• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Osweiler Signs with Texans

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it the PERFECT situation.

Most QB's if given the choice of which system they play in I bet you almost every single one of them would pick O'Brien's over Kubiak's.

And let's face it....in Houston there is going to be a little less pressure than there would have been in Denver. I'd rather follow Hoyer than follow Manning!

That is a very good point!

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well so far Kubiak as been the OC or HC of 4 different QB's that made the Pro Bowl or better in his time in the NFL. Flacco, Schaub, and Plummer all had their best years in the NFL under Kubiak. Elway obviously won 2 Super Bowls with him as the OC. So O'Brien at this point has Tom Brady and that is it.
That's all good for context, but were you surprised they let Brock walk so soon? He seems to have several good qualities and that are hard to find in a QB. I'm not sure Broncos are going to be able to just plug in another QB without faltering a bit.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock's going to have lot more pressure to perform in Houston.

The Texans' defense isn't near as good as Denver's.

J J Watt can only play one position.
72 mill, says Brock will be just fine and happy in Houston.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Osweiler realized just how rare of a situation he was in.

This. Denver has one of the best defenses since the 85 Bears and that great Ravens defense in whatever year it was. Don't commit turnovers, throw the ball away when you have to and you've got a good chance to repeat.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Brock was instrumental in reg season for getting the Broncos as far as they did. Seems strange they would disrupt such a key position after winning a SB.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, even Matt Cassel went 11-5 before his absurd payday. Props to Osweiler and his agent.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of nervously laughing at the Broncos QB situation. Funny that they don't have a QB, nervous because I know Elway will figure something out.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of nervously laughing at the Broncos QB situation. Funny that they don't have a QB, nervous because I know Elway will figure something out.

Yeah, Elway has proven he knows what he's doing... QB's aren't always easy to find though, especially good ones... But Brock wasn't that great anyway, so Elway was smart not to throw the $ at him ...

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to all that's been said: his passes seem a little odd to me, point of the ball is always down, something about his delivery.

To be that big, he should really be able to spin the ball (Flacco throws a good ball, and he's about same height), yet he doesn't. Not much zip.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Denver has one of the best defenses since the 85 Bears and that great Ravens defense in whatever year it was. Don't commit turnovers, throw the ball away when you have to and you've got a good chance to repeat.

Lost Trevathan, lost Malik, and had a VERY healthy 2015 season on D. Few games missed by Ware (who may not stay), Ward, and Wolfe, and they were back for the playoff run. It's tough keeping a large group of talented players together in the age of free agency. You bring up the Ravens D in 2000... By 2002 they were a bottom half of the league D. They gave up 100 more points in 2001, and nearly 100 more than that in 02.

jdlewis777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's started 22 games in between college and NFL in 7yrs!!! Couldn't beat out the starter at ASU Stephen Theet (who?). That's a ridiculous contract for someone who has barely played qb in his adult life.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's started 22 games in between college and NFL in 7yrs!!! Couldn't beat out the starter at ASU Stephen Theet (who?). That's a ridiculous contract for someone who has barely played qb in his adult life.

Could care less that Brady couldn't beat out Brian Griese or Dreisbach or Cam not being able to outplay Tebow.

It is a huge amount of money with a risk, but what better option is there for a team needing a QB this year? I've said starting weeks ago, his deal will be big... I kept hearing "2 years 24 mil" thrown out by people here, and said no. What are your other options? A rookie with zero games of NFL experience? old guys who've been up and down and proven over long amounts of time at the NFL level that they aren't that good?

jdlewis777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could care less that Brady couldn't beat out Brian Griese or Dreisbach or Cam not being able to outplay Tebow.

It is a huge amount of money with a risk, but what better option is there for a team needing a QB this year? I've said starting weeks ago, his deal will be big... I kept hearing "2 years 24 mil" thrown out by people here, and said no. What are your other options? A rookie with zero games of NFL experience? old guys who've been up and down and proven over long amounts of time at the NFL level that they aren't that good?

With all due respect that is really crazy logic. Pay a guy a franchise crippling amount because he's what's available? Ha ha. Good stuff.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect that is really crazy logic. Pay a guy a franchise crippling amount because he's what's available? Ha ha. Good stuff.

He's got the best potential upside of who's available. You can't win with any consistency in the NFL without a QB. It's why guys get huge checks in free agency that they don't if they extend a deal. Denver was willing to give 15 mil a year for him. Basically 82% of their available cap space they held up for him, letting key FA's walk while they talked. Houston game up about 46% of their available cap space.

If he works out for them, cool! If not, they've go him for 2 years where they have the cap space to keep him at that price.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
37+ guaranteed million for a guy whose had 7 starts in his career and only 3 worth talking about. Houston.....

S4DN95o.gif

Oh god, what a joke. Houston was just starting to reinvent themselves and then they tie this fucking albatross contract around their neck. Just shaking my head.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a very good point!

What's actually funny is that Brock had a lower QB rating and worse stats than Hoyer did last year. For all intensive purposes Brian Hoyer actually had a better season than the guy Houston just paid $75 million too.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's actually funny is that Brock had a lower QB rating and worse stats than Hoyer did last year. For all intensive purposes Brian Hoyer actually had a better season than the guy Houston just paid $75 million too.

As long as you don't count that post-season game this past year...

The thing with Hoyer (besides being benched for Mallett, not Peyton) is he is 31 and just showed you his ceiling this year. Built largely off of good games vs. bad D's (NOR, Ten, Indy, Jax) and real bad ones vs. better D's (Cincy, KC, NE). A few years ago this was McCown.. It's very rare you find a guy at that age, who's been through multiple teams show up and play good football. I'd much rather take a young backup who shows promise, who's staff gushed over his leadership and abilities, and who showed some upside in his play entering his prime than that.