• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like every year... Use this thread to talk about draft prospects, post your player wish lists, mock drafts, highlight vids, etc. For those that don't follow college football then this is a good place to learn about players entering the draft.

Current picks (7 total):
1st Rd (30th overall)
2nd Rd
3rd Rd
4th Rd
5th Rd
6th Rd
7th Rd

Compensatory picks: Don't believe the Steelers a due any compensatory picks. I believe the loss of Beachum gets cancelled by Ladarius Green. They also added Ricardo Matthews, so he could displace the loss of McLendon. And the loss of Spence offset by the addition of Steven Johnson. If those cancellations are the case, then the only other losses that could potentially earn them comp picks are Antwan Blake & Will Johnson. Blake was a good ST contributor for the Titans, and W-Johnson hit IR before the '16 season began. In other words, don't expect any comp picks this season.

Here is a quick rundown of the needs (in no particular order - feel free to add more):

OLB/edge: Deebo is past his prime, but still contributing. I know he said he wasn't done after the AFCCG, but they need fresh blood. You cannot depend on Harrison's body at age 39 to hold up for another season, even if he is defying all the odds. Dupree is still on the rise. Jarvis Jones is a FA and that experiment should be viewed as a failure. IMO he should only be resigned for a league minimum contract. Moats is still UC, but he was demoted to a pine-rider this season. Chickillo is fun to be optimistic about, but I don't know if he will ever be a full-time depth guy, plus he has an injury history. They need new blood to add competition to the group, and potentially push for starting duties.

RB: We all know the contract situation with Bell being a FA will gather the main storylines in the NFL. The franchise tag is a very viable option should the Steelers not strike a deal. But let's assume Bell stays in Pittsburgh, what does that leave? DeAngelo Williams is turning 34 and is a FA. He still has plenty left in the tank, but could be contemplating retirement. Even if he does sign a 1-2yr deal, do you really want to rely on an aging vet to be the primary backup to a feature RB (Bell) with an extensive injury history? 34 years old might as well be in his 50's as far as RB ages go. Without D-Will, that leaves the overweight pothead Karlos Williams as the only other viable candidate. Toussaint is a FA. Yikes. I think with or without Bell the justifications to drafting a RB are very high.

CB: Primarily they need a slot guy. Willie Gay is still UC, but was burnt toast at that position. His age indicates that he will be battling for a roster position next season. And there's no way they can put all their eggs in Golson's basket until he proves he can survive a training camp. But it wouldn't be completely absurd to see them bring in another outside CB to provide more competition. Cockrell & Burns are still very young and continuously improving. And the schematic problems could be indicative of a group that doesn't necessarily believe it could win man-to-man battles. Whatever the case is, the secondary is still the problem with the defense. Who knows what they have planned for Gilbert.

ILB: Timmons is a FA, and we have had many discussions on what the Steelers should do. Originally we were all under the assumption that he is playing his last year in the black & gold, but he flipped the script on us with a very impressive stretch on the '16 season. He most deservedly earned another contract, but his age is concerning. At 35 next season, much like Deebo he'll be tough to rely on. Vince Williams is the heir-apparent, and after him is Tyler Matakevich. Steven Johnson is a FA and only contributed on ST, so he's replaceable.

TE: Grimble & Johnson are FAs. Green's injury history has me concerned. The Steelers don't gain anything by cutting ties with Ladarius. They would have to eat some dead money if that were the case. He will likely be with the Steelers next season. If he can stay healthy, he could obviously help out the offense in many ways. There was talk of retirement, so maybe his lingering issues will push him out the door. That would leave Jesse James as the only TE UC next season. Quite the gamble with or without Green, unless they resign one of their FAs.

OT:
A-Vill is a FA. I don't think the Steelers can afford to let him go. He hasn't mustered up the resume to raise his price tag, but he is certainly a valuable contributor. Hopefully the Steelers can get him signed for relatively cheap. If not, that leaves Ryan Harris & Jerald Hawkins. Both have an injury history.

WR: The return of Martavis Bryant will be something to keep an eye on this offseason. If he can prove to keep himself clean, then we would surely welcome him back with open arms. But who knows what he'll look like on the field after a full season off. Do the Steelers want to put all their eggs in that basket? His last year under contract is next season, and he is just 1 more violation from being suspended indefinitely. Coates & Hamilton have proven to be unworthy of trustworthy contributions, DHB will be 30, and Rogers & Ayers are better suited in the slot. That 2nd option across from AB needs to be secured. At the very least they should be looking at this position for insurance should Bryant fail them once again.

