• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2017 NFL Draft

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with Little Mac. Think I prefer OJ Howard.

This is maybe where I am at. I understand the benefits of a player like him being on the team. I just have quite a few realistic options rated above him right now that I would rather see the Broncos go with. Doesn't mean I can't get behind him if the Broncos do take him. Part of it for me is I like Kamara just a bit more than McCaffrey and I think there is a possibility he could be there in the 2nd round.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why burn a first on mccaffrey, a scat back who is not and never will be a bellcow, with a first round pick, when you can nab curtis samuel or alvin kamara a round or 2 later and they will do the exact same thing at a fraction of the (draft capital) cost. McCaffrey has so much usage already on his barely 200lbs body and is going to be needing touches schemed to him. Only backs that are worth first rounders are bell cows. Recent small twitch RB/WR/KR/PR/OW types all have failed to live up to their selections

Reggie Bush? How many teams does it take to figure out how to use a scatback? he is done now. Wasted pick.
Tavon Austin? 8 overall and monumental bust. Again, too small to carry the ball consistently and hard to scheme open that guy. It isn't college so harder to get those small guys in space
Percy Harvin? Same thing, and now we are talking injuries due to small frame.
Dexter McCluster? Been hoping around the league, again haven't been able to live up to his draft slot.

These types of players do not project well to the next level and with the 5th year option on the first rounders with the new CBA, guys like McCaffrey are not worth round 1 selections. Only way you want to break away from core draft positions: QB, CB, Pass Rusher, OT, is if the guy projects as a top 5-10 player at his position. OJ Howard does project as a top 5 TE. Reuben Foster projects as a top 5 ILB. Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker both project top 5 S. Leonard Fournette could be a top 5 back. Other than those guys... I don't see the value and talent matching up for pick 20. If we trade down to like 30 or something... i can swallow but just too many examples of the type of player mccaffrey is not being worth the value of a first round pick.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys I would take before McCaffrey (in no particular order)

1. Myles Garrett
2. Solomon Thomas
3. Malik McDowell
4. Reuben Foster
5. Jon Allen
6. OJ Howard
7. Ryan Ramczyk
8. Cam Robinson
9. Marshon Lattimore
10. Teez Tabor
11. Sidney Jones
12. Jamal Adams
13. Malik Hooker
14. Dalvin Cook
15. Leonard Fournette
16. Corey Davis
17. Tim Williams (depends on the drugs tho...)
18. Takk McKinley
19. Zach Cunningham
20. John Ross

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with all of those. Cept maybe McKinley. I don't mind McKinley but I think he is major boom or bust. Id have to look more but I would also take Quincy Wilson over him...

Wilson is soooo damn good.

Watch out for Florida S Marcus Maye too he is under the radar now but should get draft love soon. He has been over shadowed by great CB's and Keanu Neal all of his career.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver won't draft McCaffrey no way no how. JE is still in 80's and 90's mode. McCaffrey is present mode. of thinking.JE isn't there if he ever is. I expect D at 20.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kamara is a super fun player to watch. It's hard to explain his ability to break tackles... he is so shifty and quick its almost like he can get to the very perimeter of a player's tackle radius and then break their weak arm tackles. If he gets into open space, he is so agile and fast with great vision when setting up his blockers at the second level. DBD (draftbreakdown) just released this tape of him. Fun to watch.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver won't draft McCaffrey no way no how. JE is still in 80's and 90's mode. McCaffrey is present mode. of thinking.JE isn't there if he ever is. I expect D at 20.

Elway has shown though that he does sometimes drift towards known commodities. This last coaching staff is a great example of hiring one of his best friends and then a bunch of coaches he has worked with in the past.

Brock Osweiler was about as raw as can be when we drafted him but he also knew Elway's son very well from college and if I remember right even came to Elway's house a couple of times well before he entered the draft.

So while McCaffrey is not close to being my first choice at 20 it wouldn't surprise me either to see him get picked.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you pick Christian Mac at 20 - you have to be committed to building an offense in which he can be the catalyst (this also means you need another back - who can step into the position if CMac gets injured).

Because of this - I do expect Christian Mac will drop out of the 1st round.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you pick Christian Mac at 20 - you have to be committed to building an offense in which he can be the catalyst (this also means you need another back - who can step into the position if CMac gets injured).

Because of this - I do expect Christian Mac will drop out of the 1st round.
I don't view him as a RB I view him as a football player that can make plays from anywhere on the field at any time
Right now working with Brandon stokley on the nuances of the slot WR position
I'd be stunned if he drops out of the first. If Mcoy cant meld him into his offense then McCoy is either hard headed or an idiot or both and we know he's not

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't view him as a RB I view him as a football player that can make plays from anywhere on the field at any time
Right now working with Brandon stokley on the nuances of the slot WR position
I'd be stunned if he drops out of the first. If Mcoy cant meld him into his offense then McCoy is either hard headed or an idiot or both and we know he's not

