• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DH and Health of Program

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton....since having the kid the three game package is more attractive to me, but I keep getting the full season....could save myself $150.00 lol

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton....since having the kid the three game package is more attractive to me, but I keep getting the full season....could save myself $150.00 lol

Spot on DC...I have a 18 month old and for me to buy season tickets would require asking my Mom (who already watches my daughter 2 days a week) to babysit while I go have a good time. My conscious won't allow me to do that. The 3 game package is perfect for me. The past 2 seasons they have put together a very attractive package of games. Two years ago it was K-State, OK, and BU. Last year it was TX, Okey Lite, and TT. I landed seats in section 129 and 130 for $58/ticket. Very affordable, good seats, and awesome matchups!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't overlook the economy in state when you talk season tickets. There have been a BUNCH of jobs lost in the coal fields be it miners or the spinoff jobs from those coal mines. I know of 2 personally that have left state for work that were season ticket holders that won't be at any games this year due to the distance. I don't put all of those numbers on DH, some people sure but there are most definitely other factors to consider in our situation.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avg Attendance by season

2015 54826 7 Games 8-5 record
2014 56686 6 Games 7-6 Record but we were challenging for a B12 title during the season.
2013 52910 6 Games 4-8 record
2012 56535 7 Games 7-6 record
2011 56532 7 Games 10-3 record
2010 56325 7 Games 9-4
2009 57317 7 Games 9-4
2008 58805 7 Games 9-4 coming off season where we beat Oklahoma in bowl

I see several factors. First as noted above is how well we do. people will show up to watch a winner. If we win 10 games, expect ticket sales to go up next year. Second, is the schedule. Note the pattern of higher attendance in even numbered years. In the B12 that means 5 conference games in even years with Oklahoma TCU, Baylor and KState as opposed to 4 conference games (and and FCS filler) against Texas, Tech, OK State and Iowa. Having an opener with SEC Missouri instead of an FCS team should also help boost attendance this year but only if we have a good season.

Cost is another factor. They don't make prices any cheaper these days. Instead of getting the season tickets this year, I will scalp my tickets 20 minutes before game time.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU has some of the best bandwagon fans in the country. The poor economy only seems to impact ticket sales when the team ain't so good. Give them hillbillies with 2 cents to rub together a winner, and somehow they find a couple of extra pennies.

It is a joke. Always has been a joke.

Ticket sales to college football are on a downward slide across the country. Overall ticket sales and attendance has not fallen much over the last 4 years at WVU. In the end, that is the bottom line.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm heading to Morgantown in a couple of hours. Looks like the weather is going to be perfect.

Can't wait to get this thing started...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't get me wrong I think they should have a 3 game package, but I believe they should let you package the games you want...or like the pro's put more into it..like include food and beverage...a Major Harris Bobble Head day or something! .the kids get to run the field !!..just kidding ( Sort of ) ...but make it a full day game experience like the pro's do. Instead of the marketing department taking the easy 1970's way out of telling you what 3 games you can have... Adding more bathrooms is not really not the game changer to make me want to go out and buy season tickets!

Just seems like no one in that office is very forward thinking..and I do think they need to address it . With the majority of the games on television and still thinking the can guilt fans into buying season tickets on the old adage of school spirit is naive and ridiculous! They need to try a little harder IMHO for your entertainment dollar...

For me personally I spread it out...2 Steeler's Games a year...2 WV a year..4 Pirate Games a year and 2 Penguins game a year...the worst "Game Experience" out of all of them...West Virginia Football..

The only game experience I take away is seeing some old friends at a tailgate and the game itself..

I think ..and I could be wrong ..is why they have a hard time getting students there at times..

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ran into a fellow Mountaineer at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport this past Sunday. One of my sons and I were returning to Pittsburgh from a fantasy football draft in Tennessee and this guy was heading to a fantasy football draft and was going to stay the week and go to the game tomorrow. He has season tickets and goes to every home game. He mentioned that the rising ticket prices and donations were becoming an issue.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see.....6-1 helps....I imagine Oklahoma and Baylor will be strong.

Kansas being a night game will help as well.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you heard Nehlen's comments during the game....man seems to be a HUGE Dana supporter!..DAD that just has to make you sick at your stomach!