S: Arguments can be made that outside of Davis, there isn't a whole lot to be excited about with this group. Mitchell is what he is... He’s middle of the pack, lays the wood but also makes lots of mistakes in coverage that are completely inexcusable for a guy who’s been in the league for nearly a decade. He'll be 30 next season, so he's not getting any younger. Aside from him, there's Dangerfield, Golden, Ventrone, & Hagen. I think its safe to say that they know the ceiling for all of those guys. Dangerfield & Golden are capable, but aren't going to improve the unit. Not even going to talk about Shamarko because that sinking ship is finally going to set sail this offseason (FA). Adding another "Davis" to this group could vault this secondary to the next level.

QB: Mettenberger is the sole backup UC in '17, currently. Landry Jones likely earned himself a new contract, but we all know how we feel about that. Ben's window is getting narrower by the year, so it will be interesting to see how Colbert & Tomlin play it. Will they continue to ignore it, and ultimately wait until the right prospect comes around? Or will they bring in new blood to groom? We've been asking ourselves this question in the offseason going on about 2 years now. At Ben's age, and taking into account his weight on those oft-injured knees, its a valid concern.

DISCUSS!!!

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My midseason draft thoughts from the other thread:

Haven't dove into prospect listings yet as I'm still gathering a list of team needs and prioritizing... Been tryin to analyze each position group, but the flip-flopping on the justifications is never-ending. Here's what I have to date:

QUARTERBACK
Expiring Contracts: Jones, Gradkowski
My take: Have a hard time justifying Landry's existence in Pittsburgh, but it keeps happening every year. Now that his contract is up, the Steelers will have to answer the question of whether he has learned & developed enough to justify keeping him onboard as a QB2. With Mett in the fold it gives them leverage, not that they need it. But I think we can all agree the Landry Jones experiment should be buried.

Need: Low

RUNNING BACK (RB, FB)
Expiring Contracts: Bell, D-Williams, Toussaint, Nix
My take: This next FA period is going to be a highly debated one for Pittsburgh fans. We know Bell isn't trustworthy enough to earn the contract he wants, but will he command the top dollar? If he tries to explore the open market you can bet your sweet ass 31 teams will be calling. He could get the $12-15mil, but it wouldn't be here. It will be interesting to see where his priorities lie. With D-Will also set to become a FA, and also could be contemplating retirement, it's easy to see why Colbert has been stocking the PS cupboard with RB talent. Daryl Richardson & Karlos Williams are there. We could be in for a major shakeup at the RB position next season. Nix was a great acquisition last year, but it looks like he was very out of shape this offseason. Questions about his dedication are there.

Need: High

RECEIVERS (WR, TE)
Expiring Contracts: Wheaton, D-Johnson, Grimble
My take: Sorry Wheaton, I don't think there's much of a chance that you stick around. You cannot seem to shake a shoulder injury this season, and Eli Rogers & Sammie Coates have emerged and they aren't going anywhere. Add in Ayers and the writing is on the wall. Depending on what we see from Green's activation, either DJ or Grimble could be released at that point. Doubt the team will carry 4 TE's with other positions being so thin. I think now that Nix is healthy, DJ will get the axe once Green is ready. They can resign 1 of Johnson or Grimble for cheap.

Need: Moderate

O-LINE (OT, G, C)

Expiring Contracts: Villanueva, Wallace, Hubbard
My take: A-Vill is a no-brainer resign. They won't let him walk like they did Beach because they still don't know what they have in Hawkins. I could see A-Vill getting a 3-yr contract. Also, Harris will still be under contract next season so that gives them flexibility. But given Harris' injury history, I wouldn't feel very assured depending on him. Hubbard's emergence as a OT helps his case tremendously. He is far from polished, but given his position flexibility I'd love to see him stick around. He's seen work at every position on the O-line (looked awful at LT in the preseason though lol). Wallace used to be a fan favorite but my patience has worn thin. He's currently costing the Steelers $3.5mil and he has yet to suit up. He was a serviceable player when healthy, but Finney has emerged and will be under contract next year so that makes Wallace very expendable.

