries are much less of a concern. It was really a fluke on how he got injured. If it would have been a non contact I'd be more concerned.

And I have faith in Pederson. He'll find a suitable backup if/when Foles leaves.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He actually can't walk for nothing... and yes, I'll take a good backup (Super Bowl MVP) over any guy we could have had at 35.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you know anything about Wentz’s injury or his recovery? Me either. It’s hard to judge the non-trade without knowing Wentz’s status and the risk of reinjury.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know anything about Wentz’s injury or his recovery? Me either. It’s hard to judge the non-trade without knowing Wentz’s status and the risk of reinjury.

And at the time, the Eagles knew very little as well. Sure, they hope Wentz recovers 100% by week 1, but that wasn't known when this trade was offered.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady has played a decade after tearing his ACL. And Wentz isn't a string bean like RG3, so injuries are much less of a concern. It was really a fluke on how he got injured. If it would have been a non contact I'd be more concerned.

And I have faith in Pederson. He'll find a suitable backup if/when Foles leaves.
He's hardly the norm, and it should be noted his health regiment is perhaps second only to Lebron among American pro athletes. That's a huge assumption to have, especially when Wentz is wont to run far more than Brady.

Perhaps he will, but it's also not like he picked either Wentz or Foles himself.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's hardly the norm, and it should be noted his health regiment is perhaps second only to Lebron among American pro athletes. That's a huge assumption to have, especially when Wentz is wont to run far more than Brady.

Perhaps he will, but it's also not like he picked either Wentz or Foles himself.

Who picked them? Did Pederson have no input?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pederson was the reason in getting Foles to come back to Philly. And Wentz was part of his first draft as coach.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he’s higher than that? I can’t put him over Wentz. But obviously he beat Brady so maybe he’s 2nd.
I'm thinking it goes:
1 Wentz
2 Foles
3 Rodgers
4 Brady