• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope its just Houston and BYU at this point, no need to add bad teams just for the sake of numbers.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope its just Houston and BYU at this point, no need to add bad teams just for the sake of numbers.
B1G didn't hesitate to do just that...i.e. Maryland and Rutgers.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor out there

BYU, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati are the hot commodities. Three of them are from the AAC.

The poor Big East/AAC has been cannibalized by the ACC and Big 12.

West Virginia was Big East and TCU had agreed to join the Big East but never did. That is 4.5 schools.

The ACC took Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, Lousiville, and Notre Dame. That is 6.5.

What is funny, the Big East Conference sent a flower arrangement to the Big 12 in June 2010, during the Dan Beebe crisis.

The networks agree to keep the money the same for the Big 12 during the Dan Beebe crisis.

The Big 12 turns around and helps seal the death knell on the Big East and if this money stuff is correct on the pro-rata money, no matter who the Big 12 brings in, the Big 12 will be screwing over their network partners, the same ones that saved the Big 12. Now, that is how you build relationships.

Boise ST was going to join before TCU backed out as well.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why not? SEC, B1G, and Pac did. Expansion isn't about how good your football program is. TV markets and recruiting grounds, that's it....

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? SEC, B1G, and Pac did. Expansion isn't about how good your football program is. TV markets and recruiting grounds, that's it....

See Rutgers and Maryland.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, it's just markets, not recruiting. Secondly, markets aren't going to be nearly as significant moving forward with the whole "new paradigm" thing we've been talking about for the last little bit.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So just because someone else watered down their product means the Big 12 should? Plus a 14 team conf is a scheduling nightmare, I say add Houston in all sports, BYU in just football and call it a day.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just because someone else watered down their product means the Big 12 should? Plus a 14 team conf is a scheduling nightmare, I say add Houston in all sports, BYU in just football and call it a day.

If the big 12 needs to add teams, they are going to have to water it down. There is no escaping that. The only quality school out there is BYU. Anybody else you add outside BYU is watering it down. Might as well get a good TV market and some fertile recruiting grounds out of it.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the big 12 needs to add teams, they are going to have to water it down. There is no escaping that. The only quality school out there is BYU. Anybody else you add outside BYU is watering it down. Might as well get a good TV market and some fertile recruiting grounds out of it.

So then add BYU and 1 bad team, no need to add 3 bad teams.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to figure out how long Oklahoma would be stuck in this shitty conference if we add new teams. Is Oklahoma going to have to sign its life away to get these new additions and commit to years and years of being restrained from leaving the conference because we threw away our television rights, etc.? It seems like Texas would be asking the same questions.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to figure out how long Oklahoma would be stuck in this shitty conference if we add new teams. Is Oklahoma going to have to sign its life away to get these new additions and commit to years and years of being restrained from leaving the conference because we threw away our television rights, etc.? It seems like Texas would be asking the same questions.
That will answer the question of whether the Big 12 is long-term or not when it comes up. If there is no GOR extension, the Big 12 is dead when the current one runs out.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're working on a trade right now that would send you and okie light to the pac for Arizona and AZ state.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're working on a trade right now that would send you and okie light to the pac for Arizona and AZ state.

If we get to keep the game with Texas I'll pay good money to help that happen.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get to keep the game with Texas I'll pay good money to help that happen.

Well you'll lose about 7mil a year, so yes you'll be paying good money. And of course we keep the game.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 states, Iowa, Kansas, Utah, Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, Texas. Looks like the Memphis bribe worked. CCG sponsored by FedEx and played in Texas. Added three schools named after cities.

Tommy Tuberville coached at Texas Tech.

SMACKGATE: Tommy Tuberville apologizes, reprimanded by Big 12
Texas Tech's Tuberville reprimanded by Big 12
Big 12 Conference Reprimands Texas Tech Football Coach Tommy Tuberville

View attachment 142618

Big 12 North
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
BYU
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Memphis

Big 12 South
Texas Tech
Baylor
Houston
TCU
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Those divisions would be extremely unbalanced in terms of competitiveness.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you'll lose about 7mil a year, so yes you'll be paying good money. And of course we keep the game.

I keep hearing about the money. But something tells me the West Coast teams will eventually end up doing just fine. They have every advantage they could want (except the Pacific time zone unless they add teams from the Central time zone to help out) so things are bound to work out at some point. I'd gladly sacrifice $7 Million in athletic revenues to join a conference with Cal, USC, UCLA, Washington and Stanford. It would be worth every penny in the long run. Yea, send OU to the Pac 12, keep the Texas game and let the chips fall where they may. I'd take that.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing about the money. But something tells me the West Coast teams will eventually end up doing just fine. They have every advantage they could want (except the Pacific time zone unless they add teams from the Central time zone to help out) so things are bound to work out at some point. I'd gladly sacrifice $7 Million in athletic revenues to join a conference with Cal, USC, UCLA, Washington and Stanford. It would be worth every penny in the long run. Yea, send OU to the Pac 12, keep the Texas game and let the chips fall where they may. I'd take that.

I'll make the call

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, it's just markets, not recruiting. Secondly, markets aren't going to be nearly as significant moving forward with the whole "new paradigm" thing we've been talking about for the last little bit.

Not true at all, the Pac 12 teams don't give two shits about the money Texas or Oklahoma brings, they care about gaining access to the Texas recruiting area. The Pac12 will end up fine but we aren't like other conferences, we depend solely on one state to fill out a football team.