D-LINE (DE, NT/DT)
Expiring Contracts:
Matthews
My take: Not too many expiring contracts worthy of mentioning. Only Matthews, who I think could be kept around for cheap should he prove worthy. Walton is still grooming who could emerge at some point.
Need: Low

LB (ILB/OLB)
Expiring Contracts:
Timmons, J Jones, Harrison, Chickillo, Fort, S Johnson
My take: Not sure Timmons sticks around. He's lost a step or 2, but he's still serviceable. V-Will was extended last offseason so I think Timmons is gone. Only thing that worries me is that Shazier can't stay healthy. They need someone they can depend on. Matakevich has a stellar reputation so far, but is still developing. Maybe Timmons gets a 1-yr extension? Jones & Chick will likely get resigned for cheap, but the OLB position is in dire need of an upgrade. I don't see Feeney coming off the PS next season and making waves. Maybe he gets transitioned to ILB like we originally predicted he would.
Need: High

DB (CB/S)
Expiring Contracts:
Cockrell, S Thomas, Dangerfield, Ventrone
My take: I think Cockrell needs to be resigned. He is still young and developing. We've seen his potential, and he could become something special. If he walks that would leave Gay, Burns, Gilbert & Golson as a very questionable group. They don't know what they have in Gilbert & Golson yet. And Golson hasn't even proved he's durable enough to survive a single training camp. Should Cockrell walk, they would need to draft or acquire someone. It would be nice to see them at least draft a CB that is a better zone-scheme fit. The loss of Thomas & Ventrone isn't much to worry about, but I'd like to see Dangerfield stick around. He's proven to be everything the team wanted from Thomas ironically. Davis is still grooming, so he has time to potentially unseat Golden. The starting safety positions are in good hands, but will need depth should none of the 3 listed above get resigned.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few 1st-Rd mocks that I've been digging up so far...

CBS & SB Nation mocks:
NFL Mock Draft: Steelers add a pass-rushing freak in Takkarist McKinley
NFL mock draft 2017: 2 new QBs for 2 new head coaches
Takkarist McKinley DE/OLB, UCLA Bruins
per CBS
The Steelers have several question marks at pass rusher heading into next season and could look to address that need through the draft. McKinley is a tick undersized, but his athleticism and active hands allows him to penetrate the backfield.
per SB Nation
Jarvis Jones just isn’t working for Pittsburgh, and James Harrison has to retire at some point. Fortunately for Pittsburgh there is an excess of 3-4 outside linebacker prospects in this year’s draft. McKinley is a player who could slot in opposite a rapidly improving Bud Dupree.

WalterFootball mocks:
WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Mock Draft: First Round Continued
Walt's Mock: Charles Harris DE/OLB, Missouri Tigers
per WF
James Harrison is playing out of his mind right now, but the Steelers have to be aware that this won't last much longer. They'll need to find someone to replace Harrison as a starter across from Bud Dupree in the near future.
Charlie's Mock: Dawuane Smoot, DE/3-4OLB, Illinois
per WF
I admit that I was wrong on Jarvis Jones. After him dominating the SEC for two years, I thought he would turn into a good NFL player, but that hasn't happened. The Steelers could use an edge rusher to pair with Bud Dupree.

There has been a good amount of hype about Smoot as a few draft analysts have projected him among the top-10 prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft. In speaking with multiple NFL teams, they say they are grading Smoot as a mid- to late first-rounder. Smoot totaled 56 tackles and 15 for a loss, five sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass batted in 2016.

Sources say that Smoot is very athletic and explosive off the edge. However, they feel he is more disruptive than productive, and that could be the case for him in the NFL. They believe Smoot is the kind of player who will place a lot of pressure on the quarterback, but net only a few sacks.

Smoot is listed at 6-foot-3, 255 pounds, but teams think that Smoot could be about 10 pounds heavier. Starting across from Jihad Ward in 2015, Smoot had a strong junior season as he totaled eight sacks with 15 tackles for a loss, 40 tackles, two passes batted and three forced fumbles.

SteelersWire mock:
2017 NFL mock draft: latest 3-round projections
Tim Williams EDGE, Alabama
per SW
James Harrison is still making plays at 38 years old, but he can’t last forever. Off-field issues could make Williams tumble in the first round, where his rare explosiveness would be a steal this late.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like every year... Use this thread to talk about draft prospects, post your player wish lists, mock drafts, highlight vids, etc. For those that don't follow college football then this is a good place to learn about players entering the draft.

