• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching moves

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some think that Justin Frye is on the list and wouldn't be a bad hire. He's coached under Addazio (and played for him) so it may be hard to pull him away from BC. He was the OL coach at Temple in 2010 when Loeffler was there. He was a GA for the OL at Florida (under Addazio) when Loeffler was there. Looks like it would be a decent hire.

Justin Frye Bio - Boston College Official Athletic Site

Todd Washington and Loeffler have a "loose" connection too. Andy Moeller, the Ravens OL coach, was the OL coach at Michigan from 2002-2007, the same time that Lefty was their QB coach.

Other than that, I've heard Chris Malone -- which I don't expect to happen.

I expect it to be a good hire, with Loeffler having a lot of input.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea of Stiney coaching the OL isnt a bad one but I would rather bring in another good recruiter instead of filling that gap with stiney. Grimes was able to go out and get his OL. We need someone who can follow that mold.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with alot of what you have said, but I agree with alot of what 46 said too. To think we can't get someone who is at least Grimes' equal is a bit premature. Let's see who CFB interviews and comes up with.

Perhaps because I think 46 and I largely agree. :) Probably the same goes for me and you... I didn't say we can't get someone who is Grimes's equal or better. We certainly can, and I'm hoping we will. I think we'll get a good hire here, I really do. But I'd be lying if I said I EXPECT an upgrade. We'll see.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving bryan stinespring to OL coach would be the most CFB move ever.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bob Bostad has been mentioned, probably only because he's available. That would. Be a great hire. In my opinion

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Overly safe. Going with what he knows, making sure not to ruffle any feathers. Buddy system. Pleasing his inner-circle before considering the long term success of the team, etc.

Just curious, would you consider BS as OL coach an adequate hire? Surely you can't think of it as an upgrade. Also consider he would still have 'Recruiting Coordinator' responsibilities.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, would you consider BS as OL coach an adequate hire?

Hell no. I don't. I think he did well enough back in the 2000's..certainly had better success than Newsome, but I definitely think it would be a major step back. A move like that could justify the paycjeck that he is receiving. TE coach and recruiting coordinator = 300k+ . Gimme a break.

I really don't know how much CBS knows about the fundamentals of being an OL..but we need someone who has either coached the position recently and over a certain period of time (no hot shot up and comers with 2 or 3 years experience) OR better yet, someone who has coached AND played the position.

I don't think it will be Stiney, he has a place on this staff (RC) and is doing a damned good job there. I doubt it would be Malone either. I think VT can do much better than both of those options...

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know y'all are pissed, and I would be too, but you can't blame the man for wanting to be closer to home. The farthest he ever got away from home before the VT job was Boise State, and you see how long he stayed there. Now, he can jump on a plane and be home in just about 1 hour.

Oh I'm not mad at all. I completely understand it. Closer to family, more money, more fertile recruiting grounds, the SEC bump, and a team with a good OLine foundation already established.....i don't blame him at all for going. I was just pointing out that people shouldn't have ever expected him to be around for 20+ years like some others on the coaching staff. I had hoped VT would get 3-4 good years out of him to build our "foundation" up before, hopefully, upgrading from a better actual coaching standpoint, but it is what it is. As long as Beamer makes a good hire from here i'm not shedding a tear.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overly safe. Going with what he knows, making sure not to ruffle any feathers. Buddy system. Pleasing his inner-circle before considering the long term success of the team, etc.

Just curious, would you consider BS as OL coach an adequate hire? Surely you can't think of it as an upgrade. Also consider he would still have 'Recruiting Coordinator' responsibilities.

It would depend. If it meant getting Shane to RC and bringing in a top notch young RB coach, yes. I didn't think BS was a bad position coach. The replacement on the staff will dictate the move more than the potential shuffling of roles.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens when Pep Hamilton becomes the next coach at Vandy and takes Moorehead from us?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens when Pep Hamilton becomes the next coach at Vandy and takes Moorehead from us?

We deal with it by finding a replacement like dozens of schools do every season. It says something when your assistants are wanted. I agree with hokiegrad though that Pep to VANDY likely won't happen.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
love this:

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on what Bob Bostad's (former Wisconsin OL coach) status is since he got released from Tampa Bay? I am sure he's another journey man, but he's certainly worth a phone call.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Mason will be the next coach at Vandy.

Looks like he has already raided several coaches from Ohio University (including OL and QB/co OC) . The WR Coach has not been filled yet so let's hope he doesn't come after AM. Not sure if Moorehead would take a lateral move to Vanderbilt anyhow. I would say he has better job security with VT. But then again...$$$ talks.