• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Search

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some dysfunction which is to be expected in a locker room that is used to winning and is all of the sudden struggling to become bowl eligible. However (and I am no insider, I just know people who are that I trust dearly) what was said in those tweets was in some cases flat wrong and disrespectful to the people in them, in some cases heavily exaggerated and in some cases correct.

However, it takes a real insecure asshat to air the dirty laundry of a struggling group of student athletes with the ease and excitement that that ADULT just did. I find it pretty fucking disgusting, honestly, but he clearly needed an ego boost or something.

So which part of it is true? and which false/exaggerated? Better to lay the facts on the table before more rumors get spread.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some dysfunction which is to be expected in a locker room that is used to winning and is all of the sudden struggling to become bowl eligible. However (and I am no insider, I just know people who are that I trust dearly) what was said in those tweets was in some cases flat wrong and disrespectful to the people in them, in some cases heavily exaggerated and in some cases correct.

However, it takes a real insecure asshat to air the dirty laundry of a struggling group of student athletes with the ease and excitement that that ADULT just did. I find it pretty fucking disgusting, honestly, but he clearly needed an ego boost or something.

Most of those reflect the dirty laundry of the coaching staff more so than the players. The stuff about Stanford is in the players group but the stuff about the coaches walking out or not going to the locker room would be fair game because they are paid to be in that locker room to try and improve things. That would be assuming the stuff is true and is in fact dirty laundry and not just spewed BS which as of right now, you seem to be the holder of which is which.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which part of it is true? and which false/exaggerated? Better to lay the facts on the table before more rumors get spread.

My second paragraph overrides my first. None of this should be out there, IMO, and I am not going to add to it. I will talk about the coaches overall IMO, but I am not going to name names on players or talk about what happens in the locker room if I am lucky enough to find out.

It might be fair gsme, but not my game.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not the holder of which is which. I know some insiders who I trust more that this guy. I also think it is TMZesque to drunkenly twitter rant. That same dude drunkenly wished Kendall Fuller luck at Clemson the night before his announcement. He needs to probably address his drinking, IMO.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know what is true and not?

Knowing how the coaches treat our players should be transparent. Walking out on or not going in at half time is giving up on the players in my eyes and that is unacceptable. Hold onto the information about players but how members of our staff handle situations represents a lot more than a frustrating season and should not be hidden.

If these are just drunken rants and you are able to dismiss them (not just distrust them), then the logical thing would be to squash these rumors before they get bigger.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No coaches dodged halftime. That's one if the more ludicrous things he said.

Good to know because that seemed really ridiculous and would have to be a fireable offense if it were true.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim McElwain - Colorado State

This guy has lifted Colorado State from the dead....4-8 to 8-6 to 10-1 in three seasons. He was OC/QB coach at Alabama from 2008-2011 and you know what Alabama did during that time frame. Colorado State with a top 10 offense this year.

He is a little older than I'd like to bring in as a new coach, but I'd be all over this guy if I were Whit. He seems like one of the more realistic options with a proven track record in recent years. I could even see him coming in and keeping our defensive staff as is. And I am sure he knows how to recruit having come from Bama. VT could easily give him a million dollar raise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen McElwain's name thrown around alot the last few days. A great option, but I disagree with you in saying he is a very realistic option Hohum.

He is a popular commodity/hot name right now. Programs like Florida, Michigan, etc. will take a long hard look at him. VT probably couldnt match what they are going to offer, even if the boosters dig deep into their pockets.

All this assuming that Frank just straight up walks away at the end of this season. I still dont think that will happen. We will see soon enough.

I have seen some laughable threads on other boards making JM some sort of CIW for the next couple of years. Like he is going to look at that shiny new mustang in the garage, only to hear...you cant drive it for a couple of years. Or...hey, here are the keys to a shiny new ferrari...wear it out buddy!

IF CFB steps down, I certainly hope he is considered and all avenues are explored. He would be a good get.

