• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Eagles Complete Draft Review

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rd 1: Derek Barnett DE Tennessee

*** Barnett was a rock solid pick; to me he's the kind of player whom we can count on to solidify the End spot opposite Brandon Graham as a 3 down player. Super productive 20 year old who lived in the backfield at Tennessee with an incredible amount of impact plays (sacks, tackles for loss and pressures). While not a “sexy” athlete like a Myles Garrett, Barnett understands leverage, angles and setting the edge … should be a plus 8 sack per year guy and still has upside. He's a good bet to beat out Vinny Curry, who seemed to plateau after getting the big contract and Marcus Smith, who needs a great pre-season to even make the team.

Rd 2: Sidney Jones CB Washington

*** If he only misses the first 6 games of the season this pick is going to be a slam dunk! The injury is not considered to be as significant in comparison to other achilles injuries and he could very well be ready to resume football “activities” during camp. That doesn't mean that he will be on the Game 1 roster, but the Eagles have a top notch #1 Corner once he fully recovers. Prior to the injury Jones pretty much shut down half the field where teams didn't even bother throwing his way much; the outlook is that Jones will make a full recovery. For a reference point look at WR John Ross who tore his ACL (harder to come back from than Achilles) and he comes back to have a super year, runs a 4.22 and gets drafted in the top 10.

Rd 3: Rasul Douglas CB West Virginia

*** Douglas ran his 40 in the high 4.5's, but aside from average straight line speed, Douglas has everything else you want in a border Corner. Excellent size (6'2” 210 lbs), great ball skills (8 Int's in 2016) and unlike most Corners coming into the league, he tackles really well. Watching over his tape after drafted, you can see him always looking into the backfield while not losing his man; thus allowing him to read the QB and jump routes. I see Douglas jumping right into a starter role and making it difficult for the bigger WR's in our division like Dez Bryant and Terrelle Pryor. We need the combo of Jalen Mills / Patrick Robinson to hold down the fort on the other side until Sidney Jones is ready to go.

Rd 4: Mack Hollins WR North Carolina

*** Hollins makes a lot of sense as a pick because he needs seasoning and the Eagles don't need immediate help at WR at the moment, but have Jordan Matthews on the final year of his rookie deal, Alshon Jeffery on a one year deal and are simply stuck with Nelson Agholor due to his contract. Hollins has had really bad luck with injuries, but his size and physical attributes (4.5 speed at 6'4” 220 lbs 10” hands) are that of a top flight WR. When healthy he has shown tremendous deep play ability as he has averaged over 20 yards per catch. With a year of coaching up on routes and general play, Hollins can develop into one heck of a receiver. Until then he will contribute immediately on special teams as he was excellent as a gunner at Carolina.

Rd 4: Donell Pumphrey RB San Diego State

*** I think this pick says a lot on what the Eagles want to do this year. This pick says, Carson Wentz, we are going to ride your shoulders! The Eagles will use the running game as strictly a complimentary thing to keep the Defenses honest, but we will live or die with the passing game. Despite being only 178 lbs, Pumphrey produced incredible college numbers and showed to be extremely durable despite being slight for a RB. If he can gain 10 lbs he can carve a career to mirror a guy like Tampa's Warrick Dunn. Either way, the Eagles look to run the offense strictly through Wentz with Smallwood, Sproles and now Pumphrey as interchangeable parts rotating in and out. Pumphrey does seem to fit the scheme Doug Peterson has implemented for the Backs. If the blocking is there I can see Pumphrey have quite a few big plays during the season.

Rd 5: Shelton Gibson WR West Virginia

*** The Eagles double down on future deep speed for Wentz. Getting a play maker like Gibson in Rd 5 is quite a get. He ran a 4.5 at the Combine which is very solid, but plays faster than that when the helmet goes on. When you watch the film, Gibson simply loses defenders quickly and can really track the deep ball once it's in the air. Much like Hollins though, he needs work on the route tree. So he's likely going to spend the upcoming season learning more than playing on game days and while he will more than likely make the team, could see some inactives during his rookie year. If any of the guys ahead of him get hurt during the season though, Gibson could be thrown into the mix.

Rd 5: Nate Gerry S Nebraska

*** The White Snake comes to Philly. Gerry is a player who the opposition loves to hate. Not a great athlete, but excellent instincts (13 career interceptions); always in the right place at the right time and lays the wood any chance he gets. Almost put him in my final mock. Has the attitude that Philly fans will love; willing to lay out on hits even to the point of being a little dirty. Staying with the theme, he could be a special teamer if he makes the final roster which I think there is a good possibility of happening.

Rd 6: Elijah Qualls DT Washington

*** I saw plenty of Qualls this past season and he lined up everywhere. High motor/hustle player who has an outside chance of making the team, but more than likely we're looking at a practice quad player. If Beau Allen ends up missing time early though it could open the door for a player like Qualls to sneak in and show a little something. Beau himself was a 2nd round pick, so there is a chance for Qualls to find a way to stick.

Last edited:

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say Beau was a 7th round pick, not a 2nd ... too late to edit :)

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnett; probable rotation guy. Safe pick but not a stud.
Jones; once recovered he will be the#1 CB.
Douglas; depth player who could eventually start. Has the measureables but not a burner.
Hollins; the Glassman. Impressive size but not a starter.
Pumphrey; too damn small to be anything but a role player.
Gibson, fast but just a ST player.
Gerry; depth player. Potential starter.
Qualls; possible rotation player.

All in all; 1 potential stud, 1 safe pick and ST players. Perhaps 3 eventual starters and no one to help Wentz. I expected better so therefore my disappointment.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your assessments overall. I didn't like the 4th rounders but I think they did well elsewhere to get talent. White Snake is being moved to linebacker, the Eagles already announced it, so he will be a project weakside backer at the pro level. He has a chance there IMO.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how this plays out, but a few thoughts...

1. RB - I see us signing a veteran free agent soon to get in an open competition with Smallwood and Pumphrey. The good news here is that I expect the O Line to be much bigger and much better minus Kelce (eventually) and with Warmack and Wiz.

2. WR - Well, no open roster spots. Jeffrey, Smith, Matthews, Agholor, Douglas, Gibson.

3. OL - As stated, should be bigger and better.

4. DL - love the changes! Cox and Graham get solid help in Barnett and the kid from Baltimore. ?? Swartz gets an aggressive DL that can take some pressure off the young CBS.

5. No LBs is disappointing but we do get Walker back.

6. DBs - solid pick in Douglas and if Jones comes back to 100% even next year, he could be the best CB in the division.

I see UDFAs brought in as LBs, DL, and OL. Not much else.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We added Corey Clement from Wisconsin and Qb/ wr Greg Ward from Houston.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB Ryan Matthews has been cleared for workouts and should be ready for Camp. If he's in the plans it could explain why the Eagles didn't worry too much about an early down Back.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Gerry reminds me of a Steve Tasker type. He may be solid on ST imo.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have time for in depth....i'll make this short and sweet

Barnett - C+ I see him as a 7-8 sack guy. Hopefully he proves me wrong
Sidney Jones - A+ - this was a risky move, but I like the risk, best CB in the draft
Rasul Douglas - B - I like the pick, solid player
Mack Hollins - A+ A mike Evans type WR, absolutely love this pick!
Donell Pumphrey - F absolutely the worst pick they made. I don't get this selection even a little bit.
Jamaal Williams and Marlon Mack were both available and we passed to draft a twenty pound lighter Warrick Dunn? Huge mistake.
Shelton Gibson -B Poor mans Djax....decent pick

I''l grade the 5 rds as a B-

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles took what the draft offered them. they're better on defense and maybe some of those after the 3rd round can contribute on special teams. The only chance they had to move the needle on offense was in the second and they chose to go defense. I have no problem with that
You can't plug all your holes at once and they've had a pretty good off-season
I think they're a better team although having the 5th toughest schedule it may not be reflected in their record.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Hollins has a chance to be a special WR if he can stay healthy. On top of having great speed for his size, he has many other things going for him. He is quick and physical off the LOS making him very hard to jam. He's also a really good blocker on screens to his side or in the running game ... he certainly plays hard even when not involved directly in the play. Many of his dings have come off of special teams play where he also goes all out ... it's great that he's so good in that regard, but I think his potential is too high as a receiver to risk using him as a gunner at the pro level. I watched the breakdown clips against Florida State, Duke, Clemson and one more (I can't remember) and he was getting open at will (quite a few overthrows from the QB). Even missing most of his Senior season with the broken collarbone, this kid broke North Carolina's career receiving TD record with 20 and he did it on 81 catches where he averaged over 20 yards per catch. I'm pretty excited about having Hollins in the fold!

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the Eagles should look into Jamaal Charles now with the draft over. I think we can get him cheap and I also think he still has some left in the tank.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not into grades this early. My general impression is this, we took a bunch of rotational players. Which with the way we play on both offense and defense is ok. All except the special teamer they took in the fourth round were real productive college players. In fact Hollins is the only one who sticks out as a Howie type pick ( possible upside but questionable production) The rest had Douglas written all over them. Overall I would say this draft was average.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home fucking run. Gave a real boost to the defense and got competition on offense at all the skill positions. This offense is loaded compared to last year.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's move forward 2-3 years. Barnett and Jones should be starters performing at a very high level. You hope to get 1 more starter out of the rest, but if not, it looks like there will be at least 1-2 solid contributors.

Overall, you have to like getting two guys that should lock things down at two positions for you for 5-10 years.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnett; probable rotation guy. Safe pick but not a stud.
Jones; once recovered he will be the#1 CB.
Douglas; depth player who could eventually start. Has the measureables but not a burner.
Hollins; the Glassman. Impressive size but not a starter.
Pumphrey; too damn small to be anything but a role player.
Gibson, fast but just a ST player.
Gerry; depth player. Potential starter.
Qualls; possible rotation player.

All in all; 1 potential stud, 1 safe pick and ST players. Perhaps 3 eventual starters and no one to help Wentz. I expected better so therefore my disappointment.

I agree with most of that except -- Barnett could be a very, very good player. Calling him a rotation guy doesn't do justice to his potential. I'm also not sure about Gerry as a potential starter...but I like his attitude.