• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching moves

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People in Blacksburg are going to truly miss BS when he leaves. He would be my pick to be the next head coach if we stated in house. He is not a great coordinator but a hell of a guy and great face for a program. He is a scapegoat but a huge asset for Virginia Tech.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I've long thought he has many head coach qualities.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely see him as a HC. If he's not going to get the chance at VT (which I would still favor but probably not happening) I'd wish him the best elsewhere.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sold. but I could be swayed, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if he takes this JMU gig for a couple years, that way when Beamer does retire, he's had some HC experience, we would know if he has it, and could make him an offer then if so desired

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't understand why some of you have jumped on the Stiney HC thing. It was the contrarian successor scenario in the early 2000s when he was promoted to OC. It got repeated too many times, that other fans started picking it up. Stiney has done very little to show he's a qualified head coach at our level.

He was ineffective at his OC duties, overrated as a recruiter, has never been a PR face of this program, nor has he ever had any sort of individual or program defining identity, and I've never seen him at any fundraising events I've been. He's never shown the attributes of a qualified CEO, he's not a play calling expert, he's not a big program promoter, and IMO not much a motivator. No one at our level would hire him as head coach. He is a good position coach, very nice guy, and he continues to be a loyal, trusted, and consistent piece in the program's overall system. That's not to say he can't be a good HC, just IMO that he won't do it in Blacksburg.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
FWIW, I think JMU and Stinespring could be a good situation for all parties. Certainly its a situation where he could prove his qualities not highlighted at Tech but mentioned in my post above. I will always wish him the best here or elsewhere.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:eek:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one at our level would hire him as head coach. He is a good position coach, very nice guy, and he continues to be a loyal, trusted, and consistent piece in the program's overall system. That's not to say he can't be a good HC, just IMO that he won't do it in Blacksburg.

I agree. Stiney over Foster??? Screw that. I don't know much about the BF situation at VT, but it is unfortunate that many don't consider him a realistic successor to Beamer (and maybe rightly so). I guess being a fucking suck-ass to big donors and saying all the right things to the right people is more important than coaching the damned games or your product on the field. I always thought it was pitiful, yet funny, when Bobby Bowden would be doing a sideline interview on TV(in his cool southern drawl), while the game was going on behind him.

Stiney has a place here at VT, maybe even forever. But I hope it is never as a HC.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Foster to UCONN.. I really hope not. Bud is due his $800k kicker at the end of next season, making next year close to about a $$1.5 million payday counting potential bonuses. Unless UCONN could at least match this (which I seriously doubt it)...he may not even interview for it.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The odds of BF leaving for Uconn are slim to none in my opinion. A dumpster fire of a program. Things there are getting worse by the minute. No way I see that happening.

Stinespring to JMU? Possible I suppose and I'm not sold either in his abilities as a head coach. Would love for him to prove me wrong.

Some say Shane will never leave. I think he'll leave at some point fairly soon (when his dad retires), to climb the ladder. He won't be able to just climb into VT's head coaching gig without leaving I think. The next head ball coach, especially if he's an outsider, won't want to deal with the stigma of having a "Beamer" on staff.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Foster a better coordinator than Stiney? Absolutely. Without question. Not even close. But being a great coordinator doesn't make you even a good HC, nor is it a prerequisite.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Bud and think Frank should give him at least half his annual salary for the past decade as Bud is the program at this point. Bud impressed me when I attended the Chalk Talk last March in Richmond. Until then, I never saw him as head coach material but he looked like he could pull off the glad-handing that is required. Still, UConn is a wasteland of a program at this juncture.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Foster a better coordinator than Stiney? Absolutely. Without question. Not even close. But being a great coordinator doesn't make you even a good HC, nor is it a prerequisite.

Being a good or great coordinator at least shows you know football and knows what it takes to have your unit (offense or defense) be successful. It shows you are a motivator.

I agree, being a great coordinator does not necessarily mean you will be a great HC. But IMHO, being a shitty coordinator (CBS) eliminates you from being in HC consideration. Just my take.

I want someone who is a motivator, expects nothing less than perfection, and works his ass off (and everyone else's) to be #1. See Nick Sabin.

You have to play the politics game somewhat I am sure. But if you win big games consistently, put a great product on the field, and are in the NC conversation most every year, then the seats will always be full, the politics and $$$ will take care of itself.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone pick up on the game telecast yesterday (from the commentators) about Bud turning away Kevin Sumlin (aTm) this past offseason?? He said Beamer didn't even know that he was being courted by Sumlin until after the fact. Did I miss something..didn't anyone else hear about this?? Maybe I did and forgot in my old age.... I thought it was interesting.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a D1 head coaching job is not a lateral move. And Bud's getting no younger. I can't imagine the head coach interview offers are flooding his agent's phone line. If he wants to be able to run his own program, he shouldn't keep waiting for something "better"

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a D1 head coaching job is not a lateral move. And Bud's getting no younger. I can't imagine the head coach interview offers are flooding his agent's phone line. If he wants to be able to run his own program, he shouldn't keep waiting for something "better"

Hasn't Bud has also stated in the past that he would only entertain a HC job at a BCS school?

I have also been hearing rumors about Torrian Gray being contacted about some DC jobs. That worries me more than the Foster-UConn talk.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from thekeyplay comments:

"Bud had a quote in Beamer's new book saying he would not leave until Beamer hangs it up. I think he sticks around till Beamer retires given he would be (hopefully) the front runner for the VT job."