I think VT would be a very attractive job for a number of reasons. But I think expectations should also be tempered. It is not (nor never will be) a SEC job, or ND, Michigan, tOSU, etc. etc. I know Babcock has started off nicely with the BuzzW hire. Maybe he would surprise us all again???

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen McElwain's name thrown around alot the last few days. A great option, but I disagree with you in saying he is a very realistic option Hohum.

He is a popular commodity/hot name right now. Programs like Florida, Michigan, etc. will take a long hard look at him. VT probably couldnt match what they are going to offer, even if the boosters dig deep into their pockets.

All this assuming that Frank just straight up walks away at the end of this season. I still dont think that will happen. We will see soon enough.

I have seen some laughable threads on other boards making JM some sort of CIW for the next couple of years. Like he is going to look at that shiny new mustang in the garage, only to hear...you cant drive it for a couple of years. Or...hey, here are the keys to a shiny new ferrari...wear it out buddy!

IF CFB steps down, I certainly hope he is considered and all avenues are explored. He would be a good get.

I think VT would be a very attractive job for a number of reasons. But I think expectations should also be tempered. It is not (nor never will be) a SEC job, or ND, Michigan, tOSU, etc. etc. I know Babcock has started off nicely with the BuzzW hire. Maybe he would surprise us all again???

Yeah, obviously Michigan and Florida get first dibs and one of them will likely get McElwain, but if not, I think VT would be next in line. I was assuming Florida and Michigan are going after bigger fish.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, obviously Michigan and Florida get first dibs and one of them will likely get McElwain, but if not, I think VT would be next in line. I was assuming Florida and Michigan are going after bigger fish.

Possibly. But I'm not sure who would be bigger than McElwain?? I'm not sure if Harbaugh will entertain coming back? Will Miles be in the mix at Michigan? Mullen at Florida?? There are a few other names floating around.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't look through the thread to see if it had already been mentioned, but WSLS is reporting that Shane interviewed for the HC at Troy.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't look through the thread to see if it had already been mentioned, but WSLS is reporting that Shane interviewed for the HC at Troy.

Good for him. A lot of people have been calling for him to be replaced (I tend to agree based on the RB rotation, though I don't know if that's his say or SL's) but if he can get a HC job somewhere, sounds like a win-win for everyone involved.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Morris to SMU for $3M per year. Wonder how much of a wrinkle this puts in Whit's plans?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Beams will be leaving after this season. Loeffler... that's a different story. He may be gone as soon as Monday depending on how tonight goes.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Beams will be leaving after this season. Loeffler... that's a different story. He may be gone as soon as Monday depending on how tonight goes.

Problem with that is finding a decent OC willing to come with Beamer still here. Would have to be someone like Morris looking for the inside track to be the next HC. And Morris is now off the table.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems to me that Whit could work with Beamer so that his successor is found before he leaves. Beamer's retirement could be timed with finding the right guy before he leaves.

If anybody could do that, it might be Beamer. Beamer is such an optimist, though, that I'm guessing he always sees that next year's team is going to be an improvement, and it's probably going to be really difficult to let go.

Chad Morris would have been perfect, but that ship has sailed.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Morris is going back home to Texas, is going to be paid more than Beamer is and as much as VT would probably offer. It's a no brainer for him and if he can right the ship at SMU he will set himself up nicely for an upgrade in a couple of years. Probably Texas, Oklahoma, A & M (his alma mater), or another Big 12 school. The Southwest is where his roots are at and this is the best way for him to get back there. Good for him.

Which brings another topic of conversation. Depending on who succeeds Beams, will it be a "stepping stone" type of situation?? Is that what we want or is a possible temporary return to glory (at the cost of losing said coach to another situation with deeper pockets) good enough to suffice the fan base?? I guess if said coach would turn VT around enough to warrant a large $EC contract then he would still leave the program in a very attractive place for the next man up.