Current picks (7 total):
1st Rd (30th overall)
2nd Rd
3rd Rd
4th Rd
5th Rd
6th Rd
7th Rd

Compensatory picks: Don't believe the Steelers a due any compensatory picks. I believe the loss of Beachum gets cancelled by Ladarius Green. They also added Ricardo Matthews, so he could displace the loss of McLendon. And the loss of Spence offset by the addition of Steven Johnson. If those cancellations are the case, then the only other losses that could potentially earn them comp picks are Antwan Blake & Will Johnson. Blake was a good ST contributor for the Titans, and W-Johnson hit IR before the '16 season began. In other words, don't expect any comp picks this season.

Here is a quick rundown of the needs (in no particular order - feel free to add more):

OLB/edge: Deebo is past his prime, but still contributing. I know he said he wasn't done after the AFCCG, but they need fresh blood. You cannot depend on Harrison's body at age 39 to hold up for another season, even if he is defying all the odds. Dupree is still on the rise. Jarvis Jones is a FA and that experiment should be viewed as a failure. IMO he should only be resigned for a league minimum contract. Moats is still UC, but he was demoted to a pine-rider this season. Chickillo is fun to be optimistic about, but I don't know if he will ever be a full-time depth guy, plus he has an injury history. They need new blood to add competition to the group, and potentially push for starting duties.

RB: We all know the contract situation with Bell being a FA will gather the main storylines in the NFL. The franchise tag is a very viable option should the Steelers not strike a deal. But let's assume Bell stays in Pittsburgh, what does that leave? DeAngelo Williams is turning 34 and is a FA. He still has plenty left in the tank, but could be contemplating retirement. Even if he does sign a 1-2yr deal, do you really want to rely on an aging vet to be the primary backup to a feature RB (Bell) with an extensive injury history? 34 years old might as well be in his 50's as far as RB ages go. Without D-Will, that leaves the overweight pothead Karlos Williams as the only other viable candidate. Toussaint is a FA. Yikes. I think with or without Bell the justifications to drafting a RB are very high.

CB: Primarily they need a slot guy. Willie Gay is still UC, but was burnt toast at that position. His age indicates that he will be battling for a roster position next season. And there's no way they can put all their eggs in Golson's basket until he proves he can survive a training camp. But it wouldn't be completely absurd to see them bring in another outside CB to provide more competition. Cockrell & Burns are still very young and continuously improving. And the schematic problems could be indicative of a group that doesn't necessarily believe it could win man-to-man battles. Whatever the case is, the secondary is still the problem with the defense. Who knows what they have planned for Gilbert.

ILB: Timmons is a FA, and we have had many discussions on what the Steelers should do. Originally we were all under the assumption that he is playing his last year in the black & gold, but he flipped the script on us with a very impressive stretch on the '16 season. He most deservedly earned another contract, but his age is concerning. At 35 next season, much like Deebo he'll be tough to rely on. Vince Williams is the heir-apparent, and after him is Tyler Matakevich. Steven Johnson is a FA and only contributed on ST, so he's replaceable.

TE: Grimble & Johnson are FAs. Green's injury history has me concerned. The Steelers don't gain anything by cutting ties with Ladarius. They would have to eat some dead money if that were the case. He will likely be with the Steelers next season. If he can stay healthy, he could obviously help out the offense in many ways. There was talk of retirement, so maybe his lingering issues will push him out the door. That would leave Jesse James as the only TE UC next season. Quite the gamble with or without Green, unless they resign one of their FAs.

OT:
A-Vill is a FA. I don't think the Steelers can afford to let him go. He hasn't mustered up the resume to raise his price tag, but he is certainly a valuable contributor. Hopefully the Steelers can get him signed for relatively cheap. If not, that leaves Ryan Harris & Jerald Hawkins. Both have an injury history.

WR: The return of Martavis Bryant will be something to keep an eye on this offseason. If he can prove to keep himself clean, then we would surely welcome him back with open arms. But who knows what he'll look like on the field after a full season off. Do the Steelers want to put all their eggs in that basket? His last year under contract is next season, and he is just 1 more violation from being suspended indefinitely. Coates & Hamilton have proven to be unworthy of trustworthy contributions, DHB will be 30, and Rogers & Ayers are better suited in the slot. That 2nd option across from AB needs to be secured. At the very least they should be looking at this position for insurance should Bryant fail them once again.