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you heard Nehlen's comments during the game....man seems to be a HUGE Dana supporter!..DAD that just has to make you sick at your stomach!

lol...I thought the same thing. When he gave those compliments, I turned to my Dad (who is much like our "Dad" here) and said, "Huh...looks like Dandy Don is a Holgy supporter." haha My Dad cracks me up. He's still stuck in the 80's era and his biggest complaint is that we need a good FB to get those 1 or 2 yard gains :D

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to dig up the article, but we are on pace to set attendance record this year.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to dig up the article, but we are on pace to set attendance record this year.
That's fine, but until there are $1 hot dogs and $0.50 cokes, I'm with wvu_man's Dad. I'm still waiting for Levi's to cost $18.

tom55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dana has done a pretty good job since he has been here and I am not unhappy he is our head coach. Sure he makes some decisions that I question at times but I think you can say that about any coach. I think some people got spoiled when WVU had that run of playing in BCS bowl games. The teams we had during that stretch were really good but we also had the luxury of playing in the Big East which helped.

I don't understand why the Dana haters are so down on him. He has had some average years but so did Don Nehlen and a lot of other good coaches. Just look at Bryan Kelly and Mark Dantonio this year. They are having awful years and I don't think anyone doubts they are good head coaches. I can remember some years under Nehlen when WVU had subpar to average years and he is in the Hall of Fame. Everyone used to complain because Nehlen was too conservative on 3rd downs (3rd and long...run up the middle and punt). I also remember a long strecth under Nehelen when WVU couldn't win a bowl game.

I liked Bill Stewart (RIP) as a person and I think he got a raw deal in some respects but in my opinion he should never have been hired as the head coach. We all know that was an emotional hire after RichRod bailed, we beat Oklahoma and Pat White said he should be our coach right after the game ended. I think Bill Stewart was a good coach but I don't necessarily think he was the head coach "type". I loved that he was West Virginia born and bred and I don't think anyone could ever question his love and devotion for WVU Football but I do remember he looked a little lost on the sidelines at times. I don't want to talk badly about the guy but lets be honest...if any other big time program had doing a coaching search during that time would Bill Stewart have been at the top of their wishlist?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far so good for Dana and his future, all the boxes are being checked to this point. Most important one is tbd but things are shaping up nicely for him. Gotta get those 8-9+ wins and AD Lyons will likely lock him down... That is unless Dana tries to be unreasonable and expects another lopsided deal like Luck gave him before.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dana has done a pretty good job since he has been here and I am not unhappy he is our head coach. Sure he makes some decisions that I question at times but I think you can say that about any coach. I think some people got spoiled when WVU had that run of playing in BCS bowl games. The teams we had during that stretch were really good but we also had the luxury of playing in the Big East which helped.

I don't understand why the Dana haters are so down on him. He has had some average years but so did Don Nehlen and a lot of other good coaches. Just look at Bryan Kelly and Mark Dantonio this year. They are having awful years and I don't think anyone doubts they are good head coaches. I can remember some years under Nehlen when WVU had subpar to average years and he is in the Hall of Fame. Everyone used to complain because Nehlen was too conservative on 3rd downs (3rd and long...run up the middle and punt). I also remember a long strecth under Nehelen when WVU couldn't win a bowl game.

I liked Bill Stewart (RIP) as a person and I think he got a raw deal in some respects but in my opinion he should never have been hired as the head coach. We all know that was an emotional hire after RichRod bailed, we beat Oklahoma and Pat White said he should be our coach right after the game ended. I think Bill Stewart was a good coach but I don't necessarily think he was the head coach "type". I loved that he was West Virginia born and bred and I don't think anyone could ever question his love and devotion for WVU Football but I do remember he looked a little lost on the sidelines at times. I don't want to talk badly about the guy but lets be honest...if any other big time program had doing a coaching search during that time would Bill Stewart have been at the top of their wishlist?

Tom you share the views by many on here...every coach gets second guessed on games they lose and sometimes ones they win...but Dana got the job under some unusual circumstances...he was there when the conference affiliation changed ..he had to re-build the program to be able to compete in the Big12 ..How many HC in the history of college football can tell the same story...I think he has done an exceptional job..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far so good for Dana and his future, all the boxes are being checked to this point. Most important one is tbd but things are shaping up nicely for him. Gotta get those 8-9+ wins and AD Lyons will likely lock him down... That is unless Dana tries to be unreasonable and expects another lopsided deal like Luck gave him before.

Lyon's is going to scream money ball like the Pirates at the end of the day.even though the program is making 20 times more than it was in the BE...Lyon's , especially if they win at TEXAS should be announcing an extension...it would give that team a monster lift to finish this season possibly as Big12 champs and hit a tsunami of a recruiting wave.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine, but until there are $1 hot dogs and $0.50 cokes, I'm with wvu_man's Dad. I'm still waiting for Levi's to cost $18.

This seriously made me LOL! It's like you've known him for years...except he wouldn't have paid $18 for a pair of Levi's...that's way too much for a pair of jeans. He wears the $14 Lee's :pound: