• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Search

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries & Contracts

A think the bottom line is defenses can no longer carry a football team. Bud is still a great coach, but VT need a big time offensive minded hire to be successful moving forward.

A current successful, but inexperienced, HC or a highly touted coordinator probably would get no more than $2.0M in an initial contract as VT's HC. An experienced HC would probably only get $2.5M, so would any of these coaches essentially make a lateral move to become VT's coach? I am not sure VT would ever be able to pay more than $3M for a HC unless they expanded the stadium and resumed sellouts....which ain't happening. How the heck are guys like Paul Johnson and Dana Holgorsen getting close to $3M....better question is why? Helfrich only makes $2M at Oregon????

So who are we looking at fellas? Has to be someone no older than 55 right?...or younger? I really don't see any current HC's who would be a splash hire that VT could afford to get. I don't envision any current coaches west of the Mississippi River as serious contenders, but you never know.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best part of that list has gotta be Mike London being 5 years old right?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Wilder? :D

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't they just extend Beamer's contract? How does that play into things?

Do you think Beamer is just going to go gently into the good night?

Seems a shame if London outlasts Beamer, as Beamer is the better coach, but it could potentially go that way if the season continues along the current trajectory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems a shame if London outlasts Beamer, as Beamer is the better coach, but it could potentially go that way if the season continues along the current trajectory.

The extension probably had more to do with recruiting than anything (he'll supposedly be here when they graduate), but I really feel that Beamer wants to coach another couple years and retire after next year or the year after. Which I think was his plan with the young talent giving him one last shot at a NC, but with the way this season's gone, it wouldn't surprise me if he steps down sooner.

I think Whit would give him at least one more year to make some noise before he gives him the "it's time to retire" speech due to the talent that is on the team right now.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

London will no way be in Charlottesville for 20+ more years

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what does Beamer always say? "as long as I've got my health, a good qb and a good kicker, i'll keep coaching" or something like that.

well, he's got his health...tough call on the kicker since we arent even getting into FG range

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what does Beamer always say? "as long as I've got my health, a good qb and a good kicker, i'll keep coaching" or something like that.

well, he's got his health...tough call on the kicker since we arent even getting into FG range

noticed you sidestepped the part about "a good qb". ;)

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am done entertaining the '2015 is going to be the year' BS. 2016 may not be better either. I get there are some young guys on the team, but we (should) have a new QB next season, an unproven OL, and the same lackluster coaching staff/mentality.

I don't think it's worth giving Frank the benefit of the doubt on these next two years bc we get caught up in our dilusions of grandure and CFBs coach speak, at the risk of the program being drilled further into the ground. We're not an improving team, Frank. And I don't care what you say, no one 'gave good effort.'

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i first posted in jest...but the more i think about it, why not. If/when Beamer goes...would it be worth going after Wilder?

He doesnt have any big school HC experience, but to find a guy that does, he will have gotten fired for some reason from his previous gig, cause we're not luring big name coaches away from their current job with $$.

He has done a pretty incredible job with ODU, starting the team from nothing, being an instant competitor in FCS, to now playing in the CUSA in a matter of what, 4, 5 years? Yeah they arent doing as hot this year, but i dont think anyone expected them to come in and dominate (they did knock off last years champ). He's got obvious ties to the 757...

what say you? lets start a rumor

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what say you? lets start a rumor

I say Beamer has four years left on his contract, and I don't see VT parting with that kind of money to get rid of him.

So if he can manage to win two more games this year, I think his job is safe if he wants to keep it.

Loeffler, on the other hand, better be trying to figure out how to win some games, and he can't assume the defense is infallible.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Beamer has four years left on his contract, and I don't see VT parting with that kind of money to get rid of him.

So if he can manage to win two more games this year, I think his job is safe if he wants to keep it.

Loeffler, on the other hand, better be trying to figure out how to win some games, and he can't assume the defense is infallible.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I think Loeffler just needs to go. He has not put the QB in his comfort zone and in a great position to succeed. I feel like a broken record here, but the play calling has been uninspired and just all over the damn place. You can put blame on the QB, the OL, but ultimately it's on him. Unless he can make some major strides the next month or so and we go at least 3-1 with some good offensive output, I see no way he can or should survive this.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think VT has enough clout to pull a big name in case that is the case after this year. After the Buzz hire, I feel like Whit (given the right amount of $$$ to work with) could surprise us yet again with a big hire. Are we gonna pull Freeze or Mullen from the SEC?? Probably not. But I feel we can do better than someone like Wilder (no offense 757).

Maybe I naive and have Super VT homer glasses on. But there are many reasons to want to come to a VT.
A rabid SEC-like fan base, great facilities and getting even better, a Top 10 state/recruiting hotbed, (not sure if this is a good thing) play in a conference and division that in most years is very winnable...what am. I missing here?? Oh yeah, throw in a lot of money and you can get a big time coach.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a super scenario that will never happen but I'm bored so fuck it. 49ers fire Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh loves a challenge and college football so Whit throws the bank at him. Yeah, he's an asshole but a damn good coach. The program is immediately turned around and Harbaugh leaves after 5 years cuz that's what he does, but just like at Stanford, his infrastructure mostly stays in place and his replacement (either the OC or DC) keeps things humming along. So get that ridiculous scenario trending, #HarbaughisaHokie

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chip Kelly .. Seems like he is open to coming back to CFB (with the recent Articles about Florida going after him). That would be awesome and I bet he could keep Bud. We'd be contending for the big one within 4/5 years.

Chad Morris .. The lack of HC experience concerns me some but everyone came from somewhere and some came up fast from the high school ranks and ate very successful (freeze malzahn).

Tomlin's name had come up .. Part of me thinks it could work but no college experience is kind of a big deal. Don't think this ever happens though

Hudspeth ... Need to read up on him

Steve Addazio ... Like that dude and the way he goes about his business ... A lot

The coach that is at Colorado state now ... Seems to be making waves and I think would be a good hire

Pep .. Think it could be a good hire but we would just be a stepping stone for him unfortunately.. Maybe if be wrong

Cutcliffe would also be a decent hire

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're 2 seasons from wanting Pep Hamilton as an OC. Not sure what he's done in that time to prove that he's now HC material and can recruit in the manner we need.

No doubt he's done great things at Duke, but I think we need someone younger than Cutcliffe.

I also agree we can afford to be looking for a bigger name than ODU. I don't think that's necessarily Whit's MO. I think he'd make a hire that would turn some heads nationwide, much like hiring Buzz. Heck, even hiring Tommy Tubberville was pretty significant for Cincinnati after losing Brian Kelly

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're 2 seasons from wanting Pep Hamilton as an OC. Not sure what he's done in that time to prove that he's now HC material and can recruit in the manner we need.
Pep did struggle his first season as an NFL OC, as Indy finished 15th in total offense in 2013. This year, Indy is 1st in total offense, avg of 452 yds per game, and 30.9 ppg, which is 2nd in the league.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pep did struggle his first season as an NFL OC, as Indy finished 15th in total offense in 2013. This year, Indy is 1st in total offense, avg of 452 yds per game, and 30.9 ppg, which is 2nd in the league.

We're currently working with opposite of Andrew Luck.

Seriously though, I don't doubt his talent as an OC. He would have been a good hire when we took SL. Just not sure how that will translate to running the show as an HC