S: Arguments can be made that outside of Davis, there isn't a whole lot to be excited about with this group. Mitchell is what he is... He’s middle of the pack, lays the wood but also makes lots of mistakes in coverage that are completely inexcusable for a guy who’s been in the league for nearly a decade. He'll be 30 next season, so he's not getting any younger. Aside from him, there's Dangerfield, Golden, Ventrone, & Hagen. I think its safe to say that they know the ceiling for all of those guys. Dangerfield & Golden are capable, but aren't going to improve the unit. Not even going to talk about Shamarko because that sinking ship is finally going to set sail this offseason (FA). Adding another "Davis" to this group could vault this secondary to the next level.

QB: Mettenberger is the sole backup UC in '17, currently. Landry Jones likely earned himself a new contract, but we all know how we feel about that. Ben's window is getting narrower by the year, so it will be interesting to see how Colbert & Tomlin play it. Will they continue to ignore it, and ultimately wait until the right prospect comes around? Or will they bring in new blood to groom? We've been asking ourselves this question in the offseason going on about 2 years now. At Ben's age, and taking into account his weight on those oft-injured knees, its a valid concern.

DISCUSS!!!

Great work Face!

As of today, the Steelers are picking 30th. They rarely ever move up in the 1st rd, so I would set my sites on players near the bottom of the 1st rd.

OLB...I agree 100% on your assessment of the current roster. Bottom line is they need help. Supposedly this is a deep draft and it will need to be to get an impact player this far down. Clearly the Tomlin/Colbert focus has been more on great athletic ability that can be coached up after the blown pick with Jarvis Jones.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an off the radar type athlete picked here later in the draft...maybe not in round 1 or 2.

RB...agree again even if DWill gives it one more shot, they need to upgrade the depth behind Bell...Bell gets a tag so he will be in PIT next yr, so I don't expect a RB before round 3.

CB...It would make sense to give Gilbert a full blown shot at the slot job...if so, I think Gay slides into a CB4 role. He's lost something for sure. I think they will be back to their normal 4th rd or later here unless a BPA is on the board.

ILB...Timmons has earned another yr, strictly a money issue. While I still like VWill, but he has limitations for a every down player. I can see this position being drafted high. I like the kid Zac Cummingham from Vandy...not a flatout blazer like Shazier, but plenty of speed, taller, rangy player. That duo inside would be something to watch.

TE...everything revolves around Green. Personally I like Grimble as a situational talent, but something didn't click there because he should've gotten more snaps later in the season. Tomlin is a stubborn as a mule when it comes to his FA picks so unless Green calls it a career, I expect to see him back...don't like it, but it is what it is. The Bama TE...OJ Howard I would love to see him in a Steeler uniform.

OT...Avill will get another deal. They do like the draft pick Hawkins, feel he can play either side. But as you say, he needs to prove he can stay healthy....I don't expect them to make a pick here before the 4th rd if at all pending their thoughts on Hawkins health.

OG...with the emergence of Finney, a lot of people feel this guy is starter material. I don't expect a pick at this position until after the 4th rd if at all also.

WR...agree 100%, a guy with size...I'm not sure if Coates or Hamilton are the answer if Bryant tokes again.

S...agree 100%...it would not surprise me if the Steelers take a S off the board early. Mitchell is simply not a difference maker.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Villanova

Got to watch this kid play a few times this season and he's an absolute beast. Played at the 1AA or FCS level so he's not a household name. He can get after the QB. No doubt about it. The tools are there. Really think he will become a great NFL player.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is the draft thread, but these signings do effect who we need to draft.....

Report: Steelers re-sign Cobi Hamilton Thursday
So far Hamilton, Nix & Dangerfield were resigned to 1-yr contracts. I like it. Nix was a necessity. Dangerfield & Hamilton are good depth but mainly just competition. Dangerfield had a few good games, but mainly contributed on ST. Hamilton was a great blocker on the outside, but his hands were comparable to Coates. Both are replaceable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Villanova

Got to watch this kid play a few times this season and he's an absolute beast. Played at the 1AA or FCS level so he's not a household name. He can get after the QB. No doubt about it. The tools are there. Really think he will become a great NFL player.

