• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Eagles Complete Draft Review

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The approach to this draft was obviously to address long-term needs, while keeping short-term needs in mind. They seem to have balanced it pretty well but definitely focused more on addressing long-term needs. That's ok in my book. You build by addressing long-term needs so that when your short-term plans don't work out, you have something to fall back on.

People can criticize them for not moving up to get Cook but their failure to do so reflects this approach. You can't trade away potential depth (in the form of later picks) to fill an immediate need at RB (especially when you're really not going to be a legitimate contender this year.)

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term it can actually be a blessing in disguise that we ended up with Sidney Jones and not traded up for Cook. RB's are simply easy to find as long as your OL is good. Shut down Corners, like Jones can be once 100%, are a bit tougher to get. Plus we would have had to trade away one of those 4th to move up which meant Hollins or Pumphrey wouldn't have been here.

Doc Green

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others, I'm not a fan of Barnett. While he was productive in the best conference (Roll Tide), he lacked the burst (impatience (offsides) does not equal burst)) and sheer will (strength) to push through more talented LTs. That said, Barnett has the flexibility to meander around the tackles to get in the backfield. I see him as a Brandon Graham "clone", talent and production-wise. I hope he does better, but for now, the pick is a B-.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others, I'm not a fan of Barnett. While he was productive in the best conference (Roll Tide), he lacked the burst (impatience (offsides) does not equal burst)) and sheer will (strength) to push through more talented LTs. That said, Barnett has the flexibility to meander around the tackles to get in the backfield. I see him as a Brandon Graham "clone", talent and production-wise. I hope he does better, but for now, the pick is a B-.

Another 2nd team All-Pro DE? Yeah I'll take those any day of the week.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another 2nd team All-Pro DE? Yeah I'll take those any day of the week.

People forget how McDermott stunted Graham's development by using him at DT so much. And then he got injured playing out of position, surprise surprise. And then played him off the line. It took like 6 years for the team to use him right. And now he harasses QBs, go figure.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Bennet wasn't my first choice, it's pretty obvious why he was taken. This dude is tailor-made for this type of defensive scheme. He'll feel right at home with our wide-9. With Cox and TimmyJ, thrown in Graham on the other side, and Curry/Long! That's a dangerous group right there. Getting Allen back for the middle will be nice for depth, but I think we'll be fine here.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really liking the free agent snag of Center Tyler Orlosky ... while I watch college ball through the season, I often make notes on players if they catch my eye. One of the few Centers I made a note on was Orlosky. I really liked the way he sealed off blocks and was always driving forward even after the whistle. After we picked him up I watched some more game film and I think we ended up with a damn good Center. He may not be as athletic as a guy like Kelce, but he has excellent power and technique ... his hand strength in particular is really impressive. Take a look at the game film vs Texas Tech below and lmk if you guys agree or disagree?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He stinks!! (Just kidding!) He is strong, and the opposite of Kelce. We'l certainly see. should be a good pickup.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are pretty stacked on the OL this upcoming season assuming we can stay away from the injury bug. Very deep ...

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are pretty stacked on the OL this upcoming season assuming we can stay away from the injury bug. Very deep ...

Nothing wrong with a stacked OL. Tho I wouldn't be surprised if Kelce is cut after june 1st.

This could free up some cap space to get Mark Ingram from the saints.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget how McDermott stunted Graham's development by using him at DT so much. And then he got injured playing out of position, surprise surprise. And then played him off the line. It took like 6 years for the team to use him right. And now he harasses QBs, go figure.

that's a really good point.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's a really good point.

I am very very excited about the Dline. Biggest question mark is Timmy Jernigan and I absolutely loved him as a prospect coming out of Florida St. He looked unblockable at the end of that year.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very very excited about the Dline. Biggest question mark is Timmy Jernigan and I absolutely loved him as a prospect coming out of Florida St. He looked unblockable at the end of that year.

Jernigan imo will be able to play to his strength more in a 4 man front as a pass rush DT than he was used in the Bear's scheme. Bennie Logan while good vs the run (Jernigan was good against the run as well even as an End) did not offer much as a pass rusher and in our scheme, we need pass rush from all Front 4 spots. Barwin at End was also miscast ... while he was good as a stand-up 3-4 rush End, he was never much of a 3 point stance guy in a 4 Man front. Both Long and Barnett are better suited for that role than Barwin was ... The changes in personnel will also help out Cox and Graham much more this year.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have got to find a way to harness "qb pressure" of the front 4 only (which we were the best at) into actual sacks and turnovers. Improving the CB's should help with that. Hell, just getting them to look back more would have increased turnovers dramatically last year.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This goes without saying, but we really need Curry to step it up this year. Even if the Birds decide to move on from him after this season, they need to get at least one good year of production from that ridiculous contract Roseman gave him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This goes without saying, but we really need Curry to step it up this year. Even if the Birds decide to move on from him after this season, they need to get at least one good year of production from that ridiculous contract Roseman gave him.

It can take two years to get back in position after playing out of position in a 3-4. I have some hope for him, but I also think it's gravy at this point. Long can fill his role, and his direct replacement from a front office planning perspective was just drafted.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can take two years to get back in position after playing out of position in a 3-4. I have some hope for him, but I also think it's gravy at this point. Long can fill his role, and his direct replacement from a front office planning perspective was just drafted.

Especially with these rumblings recently about Graham holding out for a new contract, all the more reason for Curry to assume a bigger role and more production. It's now or never with him, but regardless I too like the short/long term additions along the line, they should have a better year overall than last.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that Graham had a good "all around" year, but he ended up with 5.5 Sacks. Yes, he pressured the QB's well, but so did Mike "so close" Mamula years ago. I can see if he racked up 12 Sacks so something like that, but 5.5 Sacks and holding out?