• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just know money talks, that's why your school is in the B1G. You think USC is fine with the fact that Kansas state makes double what they do in tier 3 $$?
You think USC wants to sign up for a conference where the two most powerful members have threatened to blow the whole thing up a couple times in the past few years in addition to giving up the century-long history they have in their conference? And you act like the Big 12 money is a certainty going forward. It's not.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheeeit...we just need to go ahead and separate the haves from the have-nots, go ahead and make that 64-team "premier league" of CFB, and add another division for the have-nots who don't wanna drop down to AA but won't get a seat at the adults table.

I know, the bowls won't like it...but then, there are haves and have-nots in the bowls, too.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheeeit...we just need to go ahead and separate the haves from the have-nots, go ahead and make that 64-team "premier league" of CFB, and add another division for the have-nots who don't wanna drop down to AA but won't get a seat at the adults table.

I know, the bowls won't like it...but then, there are haves and have-nots in the bowls, too.
What Hu said! Been sayin' it as well. Blow them sonsofbitches up right now and be done with this crap. My Miners will never have a seat at the big boy table anyway...and don't deserve one.

But neither do (fill in the blanks) and they are all sitting at the table getting fat off the money generated by their elite brethren.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Hu said! Been sayin' it as well. Blow them sonsofbitches up right now and be done with this crap. My Miners will never have a seat at the big boy table anyway...and don't deserve one.

But neither do (fill in the blanks) and they are all sitting at the table getting fat off the money generated by their elite brethren.

Yeah, we all know that the vast majority of the schools out there don't have a shot at a football title before the season even starts. For some, at least, they dominate (or are at least more competitive) in another sport like basketball, baseball, or some "non-revenue" sports, so they'll continue to live in the big boy conferences. Especially if they were lucky enough to get invited way back when the leagues were being created.

I think it would be better to create another sub-division, and give a whole new group of teams a legit chance at winning a title every year. Maybe some really good AA teams could come up and join the Baylors, Air Forces, New Mexicos, and Florida Atlantics. We could keep those lower-tiered bowl games and they could do another "plus one" playoff for that new division; we already have the template for how that works. No need to re-jigger the lower divisions.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we all know that the vast majority of the schools out there don't have a shot at a football title before the season even starts. For some, at least, they dominate (or are at least more competitive) in another sport like basketball, baseball, or some "non-revenue" sports, so they'll continue to live in the big boy conferences. Especially if they were lucky enough to get invited way back when the leagues were being created.

I think it would be better to create another sub-division, and give a whole new group of teams a legit chance at winning a title every year. Maybe some really good AA teams could come up and join the Baylors, Air Forces, New Mexicos, and Florida Atlantics. We could keep those lower-tiered bowl games and they could do another "plus one" playoff for that new division; we already have the template for how that works. No need to re-jigger the lower divisions.
Yeah, and the Wake Forests, Oregon States, Purdue, Vandys, Iowa States of the world can continue to anguish at the bottom of the totem pole...or maybe even the part of the totem pole that goes underground!

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think USC wants to sign up for a conference where the two most powerful members have threatened to blow the whole thing up a couple times in the past few years in addition to giving up the century-long history they have in their conference? And you act like the Big 12 money is a certainty going forward. It's not.

I'll address the only thing that's not your husker crybaby opinion of the Big 12. The money, and even if it doesn't go forward, its still twice the money of the pac (in tier 3). So hopefully for the pac's sake the pac 12 network somehow doubles its worth soon.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll address the only thing that's not your husker crybaby opinion of the Big 12. The money, and even if it doesn't go forward, its still twice the money of the pac (in tier 3). So hopefully for the pac's sake the pac 12 network somehow doubles its worth soon.
So Texas and OU weren't hoping to jump to the PAC a couple years back? And Oklahoma hasn't been rattling sabers about leaving here recently? That's just my "Husker crybaby opinion"?

Not to mention, if the money doesn't go forward, at that point it makes no difference that it used to be double. What matters what both conferences make from that point forward.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Texas and OU weren't hoping to jump to the PAC a couple years back? And Oklahoma hasn't been rattling sabers about leaving here recently? That's just my "Husker crybaby opinion"?

Not to mention, if the money doesn't go forward, at that point it makes no difference that it used to be double. What matters what both conferences make from that point forward.

Finally, you see my point. Whoever is making the least amount of money is in trouble.

No, if Texas wanted to jump to the pac then we'd be in the pac. Not sure about OU, all I do know is Nebraska wanted to leave so they left.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, you see my point. Whoever is making the least amount of money is in trouble.

No, if Texas wanted to jump to the pac then we'd be in the pac. Not sure about OU, all I do know is Nebraska wanted to leave so they left.
No, if the Big 12 makes less they are in trouble. If they are making more for everyone, then we could see an arrangement like we have currently going forward, although I think this whole thing is moving towards 4 conferences before too long, because that just makes more sense. In no scenario do I see the PAC going anywhere. The conference has been around for five times as long, is way more geographically isolated, and has an academic prestige that the Big 12 can't match.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, if the Big 12 makes less they are in trouble. If they are making more for everyone, then we could see an arrangement like we have currently going forward, although I think this whole thing is moving towards 4 conferences before too long, because that just makes more sense. In no scenario do I see the PAC going anywhere. The conference has been around for five times as long, is way more geographically isolated, and has an academic prestige that the Big 12 can't match.

Fine, we'll agree to disagree. I say the pac likes money, you say they like being isolated and not making as much as anybody else.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, we'll agree to disagree. I say the pac likes money, you say they like being isolated and not making as much as anybody else.
If the Big 12 was smart, they'd take the PAC brand regardless of who is making more money and combine conferences. Like it or not, the Big 12 brand just doesn't stand up because it was a mashup of two conferences and doesn't have the longevity.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big 12 was smart, they'd take the PAC brand regardless of who is making more money and combine conferences. Like it or not, the Big 12 brand just doesn't stand up because it was a mashup of two conferences and doesn't have the longevity.

Yes, take the regional brand that gets forgotten due to time zones is the way to go. You're full of brilliant business ideas, any more?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, take the regional brand that gets forgotten due to time zones is the way to go. You're full of brilliant business ideas, any more?
Do you want to debate which brand is stronger, both academically and athletically, between the Big 12 and the PAC? Seriously? Do you ever leave Texas?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't the Pac 10 founded in the 70's?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want to debate which brand is stronger, both academically and athletically, between the Big 12 and the PAC? Seriously? Do you ever leave Texas?

Sure, pull up who makes more. I get that as a husker you're bound to comment on every Texas/big 12 topic, and go full dummy but you can really stop now.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, pull up who makes more. I get that as a husker you're bound to comment on every Texas/big 12 topic, and go full dummy but you can really stop now.
I'm not talking about the money, I'm talking about the brand. Being on the west coast hurts the money a bit (as does starting up a TV network that the conference owns outright), but the PAC is a far stronger brand.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about the money, I'm talking about the brand. Being on the west coast hurts the money a bit (as does starting up a TV network that the conference owns outright), but the PAC is a far stronger brand.

hahaha this was your best post so far. "Yes they make less money, but they're a stronger brand". Move over Mark Cuban, we have the next American mogul.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha this was your best post so far. "Yes they make less money, but they're a stronger brand". Move over Mark Cuban, we have the next American mogul.
There's a reason that the topic of discussion recently has been if the Big 12 was going to survive or not and the PAC's survival does not come up.

I'll give you a hint...it's the brand.