Good find SJ...I know I would never have known about him.

6'7" 280....could climb past the 30th with a good combine I suppose. Not your typical OLB bod, but with his skills I would go this route even if it meant formally making the move to 4-3 or making him a situational pass rusher.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how these ERFA's work? @ATL96Steeler ? Because I just found out that Villanueva is an ERFA. Not sure what sort of advantage that gives the Steelers in contract talks.

List of ERFA's this offseason:
Roosevelt Nix (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/26/17
Cobi Hamilton (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Alejandro Villanueva (ERFA)
Anthony Chickillo (ERFA)
Chris Boswell (ERFA)
Fitzgerald Toussaint (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/31/17
Jordan Dangerfield (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Xavier Grimble (ERFA)
B.J. Finney (ERFA)
Valerian Ume-Ezeoke (ERFA)
Cole Manhart (ERFA)
Kevin Anderson (ERFA) - Who the shit is this?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how these ERFA's work? @ATL96Steeler ? Because I just found out that Villanueva is an ERFA. Not sure what sort of advantage that gives the Steelers in contract talks.

List of ERFA's this offseason:
Roosevelt Nix (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/26/17
Cobi Hamilton (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Alejandro Villanueva (ERFA)
Anthony Chickillo (ERFA)
Chris Boswell (ERFA)
Fitzgerald Toussaint (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/31/17
Jordan Dangerfield (ERFA) – Signed contract with Steelers on 1/27/17

Xavier Grimble (ERFA)
B.J. Finney (ERFA)
Valerian Ume-Ezeoke (ERFA)
Cole Manhart (ERFA)
Kevin Anderson (ERFA) - Who the shit is this?

ERFA...cut and pasted from OTC.com

"Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA)

I’m not even sure why these players are called free. These are the players with 2 or less seasons in the league, a status reserved almost solely for undrafted rookie type players. Once tendered they can only negotiate with their former team. The tender offer is only a one year non-guaranteed contract at the minimum salary level so most teams would use the ERFA designation on players who were on the roster late in the prior year and signed to a 1 year deal. Usually these offers are signed as soon as they are made since nothing is gained by waiting."

I think in a nutshell is means AVill will be a Steeler next year.

Until players reach full UFA status, if the team wants them, they will have them...cheap. Most everyone under the RFA status play under market value if they are starters. AVill will continue to be a steal, but who knows, maybe they will lock him up to a long term deal cheap if that's possible.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to build my wish list pool for the 30th pick. Also guys that might actually be on the board.

Some of these names you've probably seen or will see mocked to the Steelers. In no particular order.

EDGE

Tim Williams, OLB Bama...this kid has the athletic ability they seek...has some off the field issues with a gun and some pot...this will knock him down some board.

Takkarist McKinley, OLB UCLA...another athletic player...imo his speed will have him go earlier than 30

Charles Harris, OLB, Mizzou...Maybe the best pure pass rusher of the 3.

DeMarcus Walker, DE/OLB, FL St....bigger than the typical 3-4 OLB, but should be able to drop 15 or so, and be in the Dupree size range...he can get the QB. Would love to see him on the board in the 2nd, but he'll go late 1st to early 2nd...won't last to the 60s.

Dawuane Smoot, ILL, fast twitch guy...not as polished as a pass rusher, but many feel his quickness will cause OL problems at this level.

Some other names that probably will not go in the 1st rd that you might see connected to PIT...Jordan Willis, KS St....Carl Lawson, AUB.

I hope one of these kids is there at 30, but there are some other players I like that are not edge players . I'll post them later.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ERFA...cut and pasted from OTC.com

"Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA)

I’m not even sure why these players are called free. These are the players with 2 or less seasons in the league, a status reserved almost solely for undrafted rookie type players. Once tendered they can only negotiate with their former team. The tender offer is only a one year non-guaranteed contract at the minimum salary level so most teams would use the ERFA designation on players who were on the roster late in the prior year and signed to a 1 year deal. Usually these offers are signed as soon as they are made since nothing is gained by waiting."

I think in a nutshell is means AVill will be a Steeler next year.

Until players reach full UFA status, if the team wants them, they will have them...cheap. Most everyone under the RFA status play under market value if they are starters. AVill will continue to be a steal, but who knows, maybe they will lock him up to a long term deal cheap if that's possible.
Thanks ATL!

