• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dear Ohio State

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon and Ohio State play essentially the same offense but of course the difference is OSU pulls big, fast, strong 5 and 4 star players while Oregon pulls small, quick 4 and 3 star players for the most part. I just don't understand why this is still the case. Oregon has been a rock solid program for the better part of the last decade at least yet they still seem to be recruiting the same players they were recruiting a decade ago. The spread option first came about really to even the playing field between the haves and have nots. When you can only get 3 star or less players this O can help you stay on the field with more talented teams. But when you've been winning as long as Oregon, you should be able to get the bigger, faster, stronger players. Why is Oregon still recruiting mostly 5-10 receivers and 180 pound RBs? When Rich Rodriguez got to Michigan, I thought that with what he did with 3 star guys at West Virginia, he'd run college football with the 5 star guys he could get at Michigan. But for whatever ridiculous reasons, he still pretty much recruited the same small, quick, 3 star types that he recruited at WV. I just don't understand why a program with as much to offer as Oregon has, why they aren't getting or going after the same recruits as an Ohio State. I mean they should be recruiting the same players as USC except at the QB position IMO. I have to imagine that until they rethink this part of their style I guess you would say, they will continue to be very good but fall just short.

Ever been to Eugene? They now have the best facilities probably in college football, but it's still Eugene. It's like 100 miles from Portland, but outside of that there isn't anything resembling a big city for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever been to Eugene? They now have the best facilities probably in college football, but it's still Eugene. It's like 100 miles from Portland, but outside of that there isn't anything resembling a big city for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

So about the same distance from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham or Gainesville to Orlando? I mean isn't that a huge chunk of college towns?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So about the same distance from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham or Gainesville to Orlando? I mean isn't that a huge chunk of college towns?

We were talking about OSU. They have a dozen cities less than 500 miles away worth going to. Eugene is over 550 miles from san fran which is the closest 'big city' to their south?

Everything in the east has options for places to go in driving distance. Out west there are places that are way the fuck away from anything resembling civilization.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big difference between Eugene and the two examples you gave. Under 1.5hr drive to Orlando and Jax. Plus Horseshoe Cove, Waccasassa Bay, and some other areas. Plus it is FLORIDA!!!

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon's recruiting may be the best marketing program of all time. Pulling top notch kids to Eugene, not much easier than Pullman, WA or Corvalls, if all on a level plane. Nike/these guys could make Tulsa the next new blue blood whantabe 10 years from now with the same money, energy, and long term vision. Not a bash, but a pat on the back Uncle Phil and his team from the outside supporting the cause.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also about history. tOSU, Bama, FSU, and USC these are all well established programs with years of tradition. Oregon has only been on the radar as a cfb power for a little over a decade.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also about history. tOSU, Bama, FSU, and USC these are all well established programs with years of tradition. Oregon has only been on the radar as a cfb power for a little over a decade.

I think I kinda get your point. However, you mention 4 teams. One Oregon clobbered 2 weeks ago and one they have owned for the last half decade. Again, get what you are trying to say, just not the way you are saying it.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It comes down to talent when one side is loaded with 4 and 5 stars and the other side is loaded with 3 and 4 stars its a hard mountain to overcome.

I wouldn't put the blame on my coaches they got you in the game and it will pay dividends in the form of recruits which will get better and better the more successful you are. It takes decades to build a power house program and your coaches have done a great job shaving years off by being offensive and marketing innovators so that is something to be proud of.

It just takes time and dedication to the process. Meyer walked into a great situation as Tressel left him a lot of talent, as Saban did for Miles, but Oregon is having to build from the ground up and it takes time to do that.

Fucking Pa-lease...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference between Eugene and the two examples you gave. Under 1.5hr drive to Orlando and Jax. Plus Horseshoe Cove, Waccasassa Bay, and some other areas. Plus it is FLORIDA!!!

We're talking about North Florida here. I've never been to Oregon but anywhere in Oregon is probably better than North Florida. North Florida is such pure awesomeness that South Florida politicians are trying to get a state split on the next ballots. It's Gainesville, not Miami!!! Anyway, the point being that we're talking about college towns not cities and there are plenty of college towns away from major cities. Even more so, I was talking about Oregon's facilities and outstanding football program, not the nightlife!

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that little misdirection play outside the tackle...that OSUx kept running. The LBs get burned on that over and over. And when they're running a monster it's hard to stop even if not totally faked because the LB can't fill the hole and he has to try to make the hit from the side.

Hate that play...frustrating to an ol' strong safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ running over defenders was fun to watch