• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you brought up Urban Meyer. With the full knowledge that Harbaugh would be the most likely to abuse this rule.
Wouldn't be a Michigan fan if I didn't try to paint OSU in a negative light somehow.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is great..... but again.... as long as kids can be helped out with travel expenses only, then I'm all for it.

The local camps aren't outlawed. The only thing that was outlawed was the coaches couldn't be "guests" at them.

It's funny how much people are talking about "exposure" and all that. When Saban would go to spring highschool practices all these things could be said, but yet they made a rule against that - called the "Saban Rule". Where was the outcry then?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be a Michigan fan if I didn't try to paint OSU in a negative light somehow.
You're stance on the rule has nothing to do with the team you follow. I would't like Helton doing it but I wouldn't say Kelly will abuse it just because ND is A rival. Especially in the case of Harbaugh who has proven to be addicted to social media as well as practice unacceptable behaviors i.e. sleep overs etc.... The fact is Harbaugh is the most likely to abuse electronic communications with recruits. The question is do you flip directions and refer to him as a media genius when he abuses this rule you don't condone?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So opponents of the satellite camps...what do the camps hurt? I've listed some benefits. What is the other side of that?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is why people think you are a dumbass.
Because we have real rivalries in the B10 and not ones against Charleston southern?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting point, may be the way around this already:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So opponents of the satellite camps...what do the camps hurt? I've listed some benefits. What is the other side of that?

Don't have time to list it all right now, I've done so in the past. But what ends up happening is large amounts of competition between schools/coaches and money becomes a big time factor. It makes recruiting extremely shady.

In the end, these camps are just about making money and the coaches were nothing more than headliners for promotions.

Take a peak at 7 on 7 camps for examples.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure UAB's gonna have to shut down their program because of those two players Harbaugh got...oh wait :doh:

On the other hand, from your article:
That's a great opportunity for the high school players in this state. They get an up-close-and-personal look at one of the biggest names in coaching and his staff at one of the bigger programs. It's an opportunity many of the players wouldn't have if they had to pay their own way to Ann Arbor.

From the perspective of the high school player, how can you argue against satellite camps?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact: They banned the practice like 10 years ago and this was just a loophole.

Fact2: The camps aren't outlawed.

Saban fluffer!

Oh the bullshit comment stings.

Funny the ruling stated no coaches can be employed at these camps but did not rule may not participate. Otherwise the Sound Mind and Body camps that raise funds for charity stop.

Face it a few bitchy SEC coaches do not want to work that hard is making high school athletes the looser.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA leapt before they looked.

If the NCAA is going to stop camps except those located at the home campus, then the NCAA should allow schools to pay for kids to come to the camps at the home campus. But... allow the school to pay for travel expenses only, no gifts/perks. And of course, limit the amount of camps for which a a kid can receive travel payment --- perhaps five, the same amount as paid official visits.

Pretty simple. Make it legal... perhaps it will help a little bit to stop boosters from illegally paying for kids expenses.

Also, the current rule of making kids wait until their Senior year classes begin (last week of August or early September) as the earliest one can take official trips is a dumb rule. Kids should be allowed to take their official trips as soon as they finish their Junior academic year in June.

Let's support the kids!!!

I know it sucks to shut down the satellite camps... but as I said in my quote above, it's okay to only allow home campus camps, BUT... as long as the NCAA does the right thing and allows schools to help kids get to these home campus camps by allowing assistance with travel expenses.

And as I mentioned in my quote..... the NCAA needs to allow official visits to commence as soon as a kid finishes his Junior academic year in June.

Last edited:

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
curious, anyone find the exact wording on the rule?

Seems to me it's saying the coaches can't be employed, can they still say visit that particular campus on the day of a camp and observe the camp that is going on? or is it always been illegal to visit a campus and just "take a look around"?