I'm willing to bet the agents, not to mention the players, will almost always sign the 1-yr contract in this situation. Gives them a higher potential to succeed and cash in. Unless its a UDFA that's more of a ST/fringe type guy, then I can't imagine they would want to get locked up long-term on the cheap. Maybe only 2-3 years max.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#30 Wish List Pool Continued.

Everybody know edge rusher is the primary need and it does look like Colbert will be able to land a kid that should be able to start at this level. Probably not week 1 but at some point during the '17 season hopefully.

That said, BPA should be the Steelers MO and I'm looking at some other options below....again in no particular order.

OJ Howard, TE, Bama...the kid can be an impact player early...better blocker than he was LY, but a Jordan Reed type.

Corey Davis, WR, W. Mich...I know this position seems overloaded, but I saw Zerlein (NFL.com) mock him to PIT and I'm thinking why? Well, upon further thought, it makes sense. There's no guarantee that Bryant comes back, (hope he does) and there's no guarantee he picks up where he left off...we should no more in a couple of months on his status. A lot of people think this kid has WR1 potential...if he runs well at the combine he won't be there @ 30, but a player to watch.

Juju Smith-Schuster, WR USC...ditton Davis comments.

Zac Cunningham, ILB Vandy...a long rangy athletic player...not the blazer that Shazier is, but fast enough to cover TEs/RBs, and blitz...he's a week 1 starter imo.

Jarrad Davis, ILB FL, Haason Reddick, ILB, Temple...same type of LBs, I would hope to get this type talent in rd 2, but they could jump up to the bottom of the 1st rd with strong combines.

While I would be more focused on a CB in rounds 2 thru 4, there are 3 CBs I would consider at 30...Jourdan Lewis, Quicny Wilson, Garon Conley...all have CB1 potential. Can no longer wait for or count on Golson, and IMO Gay should not be starting next year.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#30 Wish List Pool Continued.

Everybody know edge rusher is the primary need and it does look like Colbert will be able to land a kid that should be able to start at this level. Probably not week 1 but at some point during the '17 season hopefully.

That said, BPA should be the Steelers MO and I'm looking at some other options below....again in no particular order.

OJ Howard, TE, Bama...the kid can be an impact player early...better blocker than he was LY, but a Jordan Reed type.

Corey Davis, WR, W. Mich...I know this position seems overloaded, but I saw Zerlein (NFL.com) mock him to PIT and I'm thinking why? Well, upon further thought, it makes sense. There's no guarantee that Bryant comes back, (hope he does) and there's no guarantee he picks up where he left off...we should no more in a couple of months on his status. A lot of people think this kid has WR1 potential...if he runs well at the combine he won't be there @ 30, but a player to watch.

Juju Smith-Schuster, WR USC...ditton Davis comments.

Zac Cunningham, ILB Vandy...a long rangy athletic player...not the blazer that Shazier is, but fast enough to cover TEs/RBs, and blitz...he's a week 1 starter imo.

Jarrad Davis, ILB FL, Haason Reddick, ILB, Temple...same type of LBs, I would hope to get this type talent in rd 2, but they could jump up to the bottom of the 1st rd with strong combines.

While I would be more focused on a CB in rounds 2 thru 4, there are 3 CBs I would consider at 30...Jourdan Lewis, Quicny Wilson, Garon Conley...all have CB1 potential. Can no longer wait for or count on Golson, and IMO Gay should not be starting next year.
If he plays as bad as he did at the end of last year, he shouldn't even make the team next year. But we know MT loves his Vets so he'll make the team at the expense of a promising rookie/FA pick up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he plays as bad as he did at the end of last year, he shouldn't even make the team next year. But we know MT loves his Vets so he'll make the team at the expense of a promising rookie/FA pick up.

Yep...I saw a thread on another site about Steeler CBs and the guy was bashing Cockrell. He is what he is...imo an average young CB...may never be a pro bowler, but he's not the weak link. Gay is that guy now.

Butler/Tomlin decided to put the training wheels back on vs NE instead of letting his tall physical CBs play up on the line of scrimmage and take his chances being aggressive. So sure, Cockrell and Burns gave up some underneath completions...that's what happens with that kind of DEF.

If Golson ever sees the field (I have my doubts now) yes, I think that would bump a Shabazz or even Gibert off the 53 in lieu of Gay.