• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Search

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hokie fans severely underestimate the job. This is not the stepping stone job it once was. You are in a fertile recruitmg ground with a money making athletic department, good area to raise a family and rabid fans. You are also in a conference they will me see have an undefeated team left out of the playoff. In the weaker of two divisions.

I think that the next coach may be a bigger name than we think.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hokie fans severely underestimate the job. This is not the stepping stone job it once was. You are in a fertile recruitmg ground with a money making athletic department, good area to raise a family and rabid fans. You are also in a conference they will me see have an undefeated team left out of the playoff. In the weaker of two divisions.

I hope you are right. I agree with VT being a very attractive job for all of the reasons you listed above. I have no doubt we will get a quality coach. I guess my biggest question was what are we going to be able to pay him and his staff?? I know we will never be able to go with some sort of ridiculous Nick Saban contract, but are we in a position to pay someone 3.5-4 mill a year and have another say 3 mill for assistants?? Because that would be a Top 10 staff (wrt salary). That would be good enough to keep someone long term (assuming of course...GREAT success and opportunities abound).

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda OT -- But I read a post somewhere awhile back that I thought was pretty interesting. Said that MANY native Alabammers contribute to the football program. This is even the po folks and non-alumni who dont even have it to give. Don't know if that was a bit of an exaggeration or not.

Maybe if we go get Les Miles I'll drop a Benjamin or 2 in the jar...

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm a Les Miles fan but his development and improvement over the last few years has been ... questionable. Chad Morris as well. Honestly don't think he's proven enough to warrant a 3 million dollar head coaching contract. His offense this season is weak-sauce, considering the talent that program has. If Dabo leaves for Florida, things could get interesting there as well.

Reading the chatter on the other boards, I'm starting to really feel like this may be it for CFB. Justin on VTFF made a good point about the assistants. Bud is out of contract after this season. So is Lefty. From a buyout perspective, it's the right time to pull the plug unless they feel like Bud will coach for someone else at VT (which most believe he wouldn't). Lefty likely won't be retained. Beamer's buyout isn't earth shattering, considering the amount of money he would lose the program if he stuck around for a few more years (sad to say ... love me some Beamer ... but I really feel like this is true). Money (or lack of) talks ... and it's Babcock's responsibility as an AD to stop the bleeding. The bleeding would probably slow for 2015 and 2016 and we may even field some really good teams in the next two seasons under CFB. Can we compete for an ACC title? Considering the coaching issues this season, I have my doubts. I won't bitch if they keep him around for a bit longer. Like I've said before, he's earned it to a great degree. But I'm starting to look at things from a purely business perspective and it doesn't make much business sense to keep Frank Beamer at the helm.

The magic question is ... who could we pull in to replace him? I like some names that have been thrown around quite often .. namely McElwain, Kirby Smart, Rich Rod

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Miles is a name I just stuck in there. Insert any big time coach that we poach from a prominent big time program (which likely won't happen).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I think its a pretty darn attractive job for the reasons you listed and for one other, less pressure. We expect to be successful, but we're not wanting to fire coaches because they didn't play for the natty each year (like how hot Stoops' seat at OU gets). For that reason alone, I actually think it could be possible to snag someone like Stoops, Miles, or Richt if you can get the money in the ballpark of what the bigger ADs can. Some coaches will take a pay cut for better job security. Now I'm not saying we're likely to get any of those guys, just that its more possible than people think just for what you said, VT is an attractive job.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Whit gonna wait till after the bowl game to announce if changes will be made or could it be any day now?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a press conference this week. I assume it will involve extending Bud but he could be addressing other stuff.

Rumors on TSL are that Bud has been offered the DC job at a couple different big name schools.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Bud De-Facto Coach-in-Waiting announcement perhaps?? I would like that personally..

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer has undergone minor medical procedure &amp; more than likely will return for bowl per source.</p>&mdash; Thayer Evans (@ThayerEvansSI) <a href="">December 6, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Story on Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer undergoing minor medical procedure. Likely OK 4 bowl &amp; will be back next year. <a href="http://t.co/XVThLFE7XZ">http://t.co/XVThLFE7XZ</a></p>&mdash; Thayer Evans (@ThayerEvansSI) <a href="">December 6, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="">December 6, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“good health, a good quarterback and a good kicker”

Not sure Beamer has any of the three now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Bud De-Facto Coach-in-Waiting announcement perhaps?? I would like that personally..

I like Bud, but only as a DC. I don't think he is the face of a program type guy. I see him as Bo Pelini. Fierce competitor, could recruit decently, but would never do anything better than average. I won't compare it to the Muschamp situation because I don't think he can create the recruiting success Florida can, and I think he would be able to field a better overall team. That's just my personal opinion after talking about it to people this football season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“good health, a good quarterback and a good kicker”

Not sure Beamer has any of the three now.

I remember that quote, and you may be right now HoHum. Kicker has been lacking for a bit, QB situation has been rocky. I heard that the surgery was a scheduled thing, but who knows. I'm ready to hear where we are bowling. I'll be back in VA and willing to travel a small amount.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
apparently David Cutcliffe turned down the Michigan job. I love that.

If we could pull him away, he would be in my top 3 of HC candidates. He's an offensive genius and is cut from the same cloth as Frank Beamer if you have ask me. Respected, loyal, runs a clean program and could possibly be one of the few candidates that could keep Bud Foster around.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1 totally agree on that sparko.

I know some want a young face who can burn it up but I am all about someone who can get it done like Cut and get them done the right way and stay at a program.

Could you imagine the possibilities with Cut and Foster calling plays on either side of the ball? Oh my...

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bud Foster on if he's had any contact with other schools about jobs: &quot;Nope, not right now.&quot; <a href="">December 17, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read on thekeyplay that there's a big deal in the works to retain Bud and pay him well.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:hope:<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>