• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA leapt before they looked.

If the NCAA is going to stop camps except those located at the home campus, then the NCAA should allow schools to pay for kids to come to the camps at the home campus. But... allow the school to pay for travel expenses only, no gifts/perks. And of course, limit the amount of camps for which a a kid can receive travel payment --- perhaps five, the same amount as paid official visits.

Pretty simple. Make it legal... perhaps it will help a little bit to stop boosters from illegally paying for kids expenses.

Also, the current rule of making kids wait until their Senior year classes begin (last week of August or early September) as the earliest one can take official trips is a dumb rule. Kids should be allowed to take their official trips as soon as they finish their Junior academic year in June.

Let's support the kids!!!

So they could pay to go to these camps, but can't pay to travel?

No... the opposite.... allow the school to pay for travel expenses (which could potentially be quite expensive in some cases), no other perks nor gifts should be paid for, which includes paying for the camp registration fees, the kid and his family still need to pay for camp registration fees.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... the opposite.... allow the school to pay for travel expenses (which could potentially be quite expensive in some cases), no other perks nor gifts should be paid for, which includes paying for the camp registration fees, the kid and his family still need to pay for camp registration fees.

The school can pay the expenses on recruits they want already - they travel to see the kid.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only $25?

PS: Any recruit that needs to travel from Michigan to Alabama to get noticed isn't going to get an offer at Alabama. Maybe you should try the other direction.
Jim Harbaugh heading to Alabama high school for June 6 satellite football camp

Michigan's camp in Prattville drew more than 500 players for the one-day camp, and Rose said he hopes another big crowd will be at Bob Jones.

The camp will cost $25 and will run from 9 a.m. until noon on June 6.

What are you talking about traveling from Michigan to Alabama? Where did I say that?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is a cheap whore this year then.

And yep, my bad on the direction.
The point of it is to get exposure/see more kids, so it would be dumb to make it cost-prohibitive. Conversely, it is an opportunity for kids to get noticed. We got one kid who didn't have offers from local schools as a direct result of a satellite camp last year.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All would have probably been peachy though, had Harbaugh not had to try to wag his dick in the face of the SEC. Coaches were running satellite camps long before him and nobody made a peep. He had to go over the top and make it a huge deal, and now no one gets to do it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of it is to get exposure/see more kids, so it would be dumb to make it cost-prohibitive. Conversely, it is an opportunity for kids to get noticed. We got one kid who didn't have offers from local schools as a direct result of a satellite camp last year.

Do you think schools are going to pay for 500 kids to come to their camps?

Or do you think schools would only pay for the kids they have an interest in already?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All would have probably been peachy though, had Harbaugh not had to try to wag his dick in the face of the SEC. Coaches were running satellite camps long before him and nobody made a peep. He had to go over the top and make it a huge deal, and now no one gets to do it.

This is 100% true.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The school can pay the expenses on recruits they want already - they travel to see the kid.

Bingo... exactly... school should be able to pay a to go see a kid AND ALSO pay the travel expenses to allow the kid to come to a long-distance camp. Seeing & interacting with each other in on-the-field conditions is a helluva lot different that sitting in a kids living room!

Why wouldn't a person want to support kids in this manner? I'll answer that... homer protectionism. Some people are AFRAID to have kids explore their opportunities across the nation in fear that they will enroll at far-away schools. It's pretty simple.

What harm is there to help these kids travel to camps? I'll answer that too.... there is no harm (except for the homer protectionism concept I mentioned above).

Let's put this ridiculous protectionism away... please?

Let's help kids.... not hinder them!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So they can call this the Harbaugh rule?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo... exactly... school should be able to pay a to go see a kid AND ALSO pay the travel expenses to allow the kid to come to a long-distance camp. Seeing & interacting with each other in on-the-field conditions is a helluva lot different that sitting in a kids living room!

Why wouldn't a person want to support kids in this manner? I'll answer that... homer protectionism. Some people are AFRAID to have kids explore their opportunities across the nation in fear that they will enroll at far-away schools. It's pretty simple.

What harm is there to help these kids travel to camps? I'll answer that too.... there is no harm (except for the homer protectionism concept I mentioned above).

Let's put this ridiculous protectionism away... please?

Let's help kids.... not hinder them!

Having kids you have an interest in coming to your school is called an official visit.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think schools are going to pay for 500 kids to come to their camps?

Or do you think schools would only pay for the kids they have an interest in already?
That's my point as to how it helps the student athlete. Schools are only going to pay for a kid that they already have interest in. This is a chance for that under the radar kid to get noticed by schools from around the country when they normally might have been overlooked.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the NCAA passes another pointless rule. I can't wait to see how Harbaugh counters it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point as to how it helps the student athlete. Schools are only going to pay for a kid that they already have interest in. This is a chance for that under the radar kid to get noticed by schools from around the country when they normally might have been overlooked.

They were just combines and I think you are over-stating their value.

:noidea:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also find it funny that on the same day the NCAA just did this:

Just what parents and recruits wanted! No, Harbaugh can't come to a camp near you to help you practice -- but now Urban can text your phone, send you snapchats and pester you at all hours of the night 365 days a year! Woohoo NCAA!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also find it funny that on the same day the NCAA just did this:

Just what parents and recruits wanted! No, Harbaugh can't come to a camp near you to help you practice -- but now Urban can text your phone, send you snapchats and pester you at all hours of the night 365 days a year! Woohoo NCAA!

I guess nobody likes Michigan.

Wonder why.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were just combines and I think you are over-stating their value.

:noidea:
I know this is just one kid, but I don't think Bootle had any offers prior to Nebraska. Was overlooked by everyone. He's now got a full ride at a P5 school. This is just one example of many. Check out twitter...many players are tweeting that they wouldn't be going where they are without the camps.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having kids you have an interest in coming to your school is called an official visit.

Camp is a group activity which is very different from an official visit... please don't try to say they are the same thing!

And as for official visits.....I mentioned a few posts above that kids need to be allowed to do official visits prior to the start of Senior classes so that these kids can attend these far away campuses as soon as their Junior year ends in June.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess nobody likes Michigan.

Wonder why.
Ohio State had joined in and others were going to as well. Wasn't just Michigan. Any team that didn't live in a talent rich state would be dumb not to have tried a camp in another state. It's really quite an absurd rule and the only people against it, were those in a talent rich state who felt threatened.