I agree he is a first round talent - my point is - if drafted that early - you have to build him into the offense to maximize his talents - to make him a slash player. That requires changing your offense and insuring you have a back up player who can play substitute to CMac if he is injured. This is why - I think CMac might fall out of the 1st round - not because of talent, but because you have to structure your offense around him and worry about what other guys who want the ball think about it. You don't just draft him to solve a problem at RB or at the slot - you draft him for his versatility and as an offensive performer - there has not been a lot of that in the pros.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why burn a first on mccaffrey, a scat back who is not and never will be a bellcow, with a first round pick, when you can nab curtis samuel or alvin kamara a round or 2 later and they will do the exact same thing at a fraction of the (draft capital) cost. McCaffrey has so much usage already on his barely 200lbs body and is going to be needing touches schemed to him. Only backs that are worth first rounders are bell cows. Recent small twitch RB/WR/KR/PR/OW types all have failed to live up to their selections

Reggie Bush? How many teams does it take to figure out how to use a scatback? he is done now. Wasted pick.
Tavon Austin? 8 overall and monumental bust. Again, too small to carry the ball consistently and hard to scheme open that guy. It isn't college so harder to get those small guys in space
Percy Harvin? Same thing, and now we are talking injuries due to small frame.
Dexter McCluster? Been hoping around the league, again haven't been able to live up to his draft slot.

These types of players do not project well to the next level and with the 5th year option on the first rounders with the new CBA, guys like McCaffrey are not worth round 1 selections. Only way you want to break away from core draft positions: QB, CB, Pass Rusher, OT, is if the guy projects as a top 5-10 player at his position. OJ Howard does project as a top 5 TE. Reuben Foster projects as a top 5 ILB. Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker both project top 5 S. Leonard Fournette could be a top 5 back. Other than those guys... I don't see the value and talent matching up for pick 20. If we trade down to like 30 or something... i can swallow but just too many examples of the type of player mccaffrey is not being worth the value of a first round pick.
McCaffrey has really good tape and he is white which allegedly raises draft stock but generally his type of physical frame should keep him out of rd1 in today's NFL. James White comes to mind as a comparison but thats a bit loaded since he just won a Super Bowl being a badass.

I think McCaffrey is going to have some good years as a rotation guy somewhere and he'll have some highlight reels but he'll almost undoubtedly fall out of the top 25 picks unless someone gets desperate. I think if he destroys the combine then a team like the Chiefs might draft him in rd1 but otherwise I kinda see him as a round 2 pick that will succeed on certain levels but never really be a focal point of an offense.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has shown though that he does sometimes drift towards known commodities. This last coaching staff is a great example of hiring one of his best friends and then a bunch of coaches he has worked with in the past.

Brock Osweiler was about as raw as can be when we drafted him but he also knew Elway's son very well from college and if I remember right even came to Elway's house a couple of times well before he entered the draft.

So while McCaffrey is not close to being my first choice at 20 it wouldn't surprise me either to see him get picked.

My main point is I go by trends on the chances something happens

On Mac I think we could use him in a variety of ways something our O has needed forever. The reality is imo until JE actually drafts a guy like this in first or 2nd round . I don't think its in his thought process to do so.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is eddie mac jr worth #20 if he can provide 7+ TDs a year for the next 4 years.
He may be the safest pick in the first round. Comes fron a pro style offense , is smart and has been around pro football his whole life so he understands what it means to be pro.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you get the same kind of player later in the draft? If yes, they ain't worth it.

Gimme Curtis Samuel round 2 or 3. I love him

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is eddie mac jr worth #20 if he can provide 7+ TDs a year for the next 4 years.
He may be the safest pick in the first round. Comes fron a pro style offense , is smart and has been around pro football his whole life so he understands what it means to be pro.

The answer to that question is yes.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I haven't been around much this month (to everyone's benefit), but i just wanted to randomly say I love the draft. Not sure if anyone knew that.

Ill get back to the grind next week.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many have their doubts and understandably so, but I'm not ready to write him off yet as a 3 down back. Going into combine his weight was around 208 awhile back. I got a chance to watch him quite a bit last two years as Stanford games were on almost every week and that guy is a lot tougher between the tackles than many give him credit for. I would say if he enters combine at 210 or more, he wants to showcase that he can be a workhorse for a team not just situational and return game back. If he shows up around 200, he wants to showcase his speed thus leaning more to him as the receiver/return weapon guy instead probably. I like him but not in rd 1-2. I like the kid from Texas in rd 3 instead or Samuel in 2nd ?

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many have their doubts and understandably so, but I'm not ready to write him off yet as a 3 down back. Going into combine his weight was around 208 awhile back. I got a chance to watch him quite a bit last two years as Stanford games were on almost every week and that guy is a lot tougher between the tackles than many give him credit for. I would say if he enters combine at 210 or more, he wants to showcase that he can be a workhorse for a team not just situational and return game back. If he shows up around 200, he wants to showcase his speed thus leaning more to him as the receiver/return weapon guy instead probably. I like him but not in rd 1-2. I like the kid from Texas in rd 3 instead or Samuel in 2nd ?

If McCaffrey runs a sub 4.5 40 in the 80th percentile or above in agility drills and weighs 210 lbs + he will have my attention lol